LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Win just one for the Zipper
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The vehicle MUST be stored in heated garage and/or engine must have engine block heater at or below 25 degrees F or immediate supercharger failure can occur.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Well, that does sound a bit extreme.
But the STS turbo has the have oil pumped to it from the motor all the way back to the turbo. And then the oil must be pumped back to the motor. I bet there may be an issue with cold oil flow, where the oil in the return and feed lines is so cold that the turbo does not get proper lubrication. Don't know for sure.

·
King Nub
180 Posts
I would think it would be fine to let it get that cold as long as you don't plan running it though. I plan on getting this kit . My car will be parked for all of winter but it will be below 25 degrees at times. So I would think this would be okay.

·
Registered
452 Posts
k1200lt said:
The vehicle MUST be stored in heated garage and/or engine must have engine block heater at or below 25 degrees F or immediate supercharger failure can occur.
That is total BS, Just STS trying to sell more stuff and make superchargers (in general) look bad. Lame marketing aimed at people with no clue. I fully expect to see a Saturday morning infomercial from STS soon.

First off, it only applies to air/water intercooled systems (which could also be done on a turbo). Secondly, that would only be a problem if you just had pure water in it. Running anti-freeze in the winter would eliminate any freeze related issues.

Sites like that kind of piss me off. STS is a decent product, but their info is deceptive (at best). I can guarantee you that a maggie will outlast an STS system.

They fail to mention how often their turbos go bad when that little scavenging pump dies, and that you need a warning light in the car since it is known to happen quite often. What about the cheap mild steel pipes they use...

·
Registered
319 Posts
Bottom line is they are trying to sell Turbos, while they have some good points they also neglect to point out any Turbo headaches. Each system has their benifits and drawbacks.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Well, then the same could be said about a turbo. Both need oil from the motor.
The only supercharger drawback that they post, aside from sound, is belt problems.
But then turbos have their own set of issues.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Anyone else notice they post a graph with what looks like torque plotted and label it hp.

·
OG 05 Owner and FPFQAF
2,610 Posts
i agree with many of your responses, if you aren't driving it during the winter it should be ok.... the turbo doesn't need lubrication when its not being spooled, so it should need it if its parked all winter.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Fenderplayer said:
i agree with many of your responses, if you aren't driving it during the winter it should be ok.... the turbo doesn't need lubrication when its not being spooled, so it should need it if its parked all winter.
Dude, the statements have nothing to do with turbos (please read).

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
shizon said:
Anyone else notice they post a graph with what looks like torque plotted and label it hp.
Graph? I've got nothing against STS, but try getting a rear mount turbo to do this:

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
mistermike said:
Graph? I've got nothing against STS, but try getting a rear mount turbo to do this:
Quit posting stuff I cant possibly afford :gr_jest:

Those are some incredible numbers

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Hmm, I've driven my Z28 with it's ATI ProCharger D-1SC in zero degree weather, after it was sitting outside all night. I wonder how the STS oil return pump would work in those temperatures. Bob

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Exotic Performance Plus said:
Hmm, I've driven my Z28 with it's ATI ProCharger D-1SC in zero degree weather, after it was sitting outside all night. I wonder how the STS oil return pump would work in those temperatures. Bob
+1
Frankly, I've not heard of anyone with cold weather problems with a blower or turbo. Hell, Saab ushered in the modern turbo era, and there's no better cold weather car. Now, if you're foolish enough to beat on a car right after starting her, you're going to screw up a lot more than your compressor. I always idle 1-2 min before driving and, lacking an oil temp gauge, make sure engine is at normal ECT for at least 10 min before thrashing her.

·
No more shifting :(
702 Posts
mistermike said:
Now, if you're foolish enough to beat on a car right after starting her, you're going to screw up a lot more than your compressor. I always idle 1-2 min before driving and, lacking an oil temp gauge, make sure engine is at normal ECT for at least 10 min before thrashing her.
I agree 100%. I drove my car with the STS kit in the middle of winter and only ran into the problem of a loud oil pump at startup.

BTW, your an ass for posting that graph ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you go to vortechs website you can find where sts took that from, vortechs own tech info(apparently vortech is helping sell sts turbos lol). Not sure if the same would apply to the procharger, you would have to ask them.

·
It was a...
2,322 Posts
Given enough time, money and inclination an untrained home mechanic can wreck anything.:shiner:

The amazing thing is when you can get big performance out of an unlabeled cam and some leftover cold spaghetti. Now THAT'S talent...and tasty!:yumyum:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts