LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I'm new but have been following the Google links here for years since I started working on my car.

As the title suggests, I just bought a Kent Moore CH-46839 tool on eBay for way too much. I'm not willing to rent it out, but I can take measurements and pictures for people who want to recreate their own. I personally find it ridiculous that these tools are even that hard to find.

Hopefully it's not a scam or knock off 💁‍♀️

Attachments

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,021 Posts
I assume you're going to do a cradle alignment; what sort of bushings do you have in you rear cradle?
OEM, poly upgrades?
What about the differential mount? OEM, poly, Harrop?

I'm curious if someone with poly bushings can even effectively utilize the tool to any benefit of things...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It ran me $650 shipped, but I figured it may be the only opportunity to buy one outright. It's a small price to pay for not being held back when I do upgrades on the rear.

I ordered Whiteline everything. I plan on completely disassembling the rear, knocking off the rust, and por-15ing over that since I live in the rust belt. That's kinda been the theme so far with this car. I have some movement somewhere back there and haven't been able to properly diagnose it since I couldn't drop the cradle. Plus, have you tried doing the sway bar and control arms bushes without dropping the cradle? Doable, but a PITA.

I'm just some 20y/o guy in his garage so I'm not exactly sure what measurements would be needed, but I'll take a ton and post them here when it comes in. Should be shipped today per the seller.

·
Chickun maka lousy houspet
372 Posts
I would be willing to send some $$$ your way for pictures and measurements!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Would absolutely love some measurements on it! With some square tubing and a bit of welding it can't be that hard to fab a new one

·
GR-RRR!
4,440 Posts
Has anyone ever contacted Kent-Moore tools to see if they would knock out a few more of the front and rear alignment tools? They made them originally, I would assume they still have the specs to build more if there was a reason to do so.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,021 Posts
It ran me $650 shipped, but I figured it may be the only opportunity to buy one outright. It's a small price to pay for not being held back when I do upgrades on the rear.

I ordered Whiteline everything. I plan on completely disassembling the rear, knocking off the rust, and por-15ing over that since I live in the rust belt. That's kinda been the theme so far with this car. I have some movement somewhere back there and haven't been able to properly diagnose it since I couldn't drop the cradle. Plus, have you tried doing the sway bar and control arms bushes without dropping the cradle? Doable, but a PITA.

I'm just some 20y/o guy in his garage so I'm not exactly sure what measurements would be needed, but I'll take a ton and post them here when it comes in. Should be shipped today per the seller.
Good man.

I'll be on the lookout for those posts.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would absolutely love some measurements on it! With some square tubing and a bit of welding it can't be that hard to fab a new one
I'm hoping to make it easy, because right now it's certainly not!

Has anyone ever contacted Kent-Moore tools to see if they would knock out a few more of the front and rear alignment tools? They made them originally, I would assume they still have the specs to build more if there was a reason to do so.

I was redirected to Bosch(who maybe owned them?) and was told flatly that they're not in stock anymore and I'd have to have a dealer number to even buy one

It would have to be very accurate to be worth the while.

I'm thinking the hardest part will be the actual center of the dowels and the radius of the cutout. I'm gonna run out and grab a protractor to figure out the angle of the arms. I'm open to suggestions though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So it showed up and now I'm wondering how I'm going to measure the dowels on the one side. I always thought they were circular, but these are oblonged. Also, there's some semi-triangular pads that will be difficult. I have a busy weekend planned with the family, but I will try to get some measurements banged out for everyone.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
REAR ALIGNMENT TOOL

Hey,

I'm new but have been following the Google links here for years since I started working on my car.

As the title suggests, I just bought a Kent Moore CH-46839 tool on eBay for way too much. I'm not willing to rent it out, but I can take measurements and pictures for people who want to recreate their own. I personally find it ridiculous that these tools are even that hard to find.

Hopefully it's not a scam or knock off 💁‍♀️&#xfe

IF IT POSSIBLE COULD I RENT IT FROM YOU

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey,

Hopefully it's not a scam or knock off 💁‍♀️

IF IT POSSIBLE COULD I RENT IT FROM YOU
I hope this is a joke..

So I have it on my bench all cleaned up. Unfortunately time doesn't allow much more today, but I'm here to ask suggestions from you, the viewer.
Is there a 3d rendering software or some other tool I could use to make these measurements make sense? I feel like hand-drawn scribbles will do little for somebody making a legit tool.
As I said before, I'm just some solo guy in his garage so I'm going to try and do my best.

If anybody is in the Rockford IL area and they've done something like this before, I could bring it over and we could knock it out. No, you can't keep it overnight. I'm not a dummy.

Otherwise, I could take it to a local Fab shop and see what they say?

Any advice is helpful here guys/girls. I really just wanna help the lone garage ranger like myself out.

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
I hope this is a joke..

So I have it on my bench all cleaned up. Unfortunately time doesn't allow much more today, but I'm here to ask suggestions from you, the viewer.
Is there a 3d rendering software or some other tool I could use to make these measurements make sense? I feel like hand-drawn scribbles will do little for somebody making a legit tool.
As I said before, I'm just some solo guy in his garage so I'm going to try and do my best.

If anybody is in the Rockford IL area and they've done something like this before, I could bring it over and we could knock it out. No, you can't keep it overnight. I'm not a dummy.

Otherwise, I could take it to a local Fab shop and see what they say?

Any advice is helpful here guys/girls. I really just wanna help the lone garage ranger like myself out.
My best advice would be make a jig that it fits into and start replicating. Same thing a shop would do.

Or find a way to take square measurements from a relative base point. Thatll be harder than said since its a tiered part.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,021 Posts
Not to be buzz-killington, but in an interest to protect the "lone garage ranger", wouldn't replicating this tool with a jig or otherwise be some kind of intellectual properly infringement against Kent Moore?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts