LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on fabricating intake tubes either for my front brakes or my intake through the ex-fog light housing. I removed the front lense of the fog light, and grinded down the channel where the lense sat and have added a black reducer to see how well it will catch the air. Haven't started working on the tubing yet. I have painted the pieces since I took the picture of the side profile, and cleaned up the sanded edges. Don't mind those nasty headlights, they're being replaced at some point, since they're cracked.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had thought about cutting up the headlight and removing the high beam section with a pass through tube for the driver side, but maybe I will mess with that when I have new headlights ready to go in. Just gathering ideas as I go along. Anyone made an intake tube from their fog lights for either the intake or brake cooling ducts?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Was planning on doing the same for putting coolers in that location. Just don't think I'll ever have the clearance .

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was planning on doing the same for putting coolers in that location. Just don't think I'll ever have the clearance .
I thought about cutting out a section of the lower grill on each side with an inlet collector and then running neoprene air duct hose up. I always start something and then find a new direction and go that way. Having an 04 I luck out with the space behind the fog light area.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I thought about cutting out a section of the lower grill on each side with an inlet collector and then running neoprene air duct hose up. I always start something and then find a new direction and go that way. Having an 04 I luck out with the space behind the fog light area.
Id have room but Id have to figure out something for the inner cooler piping. Can only throw so many coolers in front of my rad and behind my innercooler.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good idea I might steal the idea lol
Haven't had any time to continue working on it recently. I still need to order the neoprene tubing and buy a bit for grinding out a bigger opening in the plate that the original intake box was bolted onto for the tube to come up through. Going to get my car inspected today since it was due for inspection back in December but has been sitting for almost half a year. Hoping inspection station will pass my car after all the mods I have done since last year. Nothing affected emissions or safety so hopefully I should be ok.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Here's a picture from the front what it looks like before paint and final sanding, it's just resting in there in this picture nothing is bolted in or tightened down.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,243 Posts
I had this same idea but never got around to doing it. Now I'm just making do with the Porsche ducts, although I haven't been able to test them on a track yet (thanks China).

If you've never seen this thread:
And some more light reading:

If you're going to blast through some mountains or hit the track, those ducts will be very useful.

Reactions: Chopstick

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had this same idea but never got around to doing it. Now I'm just making do with the Porsche ducts, although I haven't been able to test them on a track yet (thanks China).

If you've never seen this thread:
And some more light reading:

If you're going to blast through some mountains or hit the track, those ducts will be very useful.
i've now added those spindle ducts to my GTO folder on my phone where i keep all my project ideas

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,243 Posts
Bad news, those Lambert Performance (formerly Quantum Motorsports) brake ducts seem to be gone as "lapponline dot com" is a dead site. Jon Lambert hasn't been active over on SSForums in a while either.

I still have a set but I'm not ready to part with them yet...

·
Registered
457 Posts
I had this setup for years. I used the entire size the the fog light hole and put a pipe over it rather than through it. I had a 4" intake tube and a shield around the filter and the tube from the fog light routed directly underneath the filter. It worked very good and I had ambient intake temps. I recently removed it and installed a VCM otrcai and I had zero gains in my tests. Also the homemade intake seemed to actually run a little cooler and closer to ambient than my OTRCAI which after heatsoaking runs a few degrees over ambient after cruising. The homemade fog light would always seem to come back to ambient and would come back faster. I did do back to back testing on the same day to verify this. I also did 35-90 runs back to back on the same day with a draggy and there was no gains in time comparing the two intakes. All in one gear of course in the same exact spot of road. Pretty interesting considering the hype of the OTRCAI. The VCM is better looking though.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Front inlet is done, painted and bolted in. Gonna maybe order the neoprene and a grinding bit after I get back from the beach so I can work on passing the tube up to the air filter. I run a cold air inductions filter kit with the box and heat shielding. I could probably use for a new filter while I am in there cleaning things up and cutting out a bigger hole for the tube to pass through. I mirrored the fog inlet design for the other side as well so it looks exactly the same. I want to look into relocating the battery to the trunk since I have taken so much weight from the rear.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,243 Posts
Interested in under hood pics.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The only engine bay picture I actually have is of me jump starting the GTO when my battery was shot from my accessory issue from the ignition switch. It's just the standard Cold Air Inductions intake that has the box with the heat shielding in it. Engine bay has not been cleaned in a very long time. Here's a far shot from Operation: GTO start. Picture is back from the winter time so the inlet's are the old style I had and they were not hooked up to anything.
IMG_20200311_1743399.jpg

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have an endless list of projects that keep adding up. It seems like I will never finish my car. Just got my new hood shocks in today and a 3rd brake light LED strip that I am going to replace the rear deck lid light with.

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
440 Posts
This is similar to what I am working on with my car. I actually started out with designing a piece to be fitted behind the rotor that will direct the air straight inside the rotor and be forced out through the vents. Here are some pictures of that:

Then I was going to design some ducts to install in the fog lights similar to what you are doing.. but I ran out of time and had to put something together for my once a year track day.. so I went with some oil funnels from autozone..

Anyway.. now I'm working on designing some better ducts for the front but I also want to make them attachable to the bottom of the bumper and re-install the fog lights because I have been driving around like this since that track day on the street as well and it doesn't look great..

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is similar to what I am working on with my car. I actually started out with designing a piece to be fitted behind the rotor that will direct the air straight inside the rotor and be forced out through the vents. Here are some pictures of that:

Then I was going to design some ducts to install in the fog lights similar to what you are doing.. but I ran out of time and had to put something together for my once a year track day.. so I went with some oil funnels from autozone..

Anyway.. now I'm working on designing some better ducts for the front but I also want to make them attachable to the bottom of the bumper and re-install the fog lights because I have been driving around like this since that track day on the street as well and it doesn't look great..

That looks great, pretty much exactly what I am doing (for now just my intake)

I used a PVC reducer (after painting it black) and dremeled out a hole in the center of the rear of the fog light housing and slid the reducer through that. Fasted down the reducer to the fog light housing via one hose clamp and a rubber grommet (easy to remove and replace with the 3 nuts that hold in the housing). I just got back from the beach and I still need to order the neoprene tubing for the air intake. Is that rotor duct inlet made from a 3D printer? I want to use a more aero efficient inlet for the air so there isn't as much turbulence from the current one. The inlet itself is maybe 2 inches, which does not allow that much air but its better than no air I reckon.

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
440 Posts
That looks great, pretty much exactly what I am doing (for now just my intake)

I used a PVC reducer (after painting it black) and dremeled out a hole in the center of the rear of the fog light housing and slid the reducer through that. Fasted down the reducer to the fog light housing via one hose clamp and a rubber grommet (easy to remove and replace with the 3 nuts that hold in the housing). I just got back from the beach and I still need to order the neoprene tubing for the air intake. Is that rotor duct inlet made from a 3D printer? I want to use a more aero efficient inlet for the air so there isn't as much turbulence from the current one. The inlet itself is maybe 2 inches, which does not allow that much air but its better than no air I reckon.
I did have that piece 3D printed. I was worried about how it will handle the heat, being so close to the rotor, but I've done a track day with that set-up and it still looks fine (just a tiny bit of warping near the top corner). I think the prints cost me something like $30-$40.

As far as how well it works, I could only compare it to a friend who was driving a BMW 135i on the same track as me (very different car but very similar weight and size of brakes, plus some factory brake ducts on the bumper). His brakes were around 500 F when we got back to the pits and mine were around 350 F. I know its nowhere near a proper test but I did not have temp data from before I installed these and also think that those were actually very good temperatures still.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts