LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sent them an email asking if they were considering a kit for the LS2 engine, their reply was: "WE DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING IN PRODUCTION RIGHT NOW FOR IT.IT IS RUMORED THAT THE GTO WILL COME FACTORY SUPERCHARGED IN THE NEAR FUTURE.THANK YOU." Has anyone else heard this before because I havent. :confused:

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Judge maybe, they were just pulling your chain. Future Supercharged GTO would have had its beans spilt here already.

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
maybe they were speaking of something beyond '05

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
I call BS. GM wouldnt put one on an LS1 or LS2, they might but it on a truck motor with a lower compression ratio. Anyways, If they did supercharge a motor they would most likely use an eaton blower. Whipple would be all over that. The big dawg upgrade for 03/04 cobras is a KB or a Whipple.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
I'm not buying that either, but it is possible. Doesn't seem like a power play GM needs to make though. Going after the Cobra with a blower, forged internals, etc would absolutely net one of the sickest cars on the street today. GM has put alot of effort into NA motors and the LS2 at 400hp is very stout, so much so that it practically matchs the underrated 03 Cobra motor that needed a mess of cams, valves, and boost to make those numbers. Now if we consider a Z06 of the new C6 with more than 400hp, maybe something in the neighborhood of 450-500 that motor could easily find duty in the GTO (Judge ?). Still not FI and making sick power :hail:

Now i prefer NA power, but i can see a big group of GM guys from Silverado SS owners, SSR, GTO, and of course the new Camaro wanting a FI model for the shear ease and cost of modding, such as the 03 Cobra.

So it could, but likely won't happen. Consider that for about 5 years test production cars with the LS1 have ran around with blowers such as the Vette (tigershark). I remember a blown Escalade (not LS1), Transam, Sunfire, Cavalier too.

·
Try Me
85 Posts
Adam4356 said:
I'm not buying that either, but it is possible. Doesn't seem like a power play GM needs to make though. Going after the Cobra with a blower, forged internals, etc would absolutely net one of the sickest cars on the street today. GM has put alot of effort into NA motors and the LS2 at 400hp is very stout, so much so that it practically matchs the underrated 03 Cobra motor that needed a mess of cams, valves, and boost to make those numbers. Now if we consider a Z06 of the new C6 with more than 400hp, maybe something in the neighborhood of 450-500 that motor could easily find duty in the GTO (Judge ?). Still not FI and making sick power :hail:
You seem to forget the Cobra motor is only 4.6L where the LS2 is at 6L's. If the Cobra motor was the Same displacement as the LS2.. It would have 600 horsepower. You cannot compare the F/I Cobra Motor to the N/A LS2.

As for the 4V DOHC vs. The Pushrod Setup. Give me 4 Valves and 4 Cams anytime over the old Pushrod Design.

What's so wrong with F/I Power? LS Series Owners wish they had my low end torque and my built block.

·
Try Me
85 Posts
miamio said:
I'm an LS series owner and I don't wish for any part of the mustang
Then You're a fool blinded by brand loyalty.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
NBS4 said:
I would watch what you say. You could be called a fool blinded by brand loyalty as well. The fact is, people buy what they like. This isn't communist Russia where everyone drives the same black motorcycle engined sedan. We buy our cars based on what we like about them. Some people like GMs. Some people like Fords. Some people like NA. Some people like FI.

Live and let live.

My first vehicle was a Ford Explorer. I then owned a Chrysler 300M Special. Now I own a Pontiac GTO. I learned to drive in my parents two Toyotas (Camry and 4Runner). No brand loyalty here, I just buy what I like at the time. :)

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Well, DOHC vs. pushrod. Let's consider these equations.....

multiple small valves vs. bigger valve = same

displacement vs. positive displacement FI = same

There is no reason to want multivalve, DOHC other than a expensive, modding nightmare. I love how people believe they have some technological wonder in multivalve, DOHC motors. Consider a pushrod motor which is lighter, easier to work on, cheaper to manufacturer in bulk, and gets great gas mileage. Not to mention it can be put in ridiculously small engine bays while bringing huge displacement numbers.

As for why FI is not for everyone. The real talent in motor design is NA power, with emissions legality, and gas mileage. You can boost anything but i respect raw hp more. Just IMO.

·
I...I...I got Nothin
961 Posts
It's not really important whether or not one car has a factory blower or one car has a 346 or a 6 liter. Are they both fast as hell? Do they both get over 25 mpg on the highway? They do? Well...that's good enough for me.

And you are comparing apples to apples. See above for my reasoning. Even if the car is an 80000 USD XJR or a Silverado pick-up lowered and blown to 600 horsepower is irrelevent. They are both PERFORMANCE vehicles that do compete against each other where ever they happen to meet up.

Now if you where trying argue the off-road capabilities of the Corvette versus the Defender 90, you would have a pretty legitimate apples to oranges argument.

That's all I have to say about that.

·
Ph.D. in R.E.
407 Posts
There are a few places in Australia that are just now experimenting with an LSx supercharger kit using a twin screw Whipple-type blower. The one guy I got an email from priced his 600 hp kit at nearly $10,000 USD. He didn't mention what all was in it, but he did say it was complete. For that price, I certainly hope so...

·
3,327 Posts
miamio said:
I'm an LS series owner and I don't wish for any part of the mustang
NBS4 said:
Lets not get into this ok? This is a discussion about Whipple, is it not?

·
Grumpy Old Man
393 Posts
Adam4356 said:
As for why FI is not for everyone. The real talent in motor design is NA power, with emissions legality, and gas mileage. You can boost anything but i respect raw hp more. Just IMO.
I'm sorry, but that is an ignorant statement from anyone who appreciates modern vehicle performance. My GTO and my 94 RX7 are both fast, edge to the RX7 because of mods and tuning. However, if you are gonna sit here and tell me the twin turbo setup, accompanying mods, and skill it takes to tune that engine is not as "talented" as "raw HP", then maybe you should take up tuning turbocharged cars let alone rotaries. There are about 5 solid tuners in THE WHOLE U.S.A. that can tune that car. And the twin turbo setup in that car and others are nightmares do to the mess of vacuum lines, solenoids, possible boost leaks, actuator valves, charge relief valve, etc. etc. Much more complicated than a 5.7/6.0 V8 engine in your bay. In fact, there are a few RX7's that have done an LS1 swap because it makes life easier.

Now, if you simply want to say you enjoy the workings and sound of a NA pushrod and it's HP, fine, but to say what you did...in the manner you did...is laughable.

·
3,327 Posts
I thought that simplicity was the point, not how hard it is. Ok, I will shutup now.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Warren said:
I thought that simplicity was the point, not how hard it is. Ok, I will shutup now.
I guess we are just simple minded.
:drink::drink:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts