LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and couldn't find an answer for this question. I would like to know if anyone been able to reach the 500rwhp mark with a H/C LS2. What heads and cam was used?

·
Eco Friendly
3,762 Posts
LSs1Power said:
I did a search and couldn't find an answer for this question. I would like to know if anyone been able to reach the 500rwhp mark with a H/C LS2. What heads and cam was used?
Yes and yes it's posted and can be found with a search :D

Contact Ed Curtis over at Flowtech and he'll tell you what you need to buy from him to reach your goal.

·
Eco Friendly
3,762 Posts
The famous "HELLION"
LSX Hydraulic Roller Camshaft Kit

Includes:
"HELLION" Camshaft
Specs: 243*-247*-112*-.629"-.629"
Comp Cams 26921-16 Valve Springs
FTI Hardened Spring Locators
FTI Super Seven Ti Retainers
FTI Super Seven Valve Locks
Viton Valve Seals
Manton Pro-Series Pushrods

$1350 shipped!

C5 - 347 forged shortblock - AFR 205 heads - LG headers - over 500 RWHP

2005 GTO - 364 stock shortblock - ETP 225 - Kooks Headers - FAST - 513+ RWHP
http://www.flowtechinduction.com/packages.htm

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
It's doable, but not for the faint of heart as far as driveability goes. It can still be done and be a daily driver, it just might need some getting used to....

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
It has been done few times with very aggressive
M6 setups, only with ET 225 heads IIRC.

·
Banned
620 Posts
Actually we have two GTOs out there making right at 500rwhp. One is a TEA LS6 Stage 2.5 headed setup and the other is a TrickFlow 215cc headed setup. We also have a board member Luke thats making 480s with an LS2 intake and stock waterpump... Looking for right at 500rwhp with a ported FAST and an electric WP.....

It can be done with the right setup.

GMH GTO said:
It has been done few times with very aggressive
M6 setups, only with ET 225 heads IIRC.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually we have two GTOs out there making right at 500rwhp. One is a TEA LS6 Stage 2.5 headed setup and the other is a TrickFlow 215cc headed setup. We also have a board member Luke thats making 480s with an LS2 intake and stock waterpump... Looking for right at 500rwhp with a ported FAST and an electric WP.....

480rwhp is awsome using the stock LS2 intake manifold and pump. What heads/cam is he using?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts

500rwhp comming soon hopefull here toward the end of October!!! talk to Ron he will hook you up with the best!!!!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Unknown said:
500RWHP is doable and has been done. As said contact Ed Curtis at Flowtech, he will get you there :)

that hellion looks like one damn big cam if i was running a cam that big i would already be at 500rwhp... look at my cam size still a great nice meaty cam but still runs fine as a DD. again its all in how you want the drive ablilty and its all in the tune and Vengeance Racing is proving to be the top tunner around....

·
110% Stock... :D
2,085 Posts
luke0927 said:
that hellion looks like one damn big cam if i was running a cam that big i would already be at 500rwhp... look at my cam size still a great nice meaty cam but still runs fine as a DD. again its all in how you want the drive ablilty and its all in the tune and Vengeance Racing is proving to be the top tunner around....
Many people are running the Hellion on a DD car, so it can be done with a good tune.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Unknown said:
Many people are running the Hellion on a DD car, so it can be done with a good tune.
The HELLRAISER Camshaft looks more driveable on a DD car. Those lifts are going to be hard on the springs though.
Specs: 238*-242*-111*-.650"-.620"

Anyone have a vid of a Hellion or Hellraiser car idling?

·
Banned
620 Posts
luke0927 said:
Thanx Luke!!! We will hit that magic 500 next time you are in the shop!!!!

FWIW, everyone chooses cams for different reasons.... No doubt Ed has some sticks out there, but he is not the only fella who can grind a stick to make the # on the dyno AND the track :) :)

Cartek was making close to 500rwhp over two years ago with lil ole 224/228 camshafts :)

·
Still a communist state
12,479 Posts
hmmm....ill get there next year.....hell yes :)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
After we installed the H/C/ and a few other boltons (headers ported intake) [email protected] works his majic....im tunned to run 93 on the street all the time any time.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
speeddemon said:
hmmm....ill get there next year.....hell yes :)

Good luck!!!! :gears:

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
This can get crazy very quickly...

Making 500 peak is definitely possible. A few talented people have been able to do it.

However...

What we have done with our cam packages, is provide that power level over a longer and broader range of RPM, whereas others have problems doing it. Remember, it's AVERAGE power that makes your car faster and quicker, not a random peak number.

If you look at the original Hellion profile from about three years ago, the owner of the mule LS1 C5 noted the amazingly FLAT curve on the dyno sheet vs his old X grind. Though it did get to 503 RWHP on the 347 short block, it carried this power for a range of over 1000 RPM with no sharp drop in power to redline. It not only made good peak power, but a lot more average power allowing the driver to run much faster than his larger, X grind. Last I heard it went high tens before the driveline self-destructed!

The latest version of the Hellion, the one Wakerider has in his LS2 GTO, carries the 500+ mark for over a 1500 RPM range with a peak of 513 HP in his particular car. There were no signs of a sharp drop in power either, like other big cam combinations have shown. If you need unbiased proof of the power of this grind, drop a quick Email to the boys at New Era. They'll show you a comparison between the Hellion vs another popular "big grind" and how it has more power from 3000 RPM through 4500 RPM though it is only 9 HP higher at peak where most of the "hype" is discussed. AVERAGE power rules!

One item that still gets lost to the end user, is the way the Hellion and StreetBeast grinds always have better idle characteristics and are much easier to tune than a lot of big camshafts. Every single tuner that has worked with these packages has specifically noted how easy these were to tune. Formato said the Wakerider car was a piece of cake to get right. Mike and Matt at New Era fired up a "cam only" F body using the Hellion and were amazed it idled and road well, even before the tune was started. Even my bro Jeff Creech (who, like me does not like big sticks) noted how the StreetBeast grinds are not as "sick" as most camshafts with similar duration numbers.

Sure people can spout off amazing peak numbers with their big LSK or XER Comp Cams grinds, but none of these people ever mention the low average power numbers these cams end up with. Numbers that you see when you drive these cars on the asphalt.

Do the research... Look for strong numbers EVERYWHERE, not just at 6700 RPM. After all, not everyone drives their car in high gear, floored on rollers.

Ed

·
Banned
620 Posts
I couldnt agree more Ed!!! Peak #s are only a small portion of the battle!!!! While it is interesting to see the big #, the power under the curve matters most....

Below is an example of what I would consider an EXCELLENT combination of peak power and SERIOS power under the curve. This is a 346 LS 1 We will be bringing this car back in next week for a fuel pump/injectors, as we ran out of fuel on the dyno making these #s.

FWIW, this particular car went to the track last week and trapped 126mph in a 3560lb race weight.

This is a heads/cam package with full bolt ons. We expect to see over 500rwhp with the added fuel upgrades coming this week. With an LS2 I would expect another 15 or 20rwhp..

Thanx for shedding the light on this situation Ed!!!! I couldnt agree more about power under the curve!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts