LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy owns a Corvette and he keeps telling me that GM ALWAYS UNDERRATES the power of the ls1 in their cars and that his car actually produces more than advertised. Is this true?

How much difference is there on paper, in crank and in the wheels?

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
desertgoat said:
My buddy owns a Corvette and he keeps telling me that GM ALWAYS UNDERRATES the power of the ls1 in their cars and that his car actually produces more than advertised. Is this true?
I doubt it. Most of the dynos I've seen (including my own) of stock GTOs are between 285 and 300 hp at the wheels.

How much difference is there on paper, in crank and in the wheels?
Rule of thumb I've heard is this: 15-16% drivetrain loss on manuals, 20% on automatics. This pretty much matches the dynos I've seen.

Padre

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
From the dyno runs I've seen others do, I would say we are NOT underrated. The net HP and torque numbers seem consistant with what was advertised. Does anyone disagree?

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
When the first LS1 fbodys came out I saw dyno's showing GM had underrated
their power. I think they were rated at 305HP, but dynos were showing higher.
Even higher that some vettes at the time. First ls1 Z28 and Trans Am were
1998. It was said they underrated them so as not to step on the toes of the
flagship power car Corvette. Not sure of the truth in all this, but it was a big topic back in 1998 and 1999.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
The LS1 has always been a 350hp at the flywheel motor. Whether in the 345hp Vette or 305hp fbody the same power levels are seen. 01-02 fbodies seemed to get some more ponies and SLP part cars dynod over 300 easy.
LS6 dynos around 340-350rwhp and the LS2 will probably be the same BUT we can hope that the LS2 is underrated and the true hp is over 400hp.

·
Moving Forward
2,163 Posts
I think people are mixing more of what happened when the Camaros, Firebirds and Trans Ams came out towards the end of 2001. My Camaro guru friend was telling me that they ran out of engine blocks and started putting some ls6's. Now maybe i heard him wrong and im just putting things together wrong. Does that mean a Camaro SS can have an Ls1 with Ls6 block. Well if that is the case i sure the 2001 Camaro SS doesn't put out the same numbers as a the stock 2001 without the Ls6. Marketing isn't going to change all the paper work. So hidden power to those that don't know. If im wrong its not because my friend is wrong i just didnt get the facts straight. I know a ton about Mustangs, mmmm Boss 429. err 604ci

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/42938/

·
Registered
774 Posts
LS6 blocks were used in quite a number of LS1s toward the end of their F-Body run. The block would account for no horsepower increase, however. You'd have had to tap into the heads, cam and intake for that and those were always left stock LS1.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
It's all marketing and as Adam posted above, the LS1 is a 350hp motor, period.

in 1998 a Z28 was "rated" at 305hp. In reality on a dyno, mine did 288 - 293 rwhp stock which puts it "actually" making 350hp from the get go.

My GTO did just under 300 stock, which puts it right in the same ballpark.

F-Body's also suffer less driveline loss from their old school solid 7 & 5/8ths rear which is why later '01 and '02's with virtually the same motor as our '04 were dynoing over 300rwhp from the get go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts