LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Devil's Advocate
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obligitory best run:

13.4 @ 109 with a 2.1 60'

Now, for my impressions. First, let me say that everyone who has complained about the heat soak problems with GTOs are dead on. I've never seen heat soak this bad. I drove to the track, let the car cool off for about 20 mins, then went out and ran 5 or so 14 second passes at 103 MPH. I was not a happy camper. So I popped the hood and let the car sit like that for an hour. I then immediately got in and ran the 13.4. Pulled back around to the staging lanes, and with minimal wait, got another run in, but it was already too late, the run was 13.9 @ 102.

This is the first car I've ever had that has heat soak to this degree. Gonna have to find a way to fix that pronto.

Second, the tires on this thing stock completely blow. I was 'scratching' 4th gear, even on the 102 MPH run (and no, I was not powershifting). Gonna fix that as soon as I wear these out

Third, those who complain about wheel hop in these cars should be forced to drive a modded 03 Cobra. THAT is wheel hop. The GTO has very little. In fact, I didn't experience any hop in 1st gear, I got a little on the 1-2 shift though. Still, it's pretty minor. On a bad launch in the 03, I would hop for the entirety of first gear if I stayed in it. The GTO will just spin, which is MUCH better, overall.

Finally, the clutch and shifter in the GTO are miles beyond the stock units in the 03. I only missed one shift all night (a 2-3 shift), and that was on my last run. Overall, a breeze to shift.

Of course, these runs were all bone stock down to the air filter, 4000 miles, 1/2 tank of gas, and all jacks/spares/seats/etc. still in the car (including the 2 lb owners manual, lol), and of course, my 240 lb ass.

Overall, I was pretty happy. 109 tells me that the car has MUCH better times in it, I just got to find the happy launch zone, and get rid of the damn head soak problem

·
Non Denominational Car Nut
2,347 Posts
with 109mph you should be in the mid to low 12s..
need to get some drag rubber on it!

·
Registered
354 Posts
HTRDLNCN said:
How about high "12's"!

·
Devil's Advocate
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HTRDLNCN said:
Well, I'd be happy with high 12's, but I gotta do the IAT relocation mod first and hope that kills the heat soak problem. One good run a night aint gonna cut it.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I'm surprised you were not in 13.1 range. Figure we have close traps but I got a little on the 60'(2.02) you should have done better than 13.4 cause you trapped higher! Nice runs. You should hit 12's with that MPH. You will get even faster in 40F! Cool air=cheap man's S/Cer:)

·
Devil's Advocate
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jumbojet said:
I'm surprised you were not in 13.1 range. Figure we have close traps but I got a little on the 60'(2.02) you should have done better than 13.4 cause you trapped higher! Nice runs. You should hit 12's with that MPH. You will get even faster in 40F! Cool air=cheap man's S/Cer:)
Yea, I don't know, I would agree looking at your run. But the 60' was a good bit off. I think a 2.0 is probably enough to get high 12's, but I think I can get this thing into the 1.8 - 1.9 range with some additional practice. :gears:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts