LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
wat it fis mofo
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a microscopic puncture on a steel power steering line?

should I even try it or just go trough the trouble of replacing the piece?

any opinions welcome

·
Still a communist state
12,543 Posts
replace the line

·
Registered
307 Posts
Is it the pressure or return line? If its the return line you can probably get away with the JB Weld because the pressure is alot lower. If it is the pressure line then you need to replace it.

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
:mullet:

Fix it right. Don't hack things unless it's just to get through the weekend. P/S fluid is no joke. That "repair" fails, you can burn your car up. So be careful, and do it right. Hell, even cutting the line and putting on a compression union will work. But JB Weld will fall off.

·
Registered
325 Posts
jb weld will not fall off if the surface has been prepared right. i have been useing jb weld for as long as it has been out, and in some instances in high pressure applications. i am not saying that it is a good idea to fix a big hole, but if it is a real fine hole it will work just fine. all you have to do is layer it. as you layer it is grow's in strength. take a challenge and get some, put it in a piece of line and when it is dry try to bend or break it in that spot. it can be done, as the line get's very durable in that spot. and i have said i have used it on radariators that have had the fan ran half way thru thru the cores. i have used it on my tractor hydralic lines to raise the 3 point, and all worked just fine. all i am saying is that if you have not used jb weld in some weird and odd applications do not say it will not work. that stuff is strong and i mean very strong when it is put on right. and i would not hesitate any about doing the line with jb weld, then get a new one and save the old one for backup.

·
I deserve to be BLOWN!!!
1,481 Posts
Isay JB Weld it Too!
Then drive straight to Wal Mart and get: Chicken Wire, Duct Tape, Super Glue, Zip Ties and WD-40 for "Long Term" Protection down the road. :thumbs:

·
Registered
105 Posts
if its pressure line dont count on it holding long, or it may hold long enough so when you are cruising around looking cool it will let go , there is a ton of pressure in there.

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
I don;t care what you do. It's a 200 psi line with trans fluid running through it. Which makes the surface very slick to anything that is supposed to stick. It will leak. Maybe not right away, but it will.

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
I use silver solder on steel lines all the time. Short answer NO JB the SS I use is not the pure stick that home AC guys use but is a coil of some other content. It takes much less heat one of those bottle torches and some flux will do it no worries. Any welding supply will have it. Just plain handy to have around.

PS,AC,Fuel, Trans Cooler line that gets a small rub hole in it. If I frak up one like spark from battery through wrench (don’t LOL you know you have done it to). I have made AC lines for yrs with Silver Solder oh on copper to. To replace a hose we cut hose out then solder steel barbs in then slide hose on with new collar and crimp. I have used same method on PS pressure hose in a pinch. Never had one fail oh also good to fab up oil cooler lines. Yrs ago hydraulic lines were soldered @ factory. Oh not for but weld but pipe inside pipe like a plumber.

·
Objects in mirror dont matter
3,777 Posts
JB Weld is gods gift to handyman, but on a pressure line by the headers I wouldn't chance it.

Things I have JB welded: Ported throttle body filling around the IAC ports, Jon boat rivets with leaks, outboard engine lower unit skeg repair, rod cap for a Briggs and Stratton I was to lazy to go order a new one for and still running great 5 years later, screen door hinges,....

·
wat it fis mofo
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is a return line, but it seems like majority consensus is too replace.

·
Registered
325 Posts
yes it is alway's better to replace it... but if you clean the line up right jb weld will hold on a pressure line, and even by the headers. my tractor i used it on is no longer working and hasn't for many years. and the line is still on it and to this day it is still not leaking. (close to ten years ) what we have on here is alot of people who have never used it for what you asked, there is alway's someone out here who has done something someone else hasn't. and i have used it for high pressure hydralic lines, radiators,blocks,oil pans=(alluminum and iron ), chairs,oh yea and the plastic piece on top of the light bessil just inside of the front end of the goat broke and the light was stairing up at the sky, now works like new... and i could keep on going. jb weld is good stuff.....

·
I deserve to be BLOWN!!!
1,481 Posts
Yeah, JB Weld is great stuff. And sure you can probably get away with it, But Why? It's so Damn cheap to fix it right why even bother with it?
I mean, if it was an intereior piece or anything of that sort, sure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.