LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the goat back last night.
Had my ex-brother in law install the JBA's up to the stock midpipes.
I guess he did not have much fun !
He said the header install was easy, it was hooking the mids back to the headers that was a real pain in the arse.
Something about no room for normal sized hands ??
Guess he had to use an old distributer timing wrench to finally get the bolts tightened.

Heck, the main reason I went with shorties was that I was going to install them myself, and from what I read, I thought they were a piece of cake compared to LTs!

I don't have the heart to tell him I'm looking for a set of catless midpipes !

When I do find them, looks like I will be installing them.
Is it really that tough ?
Any tricks/suggestions ?

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Its really not that tough. Just get a long extension for your ratchet and a friend to help line you up on the bolts. You will be under the car and your friend will be looking down from the hood. At least that worked for me.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
GTO Fan said:
Its really not that tough. Just get a long extension for your ratchet and a friend to help line you up on the bolts. You will be under the car and your friend will be looking down from the hood. At least that worked for me.
It is a much easier install on the 05/06 due to the changes in the placement of the computer...gives much more room on the driver's side.

This is one of those things that I did just to say that I did it, but that I will never, ever, EVER do again.

·
goat lover
212 Posts
the longer bolts are a must, but other than that it was pretty easy. took us a total of 3.5 hours to put the shorties and intake on. no jacks, just my rhino ramps. i do have kinda small hands tho

·
GTO no more baaah!
1,150 Posts
You need not just longer bolts but THICKER bolts. Not for the strength so much as they don't wobble around in the hole and are easier to get started. This is much easier to do on a lift because you may need the leverage to move the midpipe around a little to line it up right. I originally installed mine in my driveway with jackstands and I needed a monkey-wrench to twist the pipe around to get it to match up with the holes (mid-pipe to cat-back connection).
My original JBA titaniums were replaced under warranty for corrosion (bad coating) with Silver Ceramic and re-installed by Richard (Thanks!)

·
Its not a real hemi
902 Posts
I just installed my shorties today but apparently I didnt tighten down the flange bolts enough. How exactly did you guys position yourselves to get to them? I have tiny hands and even thinner arms, to the point that I can fit inbetween the openings between the pipes. sorry for the on topic hijacking.
EDIT: Nevermind, got it and they sound great now!

·
More Boost = More Fun!
1,461 Posts
Actually adding the catless midpipes whent alot better than the headers. Approx. 1hr start to finish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.