LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I have an 06gto that just hit 90k miles. Just replaced the slave cylinder, so the engine was leaned back to remove the trans. After I got it all buttoned back up, it started great the first few times. Then, one time it simply clicked once. Nothing else happened. All my other electronics work, like radio, windows, lights. But, the starter just clicks once. Tried it again, car started just fine. It keeps going back and forth between clicking once and starting perfectly. Is it possible i loosened up a ground wire or something? If so, where all might I look to find them? Any help is appreciated.

·
Worthless reject member
40,147 Posts
Check the connections to the starter. Check the engine ground (there should be a rather big one on the passenger side, around the a/c compressor and engine mount. Think it actually goes through one of the long m10 bolts for the a/c bracket). Check the battery terminal connections for looseness or corrosion.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, an update. I think it might be a clutch position sensor. If i release the clutch and push it back in after it clicks, it seems to want to start. I'll take a look at that tonight and make a decision.

·
Worthless reject member
40,147 Posts
If it was the clutch position sensor, the starter solenoid wouldn't click. It would just not do anything when you turned the key.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update: This has magically fixed itself... for now. I don't know what the problem really was.

·
wut?
480 Posts
All,

I have an 06gto that just hit 90k miles. Just replaced the slave cylinder, so the engine was leaned back to remove the trans. After I got it all buttoned back up, it started great the first few times. Then, one time it simply clicked once. Nothing else happened. All my other electronics work, like radio, windows, lights. But, the starter just clicks once. Tried it again, car started just fine. It keeps going back and forth between clicking once and starting perfectly. Is it possible i loosened up a ground wire or something? If so, where all might I look to find them? Any help is appreciated.
I literally just came here to post about this same exact problem, I couldn't believe it when I read this. I also have an 06 with 80k & it's doing this same exact thing. When I try to start it, it'll click once, then silence (with normal lights on). If I turn the key a second time, silence again. On the third turn, it'll fire right up. This car has been putting me through hell with starting issues, I am about to tear my hair out trying to fix the gremlins. Please, if you figure it out can you post the cause in here??

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,131 Posts
I've had this happen a few times over the years.
It's always been the battery until it was finally the starter a year or two ago.

Get your basics checked, then hunt for gremlins.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I literally just came here to post about this same exact problem, I couldn't believe it when I read this. I also have an 06 with 80k & it's doing this same exact thing. When I try to start it, it'll click once, then silence (with normal lights on). If I turn the key a second time, silence again. On the third turn, it'll fire right up. This car has been putting me through hell with starting issues, I am about to tear my hair out trying to fix the gremlins. Please, if you figure it out can you post the cause in here??
So I have no idea what the problem was.... it fixed itself and is working perfectly fine now. Sorry I am not any more of a help to you.

·
2006GTO M6 dd-drag-roadcourse
1,504 Posts
When it happened to me i tried to convince myself it wasnt the starter... just spend the money, jack the car up and change it... bet you wont hear “click nothing” anymore. Its only a matter of time before 3 clicks turns into 20 trying to get the damn thing to start.

·
wut?
480 Posts
Just wanted to post an update on my car since it was doing the same exact thing, turn the key, clicks once, silence. It would do that 2-3 times before turning over. It was in fact the starter, because now after a replacement, it fires up quicker than the day I bought the car!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts