LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having an issue with my fuel gauge where it will stay on empty all the time even when full. I already replaced a faulty level/sender in the tank, but we could not get the gauge to work. Able to sweep the needles with a tech2.

So after reading the TSB on this issue we decided we needed to flash the IPC with the newer software since my VIN is before the breakout.

Yesterday I went by my mechanics shop and he purchased the 2 day "service reprogramming" software from GM's TIS website.

We are using a snap on Pass thru pro 2 along with a windows 7 laptop(we were using xp, but were told it needed to be win7) PC should have no problems with requirements and I have java 6 on there.

The problem is, we can start the SPS program and connect to the car, but we get an error whenever we try to reprogram the IPC. We can go into the ECU and it will communicate, but when we pick IPC it always comes back with "E4399 Severe error when comunicating with ECU or device..."

I tried different versions of java, like java 7. Made sure the fw and antivirus software was disabled.

I don't what the issue is and honestly don't even know if we are doing it right. Has anyone done this recently and if so can you describe what method you used? My mechanic does have a tech 2 as well but we couldn't get it to work with the TIS2Web, gave us the same error. Can this be done with just the tech2 instead of the passthru? I am going back after work today to try some more, any insight would be MOST appreciated.

·
Administrator
20,433 Posts
Just to be that guy, have you tried disconnecting the battery and reconnecting?
This issue is very common and most of the time a battery reset solves it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, we have left the battery disconnected. We also pulled the two fuses for as recommended by another TSB i saw. I think it was the anti theft and ECM or BCM fuse? Neither helped.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One other thing i just thought of. I did do the VZclustermod a few months ago. I activated the shift light, dimmed the mph and added a custom shutdown message.

Now I wouldnt think that this would keep me from communicating with the IPC but I dunno.

Has anyone who has done the clustermod also reprogrammed the IPC on an 04? Or can anyone say with certainty that the clustermod would not affect reprogramming the IPC?

·
Administrator
20,433 Posts
One other thing i just thought of. I did do the VZclustermod a few months ago. I activated the shift light, dimmed the mph and added a custom shutdown message.
Thats an important detail.

Now I wouldnt think that this would keep me from communicating with the IPC but I dunno.
It would if its looking for a specific checksum, but I have no idea if it does that or not. Can you restore it to the original programming?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats an important detail.

It would if its looking for a specific checksum, but I have no idea if it does that or not. Can you restore it to the original programming?
I was thinking about restoring it to default today before trying the reprogram again. I'm not sure if 1337Vending came out with the "reset to default" preset or not. I remember when I first did it, I didnt see a preset for that but I believe he was going to add one. I will have to look it up and see how to restore to default.

·
Registered
524 Posts
You definetely need to switch back to java 6. For whatever reason the java 7 isn't working with gm's programming interface. I work at a gm shop and whenever you open up TIS there should be a pop up that instructs to backdate java on your pc. Not sure if you get that pop up since you aren't logging in thru the same website I do. If you have any issues I might be able to help you out. Provided you don't hose me and change my password if you don't get it programmed in your 48 hour window PM me and we can figure something out with you using my password and login

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You definetely need to switch back to java 6. For whatever reason the java 7 isn't working with gm's programming interface. I work at a gm shop and whenever you open up TIS there should be a pop up that instructs to backdate java on your pc. Not sure if you get that pop up since you aren't logging in thru the same website I do. If you have any issues I might be able to help you out. Provided you don't hose me and change my password if you don't get it programmed in your 48 hour window PM me and we can figure something out with you using my password and login
Thank you for the help. Yes I did install the java 6 that it prompted me with when I opened TIS. I am very new to all this so I am not sure if the problem is with the passthru device, my car or just the way we are doing it in general.

I appreciate the offer and no I would not "hose" you lol. I'm not that kind of person. my mechanic already has a login and we have the software but only till the end of today. Your saying your login would allow me to continue to use that software after our trial runs out correct? If that is the case, if we can't get this working today that would be helpful.

Are you using the tech2 or are you using some sort of passthru device? My mechanic is trying to use his snap on pass thru pro 2. we purchased the "service reprogramming" 2 day subscription.

I log onto the GM website, select access subscriptions and it pops me into a screen with SPS. From there we select SPS and it prompts for java. I download and install the 2 apps(one was some TIS2web program and the other java) Afterwards it asks to install software for MDI and Tech2 which we skip since we are using the pass thru pro2.

At this point i get to the main TIS? screen where you can pick your year, make and model. It then brings up and shows me the correct vin. From there I have IPC, ECU/BCM and Theft deterrent. I select IPC then Normal below(not VIC) and hit next. This is as far as I get, it comes back with the E4399 error every time. I can go back and enter the ECU and it reads the data, just not on the IPC. So we are pretty stumped as to whether the problem is the snap on pass thru, something on our laptop or just the way we are doing it in general. Maybe my problem is the clustermod I did, I do not know.

Definitely appreciate any and all help

·
Registered
524 Posts
I typically program pass thru with a MDI. We have tech2's in the shop but since GM has released tech2win software we can now use a laptop as a tech 2 while communicating thru the MDI. This is just for your typical scan tool functions and merely nothing else with tech2win.

Sounds like you are going thru the program procedure properly how you are describing it. Try using a tech2 passthru and see if that resolves your issue. If you indeed need my login and password you will login thru the website I use and enter TIS that way. There is no time restraint on my login due to the fact I am at a dealership.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Try using a tech2 passthru and see if that resolves your issue. If you indeed need my login and password you will login thru the website I use and enter TIS that way. There is no time restraint on my login due to the fact I am at a dealership.
Thanks again. Pardon me if this is a stupid question but would the tech2 passthru be? I'm guessing its just another piece of hardware that allows you to connect the tech2 directly to the laptop and car? So at the dealership, what equipment do you use? Are you using an actual tech2 or just the tech2win software on a laptop with the tech2 passthru device?

Last night we tried using his tech 2, but the problem is he said he does not have the updated TIS for the tech2. The tech2 itself is updated, but he said his TIS is only good up to the year 2000? So I don't think we can use the tech2 to reprogram it.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
he needs to use either the tis2web (I cannot get this to work with my personal tech2) or tis2000 (laptop based only good until 2007 model year, but that does cover the GTO, as long as that TSB came out before January 1, 2008 when the TIS system went away from the DVD to the online version (tis2web)

Ryan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts