LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
And I love it. It is a completely stock steath install, unless you look in the trunk or on the vent pillars of the front doors.

Up in the front stock spots I used Infinity 6000cs components
In back stock spots I used Infinity Kappa 62.5i
In the stock sub spots I used Rockford Fosgate Punch RFP 4406
All powered by an Infinity Reference 5760a 6 channel amp.

I wanted to take the chance to personally thank all of you on this board making this upgrade very easy and very clean.

I also want to add special thanks to iqbalinc, straegen, jodi and miscreant for going way beyond the call, answering my millions of PMs and questions about this install. I would not have been able to complete it without you four, so thanks a ton guys !! :hail:

·
Retired LEO meow
14,535 Posts
I like the tweeter install, the imaging will be much clearer.

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
Whew, more wires than I want to fool with anymore. I cant tell you how much of a headache I had with my last car running wires from the rear and into the doors.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Alexandria-GTO,
Looks good. May I complement you on your choice of tweeter location :cool: Glad to lend you a helping word or two. I'm getting ready to tackle my new HU install next weekend :banghead: So, it's time to pretty much tear it apart for the second, no third, hell, who knows what number time? Again, good job.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Alexandria-GTO said:
All powered by an Infinity Reference 5760a 6 channel amp.
Looks like you mounted the amp just over the tire cut out in the trunk. Have you tried to remove the rear tire yet? After my amp was mounted there wasn't enough room for the tire to exit cleanly. I haven't decided if I will deflate mine or just unscrew the amp if the tire has to come out.

Your install looks great. I hope to have pics of my install soon. I haven't decided what I am going to do for the sub box in the back yet so not quite done.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
straegen said:
Looks like you mounted the amp just over the tire cut out in the trunk. Have you tried to remove the rear tire yet? After my amp was mounted there wasn't enough room for the tire to exit cleanly. I haven't decided if I will deflate mine or just unscrew the amp if the tire has to come out.

Your install looks great. I hope to have pics of my install soon. I haven't decided what I am going to do for the sub box in the back yet so not quite done.

Thanks...I cut a trapezoid area out under the mounting board, to allow for the spare tire to come out. I used the original gas tank cover as a template, then bolted this in right over it.

Spare is GTG. It was a requirement for me.

Backup plan was to place the board on two hinges with two mounting bolts in the bottom. That way I could tilt the whole package up enough to get to the spare. Gald I didnt have to do that. More crap that might rattle.

·
Registered
142 Posts
It looks good alexandria. I am in the planning stages of mine and think I am going to go in the directron that Josephra's is. Did you end up using the stock HU with this then?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
iamdeman said:
It looks good alexandria. I am in the planning stages of mine and think I am going to go in the directron that Josephra's is. Did you end up using the stock HU with this then?
For now yes. But I will be upgrading to a Double Din Kenwood DDX in the future. Stock HU is perfect for daily use with good High-Low convertors.

·
Registered
607 Posts
good job. did you remove the stock tweeters? I was wondering what mad you want to mount the tweeters on the pillars. Was it the particular tweeter you used; do they image better in that implementation?

looks great !!!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
josephra said:
good job. did you remove the stock tweeters? I was wondering what mad you want to mount the tweeters on the pillars. Was it the particular tweeter you used; do they image better in that implementation?

looks great !!!
Stock tweets are still there, but they have been disconnected. I put the new ones on the pillar for imaging and this way the x-over is in the doors. I was going to kick panel mount them but the drivers side kick panel has notta for space, and I used up most of the passenger kick panel for the hi to lo verters.

I would like to have them up a and towards the seats, and I may do that with the installed surface swivel mount kit that comes with the new tweets. But at the time of the install, I just couldnt get comfortable with how far the pivoting addition moved them out into the cabin.

I would have drilled a hole and flushed mounted them, but the back mounting basing is in the way and that surface is anything but flat.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Looks good.. Did you just use some 5/8" or 1/2" mdf to mount to the gas tank area? I was planning on using some 1/2 but thought it might not be thick enough.. Also, how hard was it to attach to the metal bracket? Did you just use some sheet metal screws? I've got 2 amps and an audio control eql I'm hanging back there. Thanks for the help and sorry for all the questions..

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Frank said:
Looks good.. Did you just use some 5/8" or 1/2" mdf to mount to the gas tank area? I was planning on using some 1/2 but thought it might not be thick enough.. Also, how hard was it to attach to the metal bracket? Did you just use some sheet metal screws? I've got 2 amps and an audio control eql I'm hanging back there. Thanks for the help and sorry for all the questions..
Its 1/2 MDF. As for mounting it to the gas tank, I used the following method. I did all of this prior to covering with carpet and placing the amp. To mount I used 1/2 inch concrete masonary mounts and screws, the kind that have plastic inserts that expand.

1- Removed the Gas tank liner and then lined up the holes in it with my MDF board. Marked 4 of the holes. Then I drew a line on those boards and moved 2" down (or inside) the line, marked and drilled through the MDF.

2- Replaced the liner and the MDF board, checked to make sure I was GTG lineup wise with the holes, taped pilot marks, removed the MDF and liner, drilled my holes for the plastic mounts, and put them in.

3- Finished up the board, mounted the board, then mounted the amp. Done. Its one rock solid.

·
GO STEELERS!
5,106 Posts
How do the subs in the read deck sound?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fast GTO said:
How do the subs in the read deck sound?

They sound great. You arent going to vibrate the planet, much less the entire car, but they provide plenty of "pop" for what I listen to, which is mostly pop and rock. When you listen to rap/country (ok ok im all over the map music wise), they are probably not the best subs.

If pushed too hard (think loud rap or classical) they tend to sound "mushy". But I think thats a function of being a 6.5 inch midbass vice a true sub.

If you really want deep vibrating bass, open up the stock mounts, make a 1inch mdf trim ring and add 8's in the stock spots. I will eventually do this, but for now i am 95% satisfied with the 6.5s.

Another thing that is critical is that you soundproof the back deck (both sides) and the trunk with your dynamat of choice. Also use it to close off the numberous open holes between the back and the trunk.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts