LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new here. I have a 2005 GTO. Bought it last fall, stored it over the winter and have loved driving it since the warm weather has come.

The engine is supposed to have the following mods. :
Tfs 225 CNC heads(milled to 60cc)
Proform black valve covers
Jesel adjustable 1.7 rockers
BTR 660 platinum springs
Comp cams pushrods
Cam motion solid roller camshaft
241/249 112. +3 lsa .660 lift
Morel lifters
CAI cold air intake manifold
Fast 102 lsxr intake manifold
Obx 1 7/8" long tube headers
ZL1 exhaust (cat delete)
Under drive pulley
SJM Mfg Line Lock kit
Katech C5R roller timing chain
Melling high volume oil pump
160F Thermostat

Now the bad, I think I spun a bearing. Took a buddy for a rip and on the second pull it started to make a Squeak/squealing noise.
Had the car towed home and started taking it apart.
As we were taking engine apart to inspect the damage, the drivers side valve cover was loose and I had oil on the hood. So I believe (but not certain) that was culprit for oil loose and spun bearing

So my questions are:
#1 can I pull the entire tranny and SHORTblock together?

#2 if my crank is hooped, what sort of aftermarket ones are good? Stroker?

#3 anything I should know before I reassemble?

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
There was a guy on one of the FB groups who posted a video of a chirping sound, ended up being a lifter. Might be worth checking before pulling the engine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There was a guy on one of the FB groups who posted a video of a chirping sound, ended up being a lifter. Might be worth checking before pulling the engine.
Well i have the engine already torn down to just the short block, and it looks like one of the valves just kissed the piston, no big damage, but it did touch it.

either way, I'm glad i have done what i have done so far as i have found few issues.

·
The battle of wits has begun.
2,278 Posts
:worthless:

Doing a full teardown, upload some pics! (Fuck photobucket, use Imgur or something equivalent.)

Buying other people's project cars = buying undisclosed problems with some nice parts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:worthless:

Doing a full teardown, upload some pics! (Fuck photobucket, use Imgur or something equivalent.)

Buying other people's project cars = buying undisclosed problems with some nice parts.

This was never supposed to be a project. The was supposed to be a turn key build from a reputable shop.

Pictures as requested.

·
The battle of wits has begun.
2,278 Posts
This was never supposed to be a project. The was supposed to be a turn key build from a reputable shop.
I remember saying that too...

Clean garage AND organized! :gtfo:

That said, I can't comment on removing the engine and transmission through the top because I haven't done it. But removing the transmission is fairly easy so that's what I would recommend. That way you don't have to deal with lowering the engine cradle and steering rack.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
994 Posts
This sort of thing scared me away from more than one potential LSx purchase over the years.

Looks like you're setup well to tackle the challenge. There are never enough pictures...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This sort of thing scared me away from more than one potential LSx purchase over the years.

Looks like you're setup well to tackle the challenge. There are never enough pictures...

Yes, it’s not my first build.

I used to own a 1996 SVT COBRA.
In my driveway I pulled the engine and put it back in, but I had the engine built somewhere else as I was scared of the over head cams.

Since then I have rebuilt 10-15 two and four stroke quad engines, So engine mechanics is not foreign to me, but LS stuff is.

I got the car jack up today and part of the exhaust out.

Busy job and family limits my time in the shop.

I’ve almost bought a car hoist twice in my life.
Right about now I wish I pulled the trigger the last time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
6 Participants
Power_Man
LS1GTO.com Forums
LS1GTO.com is a forum community dedicated to the LS1 Pontiac GTO. Come discuss mods, horsepower, engine specs and more!
Full Forum Listing