LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
Just got hit, :cry: some dirtbag ran a red light and went right across my nose. The nose I just had ppf'ed TWO DAYS AGO. The nose is toast. The hood is bent back and will almost certainly have to be replaced. The front quarters are just barely tweaked, so they'll likely just straighten those. I drove it home, it seems to be doing just fine otherwise.
So, its off to the body shop. At least I have someone competent to do the work, as my wife's van got popped last year, and these guys were recommended by some friends and they did a good job.
Questions: Is getting body parts going to be an issue? But are the parts available locally, or do they have to come from AU? Is the new hood available yet? If so, is it just decorative, or does it have a cold box and connect to the intake? Anything else I should be thinking about?

Paul Herman
Impulse Blue/Black/A4
And only 1300 miles!

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Godzilladude said:
Hey,
Just got hit, :cry: some dirtbag ran a red light and went right across my nose. The nose I just had ppf'ed TWO DAYS AGO. The nose is toast. The hood is bent back and will almost certainly have to be replaced. The front quarters are just barely tweaked, so they'll likely just straighten those. I drove it home, it seems to be doing just fine otherwise.
So, its off to the body shop. At least I have someone competent to do the work, as my wife's van got popped last year, and these guys were recommended by some friends and they did a good job.
Questions: Is getting body parts going to be an issue? But are the parts available locally, or do they have to come from AU? Is the new hood available yet? If so, is it just decorative, or does it have a cold box and connect to the intake? Anything else I should be thinking about?

Paul Herman
Impulse Blue/Black/A4
And only 1300 miles!
geez, another GTO in an accidents. was it another ford driver?
if i were in your shoes, i would talk to your insurance company and body shop about getting a PFYC or MPD hood, your insurance company will only pay whatever it costs for the stock hood, and painting of course. so all you have to pay is the difference. so you could get a nice "ram air" hood for a few hundred bucks.
you could also talk to your body shop about getting the 05 hood, if it is possible.
sorry about the accident, i would be pissed if it were me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Godzilladude said:
Hey,

Paul Herman
Impulse Blue/Black/A4
And only 1300 miles!
What a bummer. The MPD hood is pretty kewl, and is functional.
http://www.mpd-inc.net/GTO.htm

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Godzilladude said:
Anything else I should be thinking about?
I believe murder and mayhem are permissible under such circumstance.

Back in the old days I had just bought a new Cadavaleer. I had my 3 year old daughter and 10 month old son with me when a kid in a Frod pulled out in front of me destroying the front end. After exchanging information etc. while I was driving away my daughter looks up with her little blue eyes and asks, "Daddy what is a F____G Orangutang". It was all I could do to keep a straight face and explain that daddy was upset and didn't really remember what he said.

Okay back to your story. It would be nice if you could get one of those new hoods. That would be the silver lining of a very black cloud.
:drink::drink:

·
Feynman fan
2,336 Posts
My dealer had no trouble obtaining a laundry-list of rear-end parts recently. I've heard of someone else, however, who has been waiting on a rear bumper mount (one of the parts being replaced on my car) for more than a month with the dealer saying "any day now" for most of that time.

Re: the '05 hood - my understanding is that the scoops open into the engine compartment.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Godzilladude said:
just realized that i did not answer all your questions
it is sort of a toss on how hard it will be to get replacement parts
you should be able to pick them up at the dealer, or your body shop should be able to order from whoever their supplier is.

the 05 hood says that it is just for "cooling" the engine bay. it is NOT a true "ram air" set up like the MPD hood is.
i would definetly do something other than the stock 04 hood though.

·
Feynman fan
2,336 Posts
Tails said:
I believe murder and mayhem are permissible under such circumstance.

Back in the old days I had just bought a new Cadavaleer. I had my 3 year old daughter and 10 month old son with me when a kid in a Frod pulled out in front of me destroying the front end. After exchanging information etc. while I was driving away my daughter looks up with her little blue eyes and asks, "Daddy what is a F____G Orangutang". It was all I could do to keep a straight face and explain that daddy was upset and didn't really remember what he said.

Okay back to your story. It would be nice if you could get one of those new hoods. That would be the silver lining of a very black cloud.
:drink::drink:
Little ewers have big ears.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hood scoopes with rain and snow

GTOdriver7 said:
the 05 hood says that it is just for "cooling" the engine bay. it is NOT a true "ram air" set up like the MPD hood is.
i would definetly do something other than the stock 04 hood though.

I know this is off topic, but I don't understand how the openess of the scoops doesn't adversely impact the engine compartment (e.g. rain and snow getting in there). How is this controlled in the case of the 05 hood ? :eek2:

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
GTOKaren said:
I know this is off topic, but I don't understand how the openess of the scoops doesn't adversely impact the engine compartment (e.g. rain and snow getting in there). How is this controlled in the case of the 05 hood ? :eek2:
the affects should be minimal if any at all. whatever little amount of rain thats gets into the engine bay will evaporate quickly. i wouldn't be worried about. im thinking about getting an 05 hood myself. if the price is right.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the suggestions. I asked my bodywork folks about parts, they checked and were told 4-5 days (crossing fingers).
Both the aftermarket hoods look nice. But the PFYC says Not Available Yet, and the MPD says 6-8 weeks! Not sure I'm excited about driving around without a hood for a couple months. I WILL call both, and see what their current status is.
Yes, anger and tears were mixed. But I will remain calm. Unless the insurance folks decide to jack with me. Then, there are days its GOOD to be a lawyer, mwah-hah-hah-hah!
Thanks for suggestions and commiseration. I need a beer.
Paul

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Godzilladude said:
Thanks for the suggestions. I asked my bodywork folks about parts, they checked and were told 4-5 days (crossing fingers).
Both the aftermarket hoods look nice. But the PFYC says Not Available Yet, and the MPD says 6-8 weeks! Not sure I'm excited about driving around without a hood for a couple months. I WILL call both, and see what their current status is.
Yes, anger and tears were mixed. But I will remain calm. Unless the insurance folks decide to jack with me. Then, there are days its GOOD to be a lawyer, mwah-hah-hah-hah!
Thanks for suggestions and commiseration. I need a beer.
Paul
well maybe you body shop is different. but i know the one that i go to is so busy that you need an appt. they are usually booked about one month. this would give you some time to get hoods
how can PFYC be out of their hoods? that would mean that people are buying them and not posting pics. who are you people? you terrible people? we need pics!

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
GTOKaren said:
Back in the day with the 68 hood Pontiac advised blocking the holes durring a rain event...

As far as hoods go.. PFYC looks much better than the MPD hood IMHO.

As far as I can see with the 05 hood, the scoops just vent the engine bay, they do not "Ram". This may be more than enough though because we all know that "Ram Air" is a myth. Cold air is the key and the 05 hood just may vent the Engine bay enough to supply CA to the intake.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts