LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
BattleHerks Forever
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my Stainless Works headers Friday. I started the install this morning and my car is till on the lift in pieces. The passenger side is a breeze, but I'm having a hell of a time getting the top line of the stearing rack to thread. I had every oone in the shop take a crack at it an nobody could get the fitting started. Hopefully I'll have better luck tomorrow, otherwise my car will be sitting in pieces for a week or so.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Hmm, that sucks. Probably wont get any sympathy from fbody guys b/c there header install, or even plugs was hell on earth. Let us know if you come up with any tricks to install. I'm leaning way towards paying for install but i may get up some courage.

·
BattleHerks Forever
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I let you know what if I find any magic tricks. Honestly I had an easier time witht the f body headers. Tomorrow I shall be victorious.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Well, not planning any mods over here for a while (have two other cars going under the knife first. Turbo Z/28, then an LS1 Mustang). :) BUT I will have to say the header installs on LS1 F-bodies are incredibly easy. I've installed nearly every set out there, and all but a couple are well designed (*coughSLPsuxcough*), and slide right in without any drama. If anyone in the Houston area is going to be doing headers on their GTO, let me know and I'll cruise over to lend a hand.

·
BattleHerks Forever
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup I had hookers on my mine, top notch quality. The SW LTs are nice too, its just that there is absolutly no room on the drivers side to work with more of an issue with the car than the parts.

·
Ludicrous Speed!
1,041 Posts
Been there, done that. Its really a 3 person job, one on each side of the rack and one working the header up in place. My steering cleared, barely, but we dropped it back out and dimpled the pipe anyways just to be sure. Also be sure not to bolt the rack up all the way to one side or the other, as there is enough slop in the bolt holes to leave your steering wheel tilted a bit driving straight down the road.

·
Registered
835 Posts
2Cool said:
Been there, done that. Its really a 3 person job, one on each side of the rack and one working the header up in place. My steering cleared, barely, but we dropped it back out and dimpled the pipe anyways just to be sure. Also be sure not to bolt the rack up all the way to one side or the other, as there is enough slop in the bolt holes to leave your steering wheel tilted a bit driving straight down the road.
That would explain why my car was so f-ed up I guess. I had to take it for alignment after the headers were installed, the guy couldn't figure out how it got so out of wack. :cool:

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have two 3rd gen. Camaro's... Headers, plugs, starter,& fan heat sensor cooling switch....There is so much room... THE PAIN>>> Cos :barf:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts