LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Ludicrous Speed!
Joined
·
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally dragged out the Intercomp scales here at work and weighed the car:

Weight is with 1/2 tank of gas, no spare tire, no wing:
3666 empty, 3842 with me in the car
Side to side was 50/50
Front to rear was 55.9/44.1

Next up are some lighter rims and a dry cell battery. Not sure where to go from there...
 

·
Yellow Goat
Joined
·
410 Posts
3666 is not bad. All you did was take off the wing and spare? Just another 150 pounds and it would be in the very respectable 3500 range which is good for a car of this sophistication and comfort level.
 

·
I like boobs.
Joined
·
6,581 Posts
You can no doubt cut 30-40lbs off with lighter wheels and tires alone. I'm not sure i'd go so far as to remove sound dampening material since it is a comfortable car and removing the sound deadening would make it loud and creaky. Without really cutting anything out or removing anything vital, i'm not sure where else you could easily cut weight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,016 Posts
Were you able to get individual corner weight #'s ?
 

·
Yellow Goat
Joined
·
410 Posts
HRJ said:
Were you able to get individual corner weight #'s ?
You can get that with the given information.

3666 empty

Front to rear was 55.9/44.1 = 2049/1617 lbs. per end

Side to side was 50/50 gives us;

FR 1024.5 lbs.
FL 1024.5 lbs.
RR 808.5 lbs.
RL 808.5 lbs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,016 Posts
1COOLPC said:
You can get that with the given information.

3666 empty

Front to rear was 55.9/44.1 = 2049/1617 lbs. per end

Side to side was 50/50 gives us;

FR 1024.5 lbs.
FL 1024.5 lbs.
RR 808.5 lbs.
RL 808.5 lbs.
You are too cool! (hence the name, I suppose...)
 

·
Ex SHO owner
Joined
·
316 Posts
CSiJason said:
You can no doubt cut 30-40lbs off with lighter wheels and tires alone. I'm not sure i'd go so far as to remove sound dampening material since it is a comfortable car and removing the sound deadening would make it loud and creaky. Without really cutting anything out or removing anything vital, i'm not sure where else you could easily cut weight.

I wonder how much weight a carbon fiber/fiberglass hood and trunk lid would save. I am sure that racing seats would save probably 40 lbs or more per seat in the front. Just a couple more ideas. Anyone have thoughts on the weight savings of them?
 

·
Ludicrous Speed!
Joined
·
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am probably going to use a plasma cutter on the fuel cell brace, and trim some of the middle pieces out. Don't want to remove it entirely, but all that steel isn't required for my tastes.

Lighter rims will make a difference, as I am down to 3650 #s now with the slightly lighter Voxxs. You can save 40 or more pounds with high dollar lightweight rims, such as Comp SSRs. The remaining weight will depend upon how much comfort and noise suppression you wish to give up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
2Cool said:
Finally dragged out the Intercomp scales here at work and weighed the car:

Weight is with 1/2 tank of gas, no spare tire, no wing:
3666 empty, 3842 with me in the car
Side to side was 50/50
Front to rear was 55.9/44.1

Next up are some lighter rims and a dry cell battery. Not sure where to go from there...
Pull the passenger seat, and rear seat. Them SOB's are heavy. OF course I'd only do it for the track.... I love the seats on the street. I have been thinking of going with a Kirkey racing seat for track days. Running a lightweight seat along with ditching the stockers has to be worth 100#. Best part is you can take them in and out pretty easily for the weight savings they provide.

IF done right a composite hood and decklid would help as well. But, don't get one made of chop strand fiberglass, they are not great when it comes to weight vs. strength. Go for one made of a fiberglass mat. I think Scorpio has a composite ramair hood, but I am not sure if it is much lighter than stock.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top