LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hesitant to do this mod. All I can say is do it. It totally changed the way my car drives. It revs so much quicker it's unbelievable!! I just got it installed and it was pretty wet outside. I cruised home about 30miles or so and it had dried up. I punched it from a dig and lit the tires up in smoke, 2nd gear was followed by a bunch of counter steering and howling as well. Can you say "Perma-Grin" :driving: I tried punchnig it from a 15-20mph roll and lit the tires up again. It's unreal. I must have been at the verge of making enough hp to break the tires completely loose from a roll. I used to be able to get them to bark a little from a roll but now the tach swings straight to redline and I'm careful not to bounce it off the revlimiter.

I ended up paying too much for mine, but that's ok. I don't feels so badly about it now. :p That is probably because I bought it from ASP direct though. I just wanted to make sure I got the newest version to clear the double roller timing chain. Anyway, just sharing new mods as usual.
Dougie

·
Registered
980 Posts
Doug was your stock dyno done with a totally stock car? Am curious because your numbers are almost identical to mine when stock + K&N.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
What mods were on the car when you got the "modded dyno" listed in your car done? I'm guessing not the pulley, but anything else as well?

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Thanks Doug. So now my curiosity would be, what effect does this thing have on the battery charging? Some people say, bad bad, others say, no problem.

A multimeter have you check it to? (Theme of the night I am going with, yes)

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
charging doesn't seem to be a problem at all. keep in mind I've only had it back for the 30 miles I drove it home. We tested the A/C and it was icy cold at idle even after 20min sitting there. On the drive home as well everything seems to be ok. I don't know how much hp this mod added if any but it just revs so much quicker! I can't imagine what the gears I have sitting here are going to do for the car. As soon as the LT's get here I'm going to get a re-tune and break into the 400hp range. I know I did all my mods ass backwards but I'll still get there.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
I'll repost the last thing I said in english - do you have a digital multimeter that you could put across your battery with the car on and see if it reads around 14V (that level would indicate proper charging)?

·
Registered
117 Posts
How many horses do you think you picked up from the pulley and how much did it run you? I know you have a cam, do you think it can help without a cam in your car? Wondering is this is another must have bolt on. Lol, something else to add to my list.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I searched quite a bit and it seems guys p/u on a stock car 5-8rwhp. I don't know if it would be more becasue of the fact that I have headwork and a cam as well. It is really the driveabilty as far as I'm concerned. It just changes how quickly the car revs and that was the major difference I can feel. I'm sure some HP's were picked up as well.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Sit non-stop in rush hour traffic at night with your headlights on, wipers on, A/C (or defroster) on, stereo on, cell phone charging, and watch that thing dip. Normal driving it isn't a problem. Mine works great. it's when I get caught up in traffic for extended periods of time where I have to start idling the car at 1,500 to keep it sufficiently charging.

Ok, I don't have my wipers on since I don't drive my toys in rain. :D

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, just for you I'll try a full load experiment. LOL, I really have to drive it some more because I haven't had it long enough to tell if there are truly any charging issues. I'll get back to you on that one.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
What was the part number of the pulley that you ordered, and how much was it? Was it ASP948500?

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
If you're stopped at a normal stoplight it *may* not be an issue as once you get going again, it charges right back up.

But around here, stoplights mean nothing because traffic is clogged no matter what and you're not moving very far very fast during peak hours. So you spend a lot of time at or around idle.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
I don't know about the ASP# anymore, but SLP's is SLP100226.

Any pulley will also require the purchase of two new (smaller) belts. The one for the A/C compressor and the main serpentine.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Well, I may just get one of these this weekend if I'm feeling spendy in which case I will get out a multimeter and take some readings so that we can compare and contrast. We'll see.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
The belt part numbers are

Dayco 760k6 and 405k4. I'm sure if you want Goodyear or other brand, you can cross reference the equivalent.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts