LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got all of my parts ordered and installed so my 30-06 project is assembled. Haven't had a chance for range time just yet, but I'm expecting some pretty big things if I can find a handload that performs like I want. Did manage to get out and get a few pics taken though. Parts list includes:

Savage 111 Trophy Hunter XP that I purchased when Gander MTN was closing down

XLR Carbon Chassis

26" McGowen 1:10 twist magnum contour barrel

110 BA bolt handle

TPS Rings

Vortex Viper HS-LR 6-24

It's a little heavy, but only about about 1/2 pound heavier than my .308, so not terrible should I have to walk around with the rifle very much.

Attachments

·
Dick Ross
7,241 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I've been feeling like I need to add something like that to my list for quite a while. Currently, I don't have many options for very long (450-500 yards maybe) so I haven't added much in the way of ELR helpful devices just yet (did get a Kilo 2400 in January, which should help with LR and archery). Right now, just doing break-in on the new one. Had a few shots within a 1" group at 100 yards using 150 grain Winchester Powermax that I had sitting around. I really pieced together the rifle with the intention of shooting some heavier stuff (190+) at some pretty good velocities. I have read about people hitting 2900 with 190 SMKs using RL22, which seems pretty stellar to me, but really, I'd be happy if I can get some 200 grain ELD-X bullets out there in the 2800 zone.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A little bit of an update now that I've put some rounds down the tube and have done a little bit of reloading for the thing.

First handloads that I shot (and the only ones that I really have comparative data for) were 180 grain Sierra Gameking bullets over 57 and 57.5 grains of H4350. With the 22" barrel, my data says that they both clocked out at 2880, which I recall thinking was a little strange. ES on the 57grains was 27fps and 8 with the 57.5, although they were massive 2 round groups. With the 26" barrel, I clocked 2886 with the 57 grain loading, which I almost chalk up to anomaly or changing lighting outside because the 57.5 grain loading showed an average of 2975, which is closer to the shift that I would expect. The 57 grain loads did group nicely, although I didn't measure officially, but they were all within a 1" box, so I'd say quite a bit of potential there.

Next load workup that I did recently, and for fun, was to see what some 125 grain NBT would do. I figured that if something worked well in this load, then I could atleast put a hurting on some coyotes in Illinois. All loads are with Varget.

55.5 3254fps; ES 54
56 3359fps; ES 60
56.5 3374 fps; ES 62

Had some more rounds to test, but it started to rain and I need a magnetospeed (I'm sticking to rain being a justification). Nothing really stood out in terms of grouping, but they all shot probably within 1.5" 3-shot groups.

Finally, loaded up and shot a couple of heavies since that's why I went with the 26" barrel in the first place. Loaded up a couple of 225 Hornady BTHP rounds over RL22 and ended up with average speed of 2485 and with plenty of space to go up, I hope. I'm guessing that I should be able to get 2650 fps out of those, which seems like pretty fair performance for a non-magnum round. Gotta get things together and then really get into shooting some of the 208 ELD-M and 200 ELD-X bullets that I have on the bench. Should make for some hammers I think.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts