LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at an K&N airfilter upgrade and also an upgrade to the MAF. Of course the MAF is about 10 times more than the K&N. Since they both deal with airflow I was wondering if it is worth doing both or is one way more effective than the other?

:D

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
On a stock bolt-on motor, you may see some benfit from an aftermarket MAF but this is an argument bantered back and forth. A lot has to do with cost of the MAF. Is it worth it for the gain?

If you plan on doing a heads and cam motor and want to tune it, running the stock MAF is much preferable. Even with my conservative H&C setup (by today's standards, I did mine back in 98) I'm over the 400rwhp mark with a stock MAF.

·
Registered
227 Posts
To me a aftermarket MAF isn't worth the money. When my Firehawk was stock I spent the money and put a Granatelli MAF on it and only picked-up 7 rear wheel horsepower.

When I got the head, cam and long tube header package we dyno'd the car with the stock and the Granatelli MAF and found the stock MAF made more horsepower.

Shortly after that I sold the Granatelli on e-bay.

·
Registered
28 Posts
And as far as the K&N goes, dont waste you time. On the LS1 F-Cars people are running fram filters because they have more than adequate flow rates and filter the dirt out. People have compared the two filters on the dyno and on the track and there is no difference between the two power wise. And people have had oil analysis done and with the k&n there was a lot of dirt in the oil. If you actually hold one up to the light you can see the open holes that are barely enough to stop sand. Look on LS1.com and you can verify this.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
My own dyno results done back to back on PTC's dyno in Elk Grove Village

K&N = 316rwhp
Regular paper Fram = 318rwhp

·
Registered
28 Posts
Plus a lot of people have had trouble with shifting on auto cars with ported mafs and detonation, the timing on the newer cars is right on the edge from the factory.

·
Banned
840 Posts
In Australia we totally delete the MAF from the LS1 GTO software altogether, which allows much better inlet plumbing, makes a bunch more power, and makes the throttle response sharper. We sell the 'Billy Goat' GTO package that has the special MAF pipe and Mafless tune

Ls1edit Australia

·
Banned
4,195 Posts
Interesting, I wonder why I never heard of doing a MAF delete on this site? Anyone do this?

·
May I quote you on that?
22,049 Posts
Interesting, I wonder why I never heard of doing a MAF delete on this site? Anyone do this?
Lots of folks have done it. It remains controversial, partly because of advice from tuners who are too lazy to map out the VE table, which is a PITA on a Dynojet, or people who don't want to pay someone to do it right. It's somewhat more popular with people who do their own tuning because fueling can be mapped on the street. It's just more time consuming.

·
Banned
4,195 Posts
Ahhh, thank you Mike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts