LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer was pushing this paint coating called "the protector" which actually *looked* pretty good. They had the demo car with comparison at the dealership, etc. Is this stuff actually worth it or should I just go with standard waxing?

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Protect your wallet.

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
Sorry, but the dealer sales group rarely has your best interests in mind. Skip the paint protection, leather protection, et. al., and take care of your car (wash and wax or Zaino regularly).

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
The Zaino kit is @ $100's and will keep your car looking better than any dealer package. Many people have had excelent results with Nano wax as well. The Dealers 'Protection' package is a overpriced detail. You can find a good detail shop that will do your car for $100 or so in any town in America.

If you don't like washing and waxing, take it to a detail shop in the spring and have it washed profesionaly in the fall. If you are a sick fool like me and enjoy washing your own car then I highly recomend the Zaino system. Google it and you will find it. Nano wax comes highly recomemded by a few as well.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Has anyone actually gotten this before, though, or seen an "official" review?

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
I agree with the rest of the guys. A dealership tried to sell this system with my wife's Millenia S and it was an over glorified detail. I had my detailer use the new dupont teflon wax to seal the paint then go with Meguires Gold Class on top of that. If looks could kill then you would be d-e-a-d!

Doc

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
The only thing they are protecting is their asset.

When they are offering VIN etching, the only thing they are etching is the word "sucker" on your forehead.

When they are adding add ons, the only thing they are adding is mark ups.

Listen, the car is a wonderful muscle car straight from the factory in Elizabeth, AU. Holden did a great job. The only thing Pontiac had to do was put it on a boat and deliver it to you. Heck, they even managed to screw that one up early in 2004! Anything that a dealer does is make it tackier, more expensive, and less desirable.

Thanks Pontiac. Now do us a favor and will you please leave Holden alone?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had an invisible bra put on mine to protect the front from all the highway driving I do. My Black Contour SVT's front end looked gray when I traded it. The bra is pretty nice, can barely see the edges. Paid $500.

http://www.clearbra.com/

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
WS6.FYRCHKN said:
Has anyone actually gotten this before, though, or seen an "official" review?
A lot of people fall for that, some are on this board. The dealer usualy includes a "5 year paint warenty" Well big deal. If there are paint issues in 5 years, the dealer should cover it anyway. It is an overpriced Detail and nothing more. My dealer told me all I would have to do is rinse off the car for 5 years, never have to wash it. Come on.. Next year they will tell me the car washes itself each night when I close the garage door.

I like the idea of the invisable bra, it does offer real protection to the paint on the front end.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
If you guys only knew the profit margin on the stuff like this. It's a waste of money on your behalf. These cars are so well protected from the factory including the double sided galvanized steel itself, to all the dippings and coatings added make most paint jobs look showroom new for 10 -15 years down the road. There is no need for a dealer profit adder like this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts