LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Got V8
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw this crack in the front rotor, is this something I should have looked at or is it no big deal.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Is that a crack or a dent? If it is simply a dent then it is no big deal. If it is a crack the I would have my dealer look at it, cracks only grow until something fails. If you can not tell which it is, take it in and have it looked at.

·
Got V8
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a crack for sure almost a 1/4" long. I had a feeling it wasn't a good thing,lol.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
It looked 1/4 inch or so. But it looks like a dent to me. Cracks have legnth and depth. They tend not to be straight. I can't really tell from a picture so I would recomend that you take it to your dealer and have them look at it. Or if you have a mechanic that you trust and have worked with before, take it to them. Tell them that if it is a problem that you will take it to the dealer for warenty work but you want an unbiased oppinion.

Small cracks eventualy become large cracks as water gets in them and causes rust to grow and extend the crack. Or the water will freeze in cold climates and expand, extending the crack.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

·
Got V8
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to go back to the dealer with it monday if I have time, but ya its a crack but the picture looks weird cause the brake dust is on the trailing edge of the crack making it look like a dent.
My Dad is a mechanic but he's in Las Vegas right now for bike week, so kinda screwed till monday.

Its gotta be some flaw from the factory cause I have never seen this before and I wouldn't even know what would cause such a thing.

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
crack isn't good (no pun intended) i've never seen a factory rotor crack only drilled rotors. Its not something you need to get towed in for. Very odd, it way to sharp to be a hard spot. Are you able to stick something in the crack like a pieace of wire?

·
Got V8
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My finger nail catches it pretty good, but its not wide enough for anything to be put in there.

Its really weird though thats for sure, I use them pretty hard when going to Prescott about a Hour away from Phoenix and I take the back way there and its all twisty canyon roads (hella fun by the way) so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. But if it does I'm going to have a big problem with this car.

·
Got V8
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gravana Jim said:
Call your dealer immediately.

Jim
I did they said to call back monday. Service closed about 1/2 hour before I called....go figure,lol.

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
I've seen small cracks turn into exploding rotors at the race track. Nothing to mess with. Warranty time!

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've cracked many a rotor :) Happens when they get too hot, too fast... Take it back to the dealer, they should warranty it hopefully... Otherwise rotors aren't too expensive..

·
Moving Forward
2,163 Posts
Brains said:
I've cracked many a rotor :) Happens when they get too hot, too fast... Take it back to the dealer, they should warranty it hopefully... Otherwise rotors aren't too expensive..
Oh and don't mention anything about going to the track. If they ask about your driving and where you go just say to and from work.

·
Stangar
344 Posts
Ban him or savor the agony later.

·
Got V8
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I took it to the dealer today and they said it is a machining marks and it is normal,lol.

Kinda figured they would pull that crap, but I did ask them why there is only one rotor that has a crack in it and the others do not, wouldn't you(dealer) think that maybe more that one rotor would have this if it was "normal", they said I could get a second opinion if I liked.

But when I left I told him...you would rather not fix this and take a chance at the rotor maybe or maybe not coming apart and hurting maybe killing someone and your OK with that??
He did not answer that. :rolleyes:

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
Does it go in the same direction as the rotor vanes? I'd get that reply from the dealer in writing and then when it fails while on the highway and you crash the car, sue the dealership for failing to fix the problem and denying it was a problem all together. (A crack in the rotor clearly is a very serious problem.)

·
Registered
980 Posts
Try putting baby powder on it and spray a (VERY) little wd40 from the inside on it and see if any seeps through.

Just be sure to clean up the oil afterwards.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts