LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm about to receive a lot of crap for this and honestly I don't blame you but I'm stubborn and my ocd is kicking in.
I trail ride with my dirt bike pretty occasionally with my dad, however he has a lot of hobbies and is often out of town for them. He drives the truck so if he's gone I don't have a way to get my bike to the trail. I would like to fix that, however I'm a college student and don't have expendable funds to spend on getting a truck/suv/trailer.
We already own a dual dirt bike carrier which weighs 70lb.
My dirt bike weighs 257lb dry.
327 lb tongue weight.
This is the exact carrier we own.
Obviously I would only load my bike and closest to the car as possible.It is designed for a 2 inch receiver so you would probably need an adapter since most tow bars are 1 1/4 for cars which would probably end up extending the weight slightly further back.
I have 19 inch rims with stock springs so the extra sag is a bit of a concern however, I do have drag bags and may be able to compensate for the extra weight. The drive is mostly very smooth also.
I also have a 2009 Malibu but that doesn't look much more feasible and I get better luck with search results seeing what people tow with cars similar to the Gto vs what people tow with the Malibu.
The tow bars available seem to have a high enough tongue rating its more of a question whether the frame/suspension of the Gto can handle it along with how low the carrier will end up sitting.
Before anyone says something, no I can't trade my Malibu, only vehicles similar in value that are suitable have a very high risk of being unreliable and the purpose of it in the first place is too have a reliable backup when working on the Gto or road trips. It would be too much of a financial risk. Also I know our service manual says towing not recommended but the holden monaro towing specification is rated at 1500lb so I find the U.S manual to be quite BS as the car was orignally designed in Australia.

These are basically my only options available at the moment and believe me I know that both of them are very impractical.

·
Worthless reject member
36,213 Posts
The car came from the factory with a tow brace. I don't see why people have a hissy fit when other people use a daily driven GTO for towing.

The only problem i would forsee is it changing the cars center of gravity. Not sure how the trunk sheetmetal would like that, either.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
personally i thin, by looking at how things are made under the car, that the tongue weight would tear the car up. HOWEVER, for $300 you can get this little trailer https://www.harborfreight.com/1090-lbs-capacity-40-12-in-x-48-in-utility-trailer-62645.htmland tow it safely and easily. I had a 2007 civic si That I towed the bigger trailer with a wheeler on it. yes my friends clowned me, but I was the one really laughing because it got 30mpg pulling and it outran my buddies truck on the interstate with both of us pulling trailers. lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts