LS1GTO Forums banner

JHP gauges finally installed!

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  MuhThugga 
#1 ·
Finally got the gauges installed this weekend. I still have to switch my instrument cluster overlay for the 2005 font and do the programming to the cluster. I also still need to install the 2006 power door lock kit and wire my Gentex mirror map light wire to the negative door triggers, so hopefully I can finish next weekend.

Instead of flooding the stock fuse box with a bunch of fuse taps, I opted to buy and install a Painless Wiring auxiliary fuse box and wire both the gauges and Gentex mirror to it. Much cleaner install and it is hidden under the air filter of my LPE CAI.
Audio equipment Electrical wiring Gas Cable Machine
Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Steering wheel
Car Vehicle Speedometer Automotive design Gauge
Car Speedometer Vehicle Trip computer Tachometer
Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like a clean install and I dig the idea with the map lights triggered by the door.

9,970 miles.....so jealous.

#3 ·
I had the map lights originally wired to the floor light and it worked accept for 1 thing... when the alarm gets armed, the BCM pulses the illumination relay 10 seconds after arming and it was kicking the map light on. After digging around and asking for opinions, it was suggested to wire the light into the negative door triggers and diode isolate them if need be. So I am going to try it this weekend and see what happens.

I am gonna cry a little when I cross 10,000...

#5 ·
Good question... when I bought the car new, I took it to a stereo shop in 2005 to have the system replaced. They did a shit job and to make matters worse, they put a fucked up looking hole in the firewall on the driver's side to run the 4 gauge wire through.

Prior to installing the gauges, I had began removing the wiring they did and I decided to use the hole they made as my access for the gauge pod and mirror wiring. I went to Harbor freight and bought a 12" straight drill bit extension, a 12" flexible bit extension and a pack of 3 step bits. I prayed, and then proceeded to perfect the hole and put a 1" grommet around it. Problem solved.

That stereo shop is the reason I let no one touch my cars anymore, unless it is absolutely necessary. It is a clear fact that half the people out there that say they can do something just can't do it right. Luckily for me it was a cosmetic issue. There was also risk of an unprotected 4 gauge power wire that could have chafed and started a fire. Good thing my car is not a daily driver.

Sorry for the novel, but I had to give the back story on it.

#8 ·
Sounds about right for a stereo shop. Every single one around here employees teenagers who love to use these little fuckers:

#11 ·
Sounds about right for a stereo shop. Every single one around here employees teenagers who love to use these little fuckers:
I see you live in Delaware. I was living in Wilmington when I bought the GTO. The stereo shop was Sound of Tristate over in Claymont. They kept the car for almost a week and it sounded worse than stock.

Needless to say, I learned a valuable lesson and am in the process of unfucking their mess up. I have removed just about everything and will get the rest of the wiring when I run the new speaker wire. I was afraid to take the car apart back in 2005... never again.

Those T taps have their place, just not for everything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.