LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Blue Thunder
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace the back deck subs because they more or less suck, lol...I was looking at JL Audio's site and they show a 6" sub (6W0).

Do you think that would mount in the factory spot and be powered by the factory sub amp? Here is the link to the site for the specs: 6W0

Thanks for your oppinions,

Brian

293 Posts
IBMgoat said:
I want to replace the back deck subs because they more or less suck, lol...I was looking at JL Audio's site and they show a 6" sub (6W0).

Do you think that would mount in the factory spot and be powered by the factory sub amp? Here is the link to the site for the specs: 6W0

Thanks for your oppinions,

Brian
everybody knows that JL makes excellent subs, so with that in mind, yes it probably is a good idea and will sound better than stock.

however, the w0 is JL's lowest line, and is still fairly expensive so you could probably find better subs for less money. also 6" is not large enough to truly play low bass frequencies so it is a "woofer" but not an actual "subwoofer." to clarify, that means it really won't play much lower than the 6" speakers in the front doors since it is roughly the same size. it probably does have a bigger magnet/voice coil which will help, but you really need at least 8 or 10 inches to play low enough to be a "subwoofer"

i think with only minimal cutting you could fit the 8w0 or some other 8 inch sub. you might as well do this because the 6" is probably smaller than the stock sub and would require you to make a custom mounting ring anyway (not hard to do, but if you're gonna do custom work, might as well go one size up rather than one size down).

when you take out the old subs, take a look at the chamber under the rear deck where the old subs were mounted. does it seem to be sealed? approximately how big is the volume in cubic feet? these could make a huge difference in how your new subs will sound (unless of course they are specifically designed to run "free air" which many 8" subs are). also consider running a 7" "midbass" speaker which many high-end audio makers use in their 3-way setups (tweeter, 4" midrange, and 7" midbass) designed for the front stage. it's still not a true subwoofer, but it is a bit bigger than the 6".

also, the stock amplifier surely does not have enough power to drive a real sub. it will work, but you may be disappointed when you hook up your new subs and they sound only marginally better than stock. go the extra mile and buy a new amp. if you're on a budget, consider running something like this
http://www.cardomain.com/item/JBLP1802
and run it in bridged mode. at that price it's a steal. it has speaker level inputs so you don't need a line output converter. all you need to do is hook up the power and find a place to mount it.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
The rear area under the subs is not sealed. The woofer will be in a more or less "free air" environment, so should have a Qts in the .6 range, depending on taste. There is not a ton of clearance behind the woofer for huge magnets, nor do you generally want huge magnets in that type of loading. The suitability of the factory amp for woofers is entirely a factor of the efficiency (sensitivity) of the woofer used and the desired SPL, so a blanket dismissal of it reflects more of a "shooting from the hip" philosophy, rather than a thorough understanding of the factors involved. In JL's line, I would investigate the possibility of fitting the 8 incher, as the Fs is 10 Hz lower.

·
Goatless
565 Posts
6" Subs

I've been to Classic Stereo in GR, and the want to put the JL
Audio subs in the place of the stock subs w/a custom box.
The quoted me 800 bucks to install my 4 channel amp, my sub amp, and installation of the 2 JL Audio 6" subs with the custom enclosure. They know their stuff there, and they claim that the 2 6" subs will put out the same as 1 10 inch one.

·
Blue Thunder
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bluGTO said:
I've been to Classic Stereo in GR, and the want to put the JL
Audio subs in the place of the stock subs w/a custom box.
The quoted me 800 bucks to install my 4 channel amp, my sub amp, and installation of the 2 JL Audio 6" subs with the custom enclosure. They know their stuff there, and they claim that the 2 6" subs will put out the same as 1 10 inch one.
That sounds pretty interesting. Could you possbly PM me there address and phone number? I think ill give them a call and see what they can do.

Thanks everyone for the info!!

-Brian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts