LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Silver Back!
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the JBA headers installed on their GTO? I would like to know the HP gains you have seen. OH, how do they sound?

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
I'm curious as well. I'm sure somebody has picked them up but no one seems to admit to it on this board. I'm sure the gain is small, something like 10-15rwhp. For the most part not to many bother with shorties due to cost and gain. I still would like to see the numbers.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm interested as well as you guys..

·
Loyd @ SNL Performance
482 Posts
The gain is probably more like 5 to 10... the dyno sheet for there product shows the power after and if you look at the sheet thay also added a set of wires... so wires plus headers = whatever so subtract the HP gain from the wires.. and you will have your actual. They do look sweet though, that is the set I am looking at :)

·
Silver Back!
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got an email from the guys at Tbyrne who advised you will get a 10-12 HP gain with this install. I like them because they do not void the warranty. I am alittle worried about voiding the warranty because of some of the eary problems people are having with their cars. I like the fact they are a bolt on item and it does not look like it will take much to install them. We all know how much a pain long Headers are to intall.

I will be buying them so I will let everyone know how the install and performance goes. I will have pics as well.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Voiding warranties isn't black/white and comes down to the dealer. LTs move the cats, O2 sensors, etc and in fbodies remove emission fittings. The other issue is how close LTs come to the steering linkage. I guess that may be a basis to void a warranty but i don't know.

·
...and former GTO owner.
841 Posts
Also moving the cats from its stock location is illegal in some states. So I doubt any dealer would honor the warrantee with long tubes.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
[QUOTE='91 Formula]Also moving the cats from its stock location is illegal in some states. So I doubt any dealer would honor the warrantee with long tubes.[/QUOTE]

so then this was just speculation that shorties are less likely to void a warranty than LT's?

i really dont see the much of a difference. either your SM is gonna be fair and reasnable, or they wont.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would like to get a pair of those, but my question is how they can claim "reduced under hood temperature". I have always read that all tubular headers make more under hood heat than cast manifolds.

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
Do you think these can be installed in a driveway by a novice? I mean I can do brakes, plugs, oil changes basic stuff.......I wonder how hard they are to install? and would it change the stock sounds too much? I do like the stock sounds....

·
Silver Back!
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was looking at the area around the engine and it looks like they should just slip in. You may end up loosening the engine mounts and jacking up the engine alittle to help slip them in.

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
the JBA website actually has installation instructions posted for the GTO.Just a heads up.

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
Bone said:
the JBA website actually has installation instructions posted for the GTO.Just a heads up.
I just saw that.......they say to raise the engine 1" or so...I cant do that in my driveway......

·
Sonoma Co. Goat Herd
358 Posts
FYI , You don't have to loosen or jack the motor there is room to remove the stock exhaust just remove the coil, wires, and plug. I had my stock exhaust jet coated

·
Silver Back!
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1newgoat said:
FYI , You don't have to loosen or jack the motor there is room to remove the stock exhaust just remove the coil, wires, and plug. I had my stock exhaust jet coated

I thought you would be able to do it with out jacking up the engine.

·
GTOWILL
236 Posts
Any Dyno runs yet on the JBA Headers?

·
MAX-M6/LS1
223 Posts
Jba Headers Installed

I received a set of JBA headers friday and had them installed in two hours, Remove the plug wires, (I replaced mine anyways with JBA 9mm wires). Didnt remove the motor mount bolt, the right side slipped right in easily the left side I pulled and pushed on the motor and it slipped right in also. It took two of us for that. one to slide in the header and one to push the engine over. It didn't take much. They bolted up perfect. I bought the ceramic coated ones and they are coated inside and out. Now this last part your not going to believe, but I have witnesses. Saturday they had a Dyno Day at RPM and GTOJ and BAD MOJO were there also. At first it was putting out 302 HP at the rear wheels but they said it was detonating and the computer was cutting back on the timing. So we had Chris a LS1-Edit expert and he went into the PCM and changed the settings and when he was finished the GTO was putting out almost 350 HP. Another GTO that was stock was putting around 280 HP to the wheels. My GTO only has the Borla catback sys. the headers and plug wires and now the tuned PCM.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Whoa!!!!! If you hadn't had witnesses you would not be believed. That is awesome.
:drink::drink:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts