LS1GTO Forums banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
he disabled p0101, p0106, and p0121, and p0068. i assume to get past the MAF/MAP vs TPS correlation BS.

maf isn't set to fail. derp. so much for SD.

what kind of injectors are you running?

doesn't seem like has the right stuff disabled in the DTC list, either.
FIC Flow Max 1000 CC for LS1/LS6/LS2/LQ4/LY9
Fuel injector connection

·
Worthless reject member
40,979 Posts
It's been a while but typically in the 11s, sometimes I see 12 for short periods as I'm accelerating.
as long as your wideband is set up to read 1.00 lambda as 14.7 that should be ok... puts you below .82 lambda. not sure if you want to run a little fatter since you in boost, but at least it isn't raw lean.

·
Worthless reject member
40,979 Posts
I mean, so far it kinda seems like your tune works. He doesn't have crazy numbers for main spark, consdiering you are running E85. Obviously your MAF cal is correct, although scaled. Maybe he was just lazy and did a MAF tune and didn't feel like building a VE table and was like "HERE NAO U MAEK POWAH GIMME TREEFIDDY."

·
Worthless reject member
40,979 Posts
i wonder if your injector size has something to do with your cranking issues, btw. not that i have experience tuning injectors that big. he did change the min inj pulse and short pulse adder and short pulse limit, so it seems like he made changes to the correct tables for very large injectors, although i would not be able to say atm if he made the correct changes without doing some figuring and looking a few things up.

he did also just halve your entire cranking VE table.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
i wonder if your injector size has something to do with your cranking issues, btw. not that i have experience tuning injectors that big. he did change the min inj pulse and short pulse adder and short pulse limit, so it seems like he made changes to the correct tables for very large injectors, although i would not be able to say atm if he made the correct changes without doing some figuring and looking a few things up.
I mean, so far it kinda seems like your tune works. He doesn't have crazy numbers for main spark, consdiering you are running E85. Obviously your MAF cal is correct, although scaled. Maybe he was just lazy and did a MAF tune and didn't feel like building a VE table and was like "HERE NAO U MAEK POWAH GIMME TREEFIDDY."
That's good to know, thanks for your help.
Occasionally I use 93 octane. I don't really understand everything I'm looking at here but it looks like the spark will be the same with 93 as e85.

·
Worthless reject member
40,979 Posts
i typically zero out the spark/advance/fuel/gas gas table, myself, and make sure the spark/advance/base high and low octane match. But, yes, it should be the same as far as i can tell.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
i typically zero out the spark/advance/fuel/gas gas table, myself, and make sure the spark/advance/base high and low octane match. But, yes, it should be the same as far as i can tell.
Dang, that sucks. he could of at least put a lower value in the low octane table. I wonder if I apply the 2 bar OS update if it would fix the flex fuel table issue.
I really wish I can convince him to refund my money, I just did a compression test recently which showed a 18.4% difference both wet and dry. I would love to use that money to get a camshaft package in the event I have to replace any of the valvetrain.
I'm really unhappy with my experience with him thus far, and don't want to continue doing business with him.

·
Administrator
20,415 Posts
When it comes to E85 tuning, the best thing you can do is look at an actual, factory flex fuel tune to see what they do. Find a flex fuel OS from the HPTuners repository and look at stuff like the Flex Fuel base Corrections table under timing.

05 Flex Fuel Avalanche for example.

My guess - if you are having troubles cranking its likely not a timing issue but something else more impactful like airflow or your fuel mixture is way off.

·
Worthless reject member
40,979 Posts
When it comes to E85 tuning, the best thing you can do is look at an actual, factory flex fuel tune to see what they do. Find a flex fuel OS from the HPTuners repository and look at stuff like the Flex Fuel base Corrections table under timing.

05 Flex Fuel Avalanche for example.

My guess - if you are having troubles cranking its likely not a timing issue but something else more impactful like airflow or your fuel mixture is way off.
i think this is really good advice.

the manufacturer has a team of dudes with professional degrees developing this software and and another team designing the engine and fuel systems and another team testing the engines, ad infinitum... and they have far more resources than the average sole DIY'er working in his garage with a laptop, or even a "professional" tuner. we tend to knock the factory tunes like "DURHURHUR DIS T00N SO CONSERVATIVE FROM T3H FAKTOREE" well... that stuff is in there for a reason.

whoever lets all that crappy QC go on at tesla on the other hand... yeah, those guys could probably finish highschool first. :wall:

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
My 06 is running flex with an LSA blower on it. Adding spark to the flex table does add it to the total. Make sure the flex is properly enabled, with the % alcohol blend tables.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
My Cranking spark is still stock as well, and last winter, had a few days in the teens, and it started right up as well.
Here is the flex spark table as well.
flex spark.jpg
spark_comp.jpg

·
Worthless reject member
40,979 Posts
My Cranking spark is still stock as well, and last winter, had a few days in the teens, and it started right up as well.
View attachment 504697 View attachment 504698
cool.

if i ever use a flex fuel sensor, i'll look back at this.

the last table is basically telling the ECM to multiply the flex fuel adder table by the percentage and then add it to main spark, correct?

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
cool.

if i ever use a flex fuel sensor, i'll look back at this.

the last table is basically telling the ECM to multiply the flex fuel adder table by the percentage and then add it to main spark, correct?
Yep, exactly how it works.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
View attachment 504697 View attachment 504698
Thanks for the file, should prove helpful. You seem to be making pretty good power for 8.5psi, do you have any engine mods, I'm assuming ls3 heads?
I made 540whp originally on E85 with 8psi.
I'm about to start tuning it for SD now, I got Lakegoat helping me on another forum right now, hptunersforum.
From the looks of it, most e40 owners don't have the issue with the flex table. Maybe it's only certain OS? My flex fuel sensor works, cause I've used both e85 and 93 and my afr is good.
Hoping when I apply the 2 bar code and re-write the entire system it fixes the bug. Lakegoat said it may also be because my default flex fuel percentage was set at 70%.
I redid my spark tables, I found a tune from magnuson that someone had uploaded for these cars, so I copied their main spark table into mine and put the differences between my spark and theirs's into my flex table excluding the negatives of course which I just subtracted from the main table instead since you can't put negative values in the flex table. This way, with e85 my spark stays the same as before.
magnuson.png

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I was looking at my original tune and I see one possible reason why It might of took me 2 cranks to start with e85, maybe. The tuner scaled down the maf by 50% for the larger injectors, however he left the ve table stock. He set cranking VE to 50%, he set "high rpm disable" at 400rpm, which disables the map above 400rpm. " "[ECM] 3003 - Dynamic Airflow High RPM Disable: Above this RPM use filtered MAF airmass for airmass prediction calculations." So under 400rpm it should supply enough fuel but above 400rpm while cranking, it should maybe switch to the maf table for ve predictions which is already scaled down 50%, plus cranking ve is scaled down to 50% causing final cranking VE to be 25%?
Just a wild guess.

·
Worthless reject member
40,979 Posts
maf and ve generally doesn't stack that way. the maf should be correct by itself, and so should the VE.

i am not sure how the cranking VE table actually works since in the stock LS2 tune, it is all 100's, unless it is just some sort of multiplier table applied to an extrapolated version of the main VE while cranking. with the mouse-over, vcm editor says "this table is used to determine airmass calculations during cranking. it is a percentage of ideal cylinder volume."

The tuner should have done your main VE table, regardless.

the high rpm disable is for the dynamic airflow mode, so above 400 rpm the ECM uses solely the MAF and does not reference the VE table. normally this is like 4000 rpm, and under that the ECM uses the VE table to predict airmass, so transition fueling isn't incorrect before the MAF reacts to the airflow. I think it also references the VE to correct for errors in MAF reading.

not sure what RPM the engine cranks at, but i would imagine less than 400 rpm.

·
Administrator
20,415 Posts
Be careful of magnusson tunes. At a minimum, their earlier ones were dog shit.

Reactions: 05silgto
41 - 60 of 65 Posts