LS1GTO Forums banner
41 - 60 of 106 Posts

·
Worthless reject member
53,868 Posts
there's a couple timing tables you might want to zero out or adjust, gotta find them. i think the ect based table is one. You'll know why when you see it.

set your PE enrich table to whatever you actually want the EQ to be before you tune the MAF in the WOT range.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
As of now all I've done with spark is move the iat table over a couple rows, though my iats are usually pretty low when driving thanks to the xair, I'll look through other tables when I really get into it.

As for the PE table I figured I'd shoot for 12.8? So when the stock table gets to that point at 3750 I just set the values from there on up to 1.145, if we're talking about the same table. Not sure if I should make em all the same, I guess I was thinking I'd leave it as stock as possible apart from where they have it too rich up top.

At this point I can safely drive it, and I've got the gauge in case it goes super lean or something but I've got some more reading to do before I proceed. Like redhardsupra blog posts if I could get my little brain to comprende

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
mmmn redhardsupra. required reading of classic literature.

is his blog even still up?
I hadn't considered it 404'ing, time to start copy pasta'ing things I run across. I only found it from this pirate roberts guy who used to be prolific on here.

·
Administrator
21,047 Posts
Just read everything.

Redharsurpa, Greg Banish books, hptuners forums (or whatever tuning tool you are using)

I learned by reading everything and experimenting with my own car. If I found a table or behavior I didn't understand, I searched and asked quesitons until I did.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Out of curiosity, if someone were to start looking into tuning and such, what would be the best resources on YouTube or the internet to read and learn from?
I would say watch a bunch of YouTube stuff from the hptuners channel, chopperdoc, goat rope garage, etc, then after you gain a basic understanding start searching for specific items that still aren't making sense using the "site:ls1gto.com" (or whatever website) search function.

Then just totally stick your neck out there and make yourself look stupid asking really basic questions like I did. Foolproof plan.

Or ya know, do it right and follow steel chicken's suggestion ..

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Meh I don't like goatrope. He says some dumb shit. Look upper his injector sizing and he just multiplies the table till he gets a close value. Whether or not he actually does that to a customer idk but put me off

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Meh I don't like goatrope. He says some dumb shit. Look upper his injector sizing and he just multiplies the table till he gets a close value. Whether or not he actually does that to a customer idk but put me off
He seems decent for the basics.

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
169 Posts
I would say watch a bunch of YouTube stuff from the hptuners channel, chopperdoc, goat rope garage, etc, then after you gain a basic understanding start searching for specific items that still aren't making sense using the "site:ls1gto.com" (or whatever website) search function.

Then just totally stick your neck out there and make yourself look stupid asking really basic questions like I did. Foolproof plan.

Or ya know, do it right and follow steel chicken's suggestion ..
Thanks man. I appreciate that.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Ok I'm currently working on the PE areas of the ve table, it occurred to me that I probably don't need to turn off closed loop or ltft or anything like that because that's not even active when in PE anyway. Am I correct there or do you still turn off all the same stuff when tuning for wot? It's running kinda lean according to the wb when cruising so I'm guessing that because the weather has warmed up a little, that my ve table needs a little more work in the part throttle areas. I would have thought that since the air is more dense when it's colder that it would be running rich now that it's warmed up a little, but for all I know it could just be that I wasn't as close on the part throttle fueling as I thought I was to begin with.

Also I think I'm getting solid data by using the lambda<1 filter, it only populates cells in the bottom right corner which seems to jive with videos I've seen of wot pulls.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Ok I'm currently working on the PE areas of the ve table, it occurred to me that I probably don't need to turn off closed loop or ltft or anything like that because that's not even active when in PE anyway. Am I correct there or do you still turn off all the same stuff when tuning for wot? It's running kinda lean according to the wb when cruising so I'm guessing that because the weather has warmed up a little, that my ve table needs a little more work in the part throttle areas. I would have thought that since the air is more dense when it's colder that it would be running rich now that it's warmed up a little, but for all I know it could just be that I wasn't as close on the part throttle fueling as I thought I was to begin with.

Also I think I'm getting solid data by using the lambda<1 filter, it only populates cells in the bottom right corner which seems to jive with videos I've seen of wot pulls.
Yeah pretty much. If you turn off ltft then you can leave closed loop on. Although stock goes to PE after xx throttle IIRC (not on my laptop). Cars don't use the pe delay.

Although that doesn't matter either because once the ve or maf are correctly dialed for airflow then the ecu should know how much fuel to use to obtain xx afr.

Do wonder how my car would drive with a maf added but I'm not going to bother. I don't have any issues.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Cool just wanted to confirm that I was thinking about this correctly. Lemme ask you this, if I turn closed loop back on, then can the same log be used for both part throttle and wot? It seems to me that the stft histogram won't have any cells in the wot area, and thanks to the lambda filter on the wot histogram it won't have any cells in the part throttle areas. After typing this out I'm expecting someone to ask why I wasn't doing this the whole time.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Cool just wanted to confirm that I was thinking about this correctly. Lemme ask you this, if I turn closed loop back on, then can the same log be used for both part throttle and wot? It seems to me that the stft histogram won't have any cells in the wot area, and thanks to the lambda filter on the wot histogram it won't have any cells in the part throttle areas. After typing this out I'm expecting someone to ask why I wasn't doing this the whole time.
Yes. But if you smash the pedal randomly and since it still takes time for commanded/actual it could skew a little. But really you should be fine.

That's how I was doing mine towards the end. Even after adding the boost.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Sweet. It makes sense but I still have moments of self doubt here and there.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
So this is fantastic. Apparently I haven't been logging knock retard this whole time. I set up a histogram for it and I always check it, looking back I should have known that no data at all isn't the same as all 0's. lol So ok I started logging it and during the first drive I get a small area with some 3's and 4's while normal part throttle cruising. So rather than watching the laptop instead of the road I just take it easy so I can check the whole log later and see if anything pops out at me. It never did it again.

So I'm looking it over later and the wb wasn't logging. That's happened before so I try to quickly check that everything is logging before I go, but I guess this time I didn't notice that it wasn't logging. I just wanted to see if the kr was during a lean spike or something. The stft's did add about 5% right when it happened but when I looked at other logs to see how the stft corresponded with the wb, it didn't seem like 5% was a huge response to anything so who knows.

What causes it to not log certain channels sometimes? Am I logging too many channels? I have no idea why I'm logging 3 or 4 different throttle position channels, so I did away with those. I've read of people saying to keep channels to a minimum, even not logging MAF when it's turned off as an example. Anyway on the ride back I made sure the wb was logging and it didn't register any kr that time at all so Idk why it did it that first drive. I'm still running stock spark tables, the only thing I've done with it at this point is move the IAT tables over a couple columns. Possibly false knock? Well at least I can keep an eye on it now.

·
Worthless reject member
53,868 Posts
KR is a little complicated. could have been burst knock. could have been a fart that jiggled the knock sensors the wrong way.

i think it depends on what KR pid you are logging, too. IIRC they are not all the same.

41 - 60 of 106 Posts