LS1GTO Forums banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Worthless reject member
40,979 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. Not sure if prime duration will help, cause I have a fuel pressure gauge and I always remember seeing 58psi before cranking. I looked through hptuners and found this under engine-fuel-cranking fuel, "[ECM] 12320 - Cranking FA Mult Stage 1 vs. Cranking Time: These tables are FA multipliers that determine fuel delivery in relation to time."
These values look the same compared to stock, maybe I can increase the values in the 70 degree range slightly.
E85 Versus Gasoline
Properties
................ Ethyl Alcohol.......Gasoline
Boiling Point
.................173° F...............102° F
Solubility......................Miscible..............Insoluble
Flash Point........................55° F.........-45° F
Upper Explosive Limit......19%.............7.60%
Lower Explosive Limit.......3.30%.........1.40%
Visible Flame....................Yes...............Yes
With the flash point of e85 being 55F you would think I shouldn't have any starting issues at 70 degrees.
i would try extending that time like hadagto said. getting the fuel pressure higher during prime would help get more feul out during the priming pulse before cranking starts. wonder if changing the very early cells in the FA/cranking time table will help you. It's basically the closest thing you will get to adding fuel to the initial priming injector pulse, even though it's after cranking starts, while if i understand correctly the priming pulse is key on, before cranking. Also, like he said, just waiting a second with the key on to let all of that happen could help.

also, like i said above, the gas quality matters. i had no issues with startup in warm weather in either of my cars, but only while in the 40's and below really in my 04. However, just as an anecdote, i recently switched to a different brand E85, which upon testing i could visually see had a different color and consistency of gasoline. It tested as 85% alcohol. ethanol is pretty much ethanol, like i said. The stuff i had in the tank was 80% but was from my old station. The smell of the exhaust was even different. More like gas and less like corn syrup, and this is with 5% more ethanol content.

i had to adjust idle and light cruise VE dramatically, my fuel trims at idle went from a few negative percent with the old fuel to over -20. and of course richen everything up because of the 5% difference in ethanol content. The gas component of the fuel mattered that much, to effect the AFR at idle and low load. Something to take into consideration while tuning the car, is to stick with a brand of E85, not just test the ethanol content.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
i would try extending that time like hadagto said. getting the fuel pressure higher during prime would help get more feul out during the priming pulse before cranking starts. wonder if changing the very early cells in the FA/cranking time table will help you. It's basically the closest thing you will get to adding fuel to the initial priming injector pulse, even though it's after cranking starts, while if i understand correctly the priming pulse is key on, before cranking. Also, like he said, just waiting a second with the key on to let all of that happen could help.

also, like i said above, the gas quality matters. i had no issues with startup in warm weather in either of my cars, but only while in the 40's and below really in my 04. However, just as an anecdote, i recently switched to a different brand E85, which upon testing i could visually see had a different color and consistency of gasoline. It tested as 85% alcohol. ethanol is pretty much ethanol, like i said. The stuff i had in the tank was 80% but was from my old station. The smell of the exhaust was even different. More like gas and less like corn syrup, and this is with 5% more ethanol content.

i had to adjust idle and light cruise VE dramatically, my fuel trims at idle went from a few negative percent with the old fuel to over -20. and of course richen everything up because of the 5% difference in ethanol content. The gas component of the fuel mattered that much, to effect the AFR at idle and low load. Something to take into consideration while tuning the car, is to stick with a brand of E85, not just test the ethanol content.
That's a very good point about the quality of the 15% gas put in e85. I usually fill up with e85 at my local Walmart with a murphy's gas station, the other one is a Sunoco with quite a difference in price, maybe 20 cents difference per gallon if I remember correctly. This was the main reason I tested the ethanol content, maybe I'll have to test the octane next. I live in Houston so supposedly we are supposed to have some of the best gas quality here, being the energy city of the country and all.
Down the street from me they actually sell ethanol free gas that has a octane rating of 92, maybe I'll start making my own ethanol and use this gas as the 15% lol, jk.

I'll look into making slight changes to the FA/cranking time table sometime soon. I have a switch wired up in the cabin to activate the 2nd fuel pump as a backup anytime I want, I can use that to prime the car longer as a test. It's still 85 degrees here at the moment so I will have to wait a bit before I can start a trial and error.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Soooo, in my other thread on ls1tech, I had someone reply telling me that my speed density tune was not actually a speed density tune. I looked more closely at my tune and it appears he is 100% correct if I'm not mistaken, It appears to rely 100% on the maf actually.
Also, I found this post on hptuners which is referring to a E40 PCM.
"FWIW, I had a 06 Vette that we put a D1SC, flex fuel sensor, E85, etc, etc.

When adding the additional timing for the E85 in the "Flex Fuel spark table" it would show the timing in the log but I believe it wasn't actually adding it.

The reason I say this is if I put the added timing in the high octane table I would see an increase in power, if I add it in the flex fuel spark table(and take it out of the high octane table" I'd loose a bunch of power.

Was I adding it in the wrong table?"
Question about Flex Fuel / E85 Tuning Post number 17
This sounds like exactly what my tuner was having issues with at first and why he added the spark to the high octane table instead.

·
Worthless reject member
40,979 Posts
Soooo, in my other thread on ls1tech, I had someone reply telling me that my speed density tune was not actually a speed density tune. I looked more closely at my tune and it appears he is 100% correct if I'm not mistaken, It appears to rely 100% on the maf actually.
Also, I found this post on hptuners which is referring to a E40 PCM.
"FWIW, I had a 06 Vette that we put a D1SC, flex fuel sensor, E85, etc, etc.

When adding the additional timing for the E85 in the "Flex Fuel spark table" it would show the timing in the log but I believe it wasn't actually adding it.

The reason I say this is if I put the added timing in the high octane table I would see an increase in power, if I add it in the flex fuel spark table(and take it out of the high octane table" I'd loose a bunch of power.

Was I adding it in the wrong table?"
Question about Flex Fuel / E85 Tuning Post number 17
This sounds like exactly what my tuner was having issues with at first and why he added the spark to the high octane table instead.
That's interesting about the spark adder tables. I guess the software isn't entirely set up to use them? I guess that's believable. Seems with many GM ECM's, enabling features that were never always entirely implimented can be buggy.

Sucks about your tune. It should be reverting to SD mode if the MAF isn't isn't connected, though.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
That's interesting about the spark adder tables. I guess the software isn't entirely set up to use them? I guess that's believable. Seems with many GM ECM's, enabling features that were never always entirely implimented can be buggy.

Sucks about your tune, i imagine you probably don't have a MAF either... i wonder if getting it redone would help out your cranking issue. The ECM does rely on the MAF heavily, even during cranking.
I have a maf.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Is it failing the MAF so it can revert to SD mode?
From what I can tell it's not. Looks like it's relying on the maf 100%. Looks to have the maf freq. patch 15000hz in order not to have the stock maf maxed out and he doesn't have the Speed density 2 bar code modification applied.
I sent him an email just now, it's supposed to be a reputable shop but he has a few mixed reviews if you look deep enough. Google reviews for the place look too good to be true. 4.9 stars, I actually left a less than 5 star review in the past just based on the customer service I received there and I never saw it get posted. He might have some method to filter out the bad reviews through google.
I'm gonna try to ask for a full refund if possible, I doubt he will agree, I don't want to have to drive 3 hours again for something that's his fault. I don't know how he could of screwed up this bad, I'm starting to think he did this on purpose, maybe to make the tune easier for him.
It looks like he has the TCS patch applied which is defined as this: "TCS Patch: OS Patch for TCS issues when running in SD mode. Select patched option to apply patch and then rewrite entire OS."
Seems a bit strange, hmmm.

·
Worthless reject member
40,979 Posts
From what I can tell it's not. Looks like it's relying on the maf 100%. Looks to have the maf freq. patch 15000hz in order not to have the stock maf maxed out and he doesn't have the Speed density 2 bar code modification applied.
I sent him an email just now, it's supposed to be a reputable shop but he has a few mixed reviews if you look deep enough. Google reviews for the place look too good to be true. 4.9 stars, I actually left a less than 5 star review in the past just based on the customer service I received there and I never saw it get posted. He might have some method to filter out the bad reviews through google.
I'm gonna try to ask for a full refund if possible, I doubt he will agree, I don't want to have to drive 3 hours again for something that's his fault. I don't know how he could of screwed up this bad, I'm starting to think he did this on purpose, maybe to make the tune easier for him.
It looks like he has the TCS patch applied which is defined as this: "TCS Patch: OS Patch for TCS issues when running in SD mode. Select patched option to apply patch and then rewrite entire OS."
Seems a bit strange, hmmm.
i need to go on ls1tech and download your tune. sorry i didn't before. i don't have a ton of experience with SD tuning, only running around with a disabled maf to collect VE data, but this doesn't sound right.

·
Worthless reject member
40,979 Posts
sorry for the edit above, i really need to think more before i hit submit post. reason i asked was if you were running the 2 bar upgrade, it uses a different OS, but you answered that. Looking at your file now.

stock maf or card type?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
sorry for the edit above, i really need to think more before i hit submit post. reason i asked was if you were running the 2 bar upgrade, it uses a different OS, but you answered that. Looking at your file now.

stock maf or card type?
stock and no worries.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
These screenshots should show that it's not running in speed density.
Something else I notice is the high and low octane tables are the same, but all the gas and flex tables for spark advance are zeroed out. Makes me wonder how he is pulling spark when I'm running regular pump gas if he is. I don't know enough yet to figure that out yet.

·
Worthless reject member
40,979 Posts
ok, that worries me. His values in the MAF tables are lower than stock. A lot lower. unless i'm reading the file compare backwards. normally that means you're running a different MAF. I mean it could honestly be your MAF calibration with the procharger, i dunno.

VE table is STOCK. the smurf.

he has LTFT's disabled. not sure why.

yeah, it's basically MAF only. The hybrid MAF/VE airflow stuff is disabled above 400 rpm, so it's basically all MAF all the time.

·
Worthless reject member
40,979 Posts
These screenshots should show that it's not running in speed density.
Something else I notice is the high and low octane tables are the same, but all the gas and flex tables for spark advance are zeroed out. Makes me wonder how he is pulling spark when I'm running regular pump gas if he is. I don't know enough yet to figure that out yet.

View attachment 504622 View attachment 504623 View attachment 504624 View attachment 504625
wait up man, i'm still looking, lol.

·
Worthless reject member
40,979 Posts
he disabled p0101, p0106, and p0121, and p0068. i assume to get past the MAF/MAP vs TPS correlation BS.

maf isn't set to fail. derp. so much for SD.

what kind of injectors are you running?

doesn't seem like has the right stuff disabled in the DTC list, either.

·
Worthless reject member
40,979 Posts
What's your AFR like at WOT? And, is your wideband set up to display 1.00 lambda as 14.7, or 9.75 or whatever the smurf stoic for E85 is...

21 - 40 of 65 Posts