LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Is there even an 8W7? If it's build like the rest i.e. very deep it will most likely not fit. You need something shallow (4" or less, and don't take my word if you even have 4 inchers) that can play free air. Very limited choice. Do a search for it rear deck in the stereo forum, or even just for subwoofer. I didn't look that up but I suppose the GTO and the 8w7 are in totally different price classes, too. My installer, whom I came to trust, recommended against the W7, by the way. Says they are more show than good sound and more SPL than SQ.

Till

·
Registered
7 Posts
The JL 8W7 will not work in this application unless you are planning on building an enclosure off the rear deck. 8W7's are not designed to run in a free air configuration. This is not accounting for the depth issue at all which would probably prevent you from using an 8W7 in this location anyway. I don't know anything about the JBL sub so I can't comment on it.

Nothing against your installer tfar but he doesn't know what he's talking about with the W7 speakers. The W7's were specifically designed for the best sound quality possible with extreme volumes possible as a side benefit. JL Audio even went as far as designing a new set of testing equipment to measure motor forces inside speakers as they are moving to help make the W7's as accurate as possible. No other manufacturer had ever done this at the time. If your installer doesn't think W7's sound good it is probably because he has never heard another subwoofer that is as accurate as these. I went though a special training put on by JL Audio just to learn about these speakers and how best to install them. Check this link to learn more:
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs_pages.php?page_id=3
:patriot:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IM FROM AUSTRALIA AND I HAVE A VY SS SEDAN... so i dont have the petrol tank in boot... So any 8" sub will fit, what do u guys think of the jbl gto 804 sub? Im leaning toward these!

·
Warranty Killer
400 Posts
the sub you should run is a JL 8IB4. the problem is, they don't make it anymore. It is by far the best sounding 8" true free-air sub I have ever heard. You can't just take a regular subwoofer and mount it in the rear deck, it will sound like arse.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
LT5PLA said:
IM FROM AUSTRALIA AND I HAVE A VY SS SEDAN... so i dont have the petrol tank in boot... So any 8" sub will fit, what do u guys think of the jbl gto 804 sub? Im leaning toward these!
HOW THE HELL ARE WE SUPPOSED TO KNOW THAT!!??

-Dennis

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RELAX WASNT TRYING TO BE RUDE, but yeah i just forgot to state that in my message..

DONT USE CAPS...... i cant hear u

·
I like pie.
267 Posts
I have JL 8's and love them. All my 6.5" are JL as well

·
Registered
528 Posts
Right on again, Joe. No depth issue you can do what you want. Have fun. Might have to figure out where exactly to mount the woofers or fab up a custom bracket but otherwise I'd just get watever suits your fancy. Very privileged situation.

Till

·
Got Zydrate?
2,471 Posts
LT5PLA said:
RELAX WASNT TRYING TO BE RUDE, but yeah i just forgot to state that in my message..

DONT USE CAPS...... i cant hear u
Putting your location into your profile would have prevented it.

Since the tank is not there, do a set of 10" with a bax fabbed in. You'll be much happier. DOn't worry about the complxity of the box, it'll be simple to build and install. I got a .5cf built under there with the tank in the way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guys tried to get them installed today and apparently some steel on the underside of the parcel tray is hitting the sub... so its deoth is to long by like 2cm, they wouldnt cut or trim it to fit which annoys me... when i look at it a small piece just need to be removed thats all...
im not sure if the gto has this same piece of steal on the underside? If someone has some pics of the underside of the tray that would be great thanks....

·
Got Zydrate?
2,471 Posts
LT5PLA said:
Guys tried to get them installed today and apparently some steel on the underside of the parcel tray is hitting the sub... so its deoth is to long by like 2cm, they wouldnt cut or trim it to fit which annoys me... when i look at it a small piece just need to be removed thats all...
im not sure if the gto has this same piece of steal on the underside? If someone has some pics of the underside of the tray that would be great thanks....
wait a sec here. you have someone installing speakers and they can't figure what is preventing them from being mounted and now you want a pic to figure it out?

here's my advice, GET YOUR CAR BACK NOW and NEVER say anything good about them to anyone.

Any idiot who trys to install a system with out checking out what is behind the part is the same idiot who will put a screw through a wire bundle.

tell you installers to OPEN the boot and look for them selves. you may find out they'll start cutting the shelf without protecting the rear glass

·
Registered
528 Posts
Not sure which speaker you actually are using now but perhaps you can make a bracket that simply makes the speaker sit higher (a spacer so to say) which will give you in turn more depth. 2cm might just so fit under the speaker grills.

Otherwise, I am with Ross, you want to make your conditions clear with the installer. And perhaps look over their shoulder while they are working on it.

Till

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They did have a close look and found that there was some steal that was preventing it from being mounted, they didnt want to cut that...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts