LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
GR-RRR!
5,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A deal on a very slightly used (3500 miles) set of Jet Hot coated Kooks stepped headers with Kooks high flow cats came my way so I had to jump on it. I really didn't feel the need to upgrade to LTs from my JBA shorties due to the install hassle and the cost and I've been very pleased with my JBAs, but when this deal came my way I just couldn't ignore it.

Not too many bolt on improvements left that I can do after these.....

And I suppose I can sell my coated JBAs and HF cats to recoup a portion of the cost of the Kooks.

I wonder if they will make the car very much louder than it is right now? I'll be sticking with my Magnaflow catback.

·
Worthless reject member
39,382 Posts
You still got a gz motorsports vacuum pump, meziere EWP, and 1.8 comp ultra pro magnums with a BTR springs to install. Don't give me this u ain't got no bolt-ons left.

We gonna get ya to 400whp on bolt ons.

·
Powdercoat all of it
111 Posts
You'd be surprised, I bet it quiets down the car. I had short hookers (heh) on my 00 b4c. When I replaced the motor with a newer ls1 long block, it actually got quieter when I included 1 7/8 long tubes with the install. Well, it's not quieter, it's like it mellows and lowers the tone, removes some tinniness to the exhaust note if that makes sense. Same on my ss, got more mellow from manifolds to long tubes.

·
GR-RRR!
5,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We shall see. I'm going to put in a poly steering rack bushing while I'm in there just 'cuz.

Last Summer it dynoed at 379, would be nice if the new headers would at least get me up in the 390 range on the same dyno. Of course if I went catless it would be easier, but I want to keep some cats on the thing. Environment and all that.

·
GR-RRR!
5,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Engine-wise it is:
1. professional dyno tune
2. FAST 102 LSXR (ported), not really a mod but also has a new LS3 TB
3. SLP 25% underdrive pulley
4. JBA shorty headers and JBA high flow cats
5. Magnaflow catback
6. OTRCAI, DuSpeed
7. Relocated fast acting IAT sensor
8. NGK TR6 spark plugs (helps with the tune apparently)

Did 379 RWHP on a Dynojet on a 95+ degree day. Tune is not on the ragged edge.

I'll be adding Kooks 1-7/8"-1-3/4" stepped headers and Kooks high flow cats. Not sure how well or if the Kooks 3" cat pips will fit to my 2.5" Magnaflow system. Tuner thinks no or only minor adjustment of the tune will be needed. Will have him check it out once the Kooks are installed. I'll dyno it again later this year when he has a dyno day just to see if it improves.

Anyone know if the Kooks 3" HF cats will bolt to a 2.5" catback? Guy selling the Kooks to me said he had it bolted to a stock catback.

·
GR-RRR!
5,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Reading notes on Summit Racing, they say the Kooks mids are for connecting Kooks headers to an OEM 2.5" catback so I should be good.

What header gaskets are the best? When I installed the JBAs folks told me the OEMs even used would work the best and that's what I did and they have worked great. I think I have a new set of OEMs around here somewhere.

·
Worthless reject member
39,382 Posts
OEM's. I remember back in the day, that was the only one recommended, since all the aftermarket gaskets would blow out and tick so bad it would make you think you had rod knock.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yea headers will bolt up fine. I think just about all aftermarket go to a 3" collector then taper down to fit a 2.5" 2 boot flange.

I just ordered some 2.5" 2 bolt flange gaskets off Amazon. Got some decent metal ones no issues. OEM will be fine.

·
Administrator
8,100 Posts
Congrats on picking up the unicorn of headers.

I’d be shocked if you don’t pick up power as the collectors is where the power is made, and kooks are significantly better than shorties in that area.

·
GR-RRR!
5,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
We shall see. They won't be here for a while and the weather outside if frightful. Even if I had them in hand right this minute it'd be a while on the install since I don't have a heated garage. A friend offered his heated garage, but I'd play heck just getting the GTO to his house, especially with those Summer only tires that stink on dry pavement at anything below 40 degrees let alone with snow and ice on the ground. It will be a good Spring project. I ordered the gaskets tonight and the headers are coming with O2 sensor extensions so I should have everything I need once they arrive. Oh, but I'll have to get some tie rod boot clamps since I plan to install the steering rack bushing while I'm under there mucking around.

I hope I remember to check my alignment before I start so I can set it back once I'm done.

·
Administrator
8,100 Posts
Yeah, installing headers in the cold is not a fun task.

·
GR-RRR!
5,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Installing ANYTHING in the cold is not fun.

I once had to remove and replace the oil pan on my 85 MR2 in February. It was a 4 car garage with just tin walls. The little space heater did okay to heat the air in my work spot. but could do nothing about the cold in the concrete. Even with carpet down it was bone numbing. Had to do it in shifts over a number of days even though it was fairly easy to do.

·
GR-RRR!
5,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The check I mailed for the headers FINALLY got there. They will be shipped to me in the next few days. Lets hope they get here quicker than my check took to get there. We are only talking about going from NE to CO and now from CO to NE.

One question. The instructions say to lift the engine about 2 inches with the driver's side engine mount disconnected to install the driver's side header. What is a good lifting point for the engine? I would hesitate to jack on the oil pan. Does it help to loosen the other engine mount and the transmission mount?

·
1 of 40,757
6,303 Posts
I have experience with frigid oil pump changes in the driveway.
3 inch furniture foam works well to insulate your body from the concrete. It also eliminates the bruising you get from rolling around on concrete.

I finally bought a heater for the garage. Sealing up the garage helped a lot as well.

·
Worthless reject member
39,382 Posts
I wish i could have something better than a kerosone powered torpedo. Leaves a layer if grime on my car. It does get it nice and warm, though.

There's no sense in installing a furnace in mine since it isn't insulated. It would be nice having it at a constant temperature, though.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I wish i could have something better than a kerosone powered torpedo. Leaves a layer if grime on my car. It does get it nice and warm, though.

There's no sense in installing a furnace in mine since it isn't insulated. It would be nice having it at a constant temperature, though.
mini splits are relatively inexpensive, I just put one in my garage. Not too sure how well it'd do uninsulated though.

·
Worthless reject member
39,382 Posts
Yeah, i need to finish the inside.

Other projects await. We need a totally new bafroom and bedroom floor and kitchen counters need done. And the roof, but i would rather do that after i do the garage to stabalize the temps so it doesn't affect the new roof.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts