LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, props to the young man and his lovely bride for being friendly and respectful. They were good sports and it was nice meeting them.

That being said, I was cruising around with my son when a really sharp looking Honda Civic started messin' with me. I'll admit, I didn't want to race this guy and lose. I figured he must have dumped big bucks into his car because he wasn't the least bit intimidated by the GTO tag. There's nothing more embarrassing than getting your V8 swallowed by an import on steroids.

But what's worse, losing or not trying?

We finally get 'em lined up, on a roll, 2nd gear, he punches it, I punch it, quick shift to 3rd and it's over... I was gone. He had NO chance. I shut it down without even going to 4th.

At the turn around, he leaned out his window and yelled, "Wait! Hold up!" I pulled over and he came around and said, "You GOTTA show me under the hood." We get out, talk cars, have a good time... and he tells me about all the things he's done to his car... over $5000.00 in performance mods...

but it's still a Honda Civic. :D

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
FLORIT said:
First off, props to the young man and his lovely bride for being friendly and respectful. They were good sports and it was nice meeting them.

That being said, I was cruising around with my son when a really sharp looking Honda Civic started messin' with me. I'll admit, I didn't want to race this guy and lose. I figured he must have dumped big bucks into his car because he wasn't the least bit intimidated by the GTO tag. There's nothing more embarrassing than getting your V8 swallowed by an import on steroids.

But what's worse, losing or not trying?

We finally get 'em lined up, on a roll, 2nd gear, he punches it, I punch it, quick shift to 3rd and it's over... I was gone. He had NO chance. I shut it down without even going to 4th.

At the turn around, he leaned out his window and yelled, "Wait! Hold up!" I pulled over and he came around and said, "You GOTTA show me under the hood." We get out, talk cars, have a good time... and he tells me about all the things he's done to his car... over $5000.00 in performance mods...

Nice Kill ............Goat loves to eat rice :burnout:

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
Holy crap, $5000 in mods and got wasted like that. Man, he's got to feel sick.
I would drop that Honda like a bad habit. I just can't imagine blowing 5 grand
like that.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Rock On Flor It!!!!!!

I was finally able to show my goat and was told that I needed to take a ride with the (female mentioned previously) in the front seat on a ride so she could just wave to friends.

I dont mean to raise heck, but the goat raises hell to begin with.

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
It's amazing what these kids will spend to be like the Fast and the Furious. I'll admit, some of these imports look cool, some really over do it, but the'll never get that money back when they sell it.

·
I did a bad, bad thing
1,450 Posts
FLORIT said:

He must've put every dime of that cash into the wrong places, because with $5k and some creative thinking, you can put a Civic in the low 13s, which would've made it a decent race.

B16+turbo or N2O + DRs = 13s

Did it have a bodykit? A lot of ricers consider bodykits to be performance mods :rolleyes:

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
STi said:
Did it have a bodykit? A lot of ricers consider bodykits to be performance mods :rolleyes:
hahahaha, funny you should mention that... the car LOOKED great, but he seemed especially proud of his "bottom end" work and the turbo charger. I agree that $5K could do a LOT for ANY car... when invested wisely.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
FLORIT said:
hahahaha, funny you should mention that... the car LOOKED great, but he seemed especially proud of his "bottom end" work and the turbo charger. I agree that $5K could do a LOT for ANY car... when invested wisely.
As we all know, body kits don't come cheap. That would take a great whacking bite out of the $5K. Now invest the $5K under the hood of a Goat, and I'D be scared to drive it, and I don't have the common sense to be scared often. My mother used to say about me and the cars I built and drove, that I didn't have the common sense and self-preservation instincts of a piss ant...and that at least they were metal, and they could save on the coffin... :driving:

·
I did a bad, bad thing
1,450 Posts
Old Goat said:
As we all know, body kits don't come cheap. That would take a great whacking bite out of the $5K. Now invest the $5K under the hood of a Goat, and I'D be scared to drive it, and I don't have the common sense to be scared often. My mother used to say about me and the cars I built and drove, that I didn't have the common sense and self-preservation instincts of a piss ant...and that at least they were metal, and they could save on the coffin... :driving:
$5k under the hood of a GTO...hmm....I'd be thinking a blower, low comp pistons, headwork, beefed up fuel system, beefed up clutch, gears, suspension work and slicks.

Might be closer to $6 or 7k, but you'd be sitting pretty as far as performance goes. :)

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
STi said:
$5k under the hood of a GTO...hmm....I'd be thinking a blower, low comp pistons, headwork, beefed up fuel system, beefed up clutch, gears, suspension work and slicks.

Might be closer to $6 or 7k, but you'd be sitting pretty as far as performance goes. :)
Boy I sure wish we could do all that for only $6k or $7k. The only blower out there right now is just a few dollars shy of $6k on its own.

·
I did a bad, bad thing
1,450 Posts
phobos512 said:
Boy I sure wish we could do all that for only $6k or $7k. The only blower out there right now is just a few dollars shy of $6k on its own.
Are you serious????

Holy crap, that's A LOT for just a supercharger. I could've put one on my old 5.slow for under $3k...but I guess that motor was around forever and had the chance to build up an aftermarket, but I would've thought the same for a LS1...even though you have to deal with higher compression stock, but damn....6k for just a blower??? That's ludicrous.

My upgraded turbo, that comes with an upgraded fuel system (fuel pump, injectors, etc) is under $4k.

Can't parts for a LS1 Z28 or Corvette work on your cars? It might take a *little* bit of custom fabrication, but shouldn't be too difficult I would think.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts