LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a M6 and I can never get into Reverse. I come to a complete stop, wait 2 seconds, and then attempt to get into Reverse, but there is just no way to. I mean MAYBE I could force it, but thats not the thing to do. It just feels like Something is not ligning up. Its like I don't know where Reverse is, YET I can hit it no problem. If I go to a different gear and then go back for Reverse, then it often goes into Reverse. Its just really frustrating, because I usually try to back out of somewhere and there is just NO getting into Reverse. Is there any bulletins on this or anything? I know there are a few out there. I recieved my car in Early February, so it was definately an early build.
Any ideas? :cool:

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
its not totally unheard of to have to go a foward gear, then reverse. haven't had this problem with my GTO. but i have seen other people do it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Until you mentioned it I didn't realize as a matter of habit I slip it into 1st before going to reverse. As GTOdriver7 said this is not uncommon for manual trannys. On my 5-Speed Achieva sometimes I even had to let the clutch out a little in 1st before it would slip into R.

Shawn

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
Well, I would suggest taking it to the dealership and explaining the problem. There are a couple of TSB's that affect the manual transmission cars - especially on the early builds.
FWIW - I have never had an issue getting my M6 into reverse - with or without going into gear before hand - and mine is a 10/03 production car.
Dan

·
Been here for a long time...
4,658 Posts
Out of habit, I always go into either 1st or 3rd. Been that way with all my manual tranny's. The T56 in the WS6 was the same. Whether it actually needed to do it, it would always just slide right in afterwards. Rather than being extremely notchy if I didn't.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I have trouble a lot. Just this morning I couldn't get into reverse and I wanted to know if the syncro's aren't lining up or its the notches (?) . So while trying to push it into reverse I let the clutch out slowly. I was expecting to hear some gears grind but nothing.

So can someone explain what is causing the shifter to stop if its not the synchro's?

·
Damn, this car is fun!!
61 Posts
I have had these symptoms with reverse too. There is a post on here that says if you have a GTO built before 02/04 and a VIN # before this particular one your flywheel bolts may not have been torqued correctly and the flywheel may have loosened and moved slightly out of alignment. Look for the title called "New GM bulliten on M6" in the drivetrain section.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
cosmosmatt said:
I have had these symptoms with reverse too. There is a post on here that says if you have a GTO built before 02/04 and a VIN # before this particular one your flywheel bolts may not have been torqued correctly and the flywheel may have loosened and moved slightly out of alignment. Look for the title called "New GM bulliten on M6" in the drivetrain section.
I have followed that thread and do not have the other symptoms. In my case reverse seems to be a different problem (at least I think its a problem).

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have the same issue, but like posted earlier going into first and then reverse makes it work. I did already have my clutch replaced due to the incorrectly torqued bolts. Before the clutch was replaced I couldn't get the car into any gear.

·
Deuce and a Half
1,880 Posts
I had my entire transmission replaced, serviced the slave cylinder, all new fluids etc etc just like the bulletin says. I had problems getting into 2nd and third plus reverse. I could never even get reverse in ever without going to another gear. Now with the new tranny I can get it into reverse sometimes but much easier if I hit another gear first. Reverse still isn't smooth like the others without getting into a drive gear first.

·
3,327 Posts
Does everyone park their car in neutral? I have no problem getting into reverse, but sometimes I have to 'feel' for it. I usually just park it in whatever gear I was in before I parked. I have noticed that after my Dad drives the car and leaves it in neutral, I have more of a challenge getting it into reverse.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I generally leave the car in 1st gear. Then, when I want to go into reverse I go to neutral, back to first and then to reverse.

·
Deuce and a Half
1,880 Posts
I leave it parked in neutral since the parking brake locks up so well.

·
Feynman fan
2,336 Posts
I generally park it in reverse (dunno why) and usually grab second before trying reverse (again, dunno why second - just 'cause...) Getting into reverse without slipping it into another gear is generally weird so I started rowing a bit soon after I got the car and find it an easy habit.

This car has inspired many odd habits - like locking and unlocking with the remote from inside rather than using the knob on the door, for example.

·
Blue Thunder
821 Posts
This could all be because reverse does not have syncros. I find that if I start up the car and go to reverse it goes right in, but when I start it up in the morning when it's cold and I let it warm up, I have to go into first, then reverse. So, Im pretty sure its because of reverse having no syncros.

-Brian

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I looked at the rear of the cylinder head, and I know that the "OK" is written in the UPDATED color.(I don't remember if its yellow or White, but its the updated and propperly torqued color, because I matched it up a while ago after I crawled under the car).
If the car is NOT running, it is absolutely impossible to even get the tranny to go into the Reverse Slot. :banghead: No big deal, but its really wierd.
I have also tried to put the car in Reverse and when it fails to go into gear, then i hold pressure onto the gear shifter and slowly let the clutch out and it will NOT slide into Reverse.
It really feels like something is interfering, not in a rough way, but almost like the stupid shift boot is holding me back! :eek2: (thats not the case obviousely though)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Gee it sounds just like mine. Dealer kept telling me that it was normal. Ha! When "cold" (or been sitting a while. Doesn't exactly get cold here in Phoenix) Everything seems to be locked out. I have to fight into 4th or 5th before it will go into any of the other gates. Almost have 10k on it and it's getting better but still annoying. Hate to see what it's like this winter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have always put my cars into another gear before trying to shift into reverse.The habit started with my 71 Firebird (way back when.) So, it seems normal to me that the GTO would require the same thing. I'm just used to going into reverse that way. I also park in reverse. Dont really know why either!

·
Got V8
241 Posts
I always let the clutch pedal out just alittle as I'm putting into reverse, and she will fall in by itself.

Lots of manual trannys are like this, pretty much everyone I have ever had kinda think of it.

As for being had to go in other gears now thats different.

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
ukcuf said:
I always let the clutch pedal out just alittle as I'm putting into reverse, and she will fall in by itself.

Lots of manual trannys are like this, pretty much everyone I have ever had kinda think of it.

As for being had to go in other gears now thats different.
Every manual I've ever driven has been like this... can't speak to the GTO though, mine's A4.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts