LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished the CAGS killer install. A number of ppl here discussed difficulty determining which plug to pull. I found it's very easy - they're color coded!
The plug closest to the front of the car has a white band around it. The others are red/blue.

Just got back from the test drive, and R.I.P. CAGS! Woo-hoo!

·
Registered
86 Posts
WS6.FYRCHKN said:
I just finished the CAGS killer install. A number of ppl here discussed difficulty determining which plug to pull. I found it's very easy - they're color coded!
The plug closest to the front of the car has a white band around it. The others are red/blue.

Just got back from the test drive, and R.I.P. CAGS! Woo-hoo!
Personally, I don't even know why anyone needs the skip-shift eliminator. I've only seen the skip-shift feature ONE time since owning the car, and that was while driving slowly in a parking lot to the driveway exit. Otherwise, in normal driving, it never occurs.

Are you granny shifting first often enough to need this?

·
Big Daddy Says
1,992 Posts
kn7671 said:
Personally, I don't even know why anyone needs the skip-shift eliminator. I've only seen the skip-shift feature ONE time since owning the car, and that was while driving slowly in a parking lot to the driveway exit. Otherwise, in normal driving, it never occurs.

Try my drive one morning and you'll understand...

·
Registered
199 Posts
gotzaGTO said:
amen brother!
I've seen the little 1-4 tranny display come across my information center only twice since I've owned the car, but I've always just left it in first a bit longer until it goes away and then everything is fine. I understand the need for you city driving folks, but cant you just stay in first longer until your out of its range? Thats what I've always done, and it's always let me shift into second without problems once the little display went away :confused: :confused:

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
gas milage, its cheaper to shift at lower RPMs then hold first, i know we're not talking about a huge difference, but it helps, and also too, traffic moves soo slow that you will hold 1st in the "shift from 1 to 4" range to long, and in second at the same range, youll be in lower RPMs. and who ever designed this 1st to 4th thing, try going to 4th at 15mph in the real world and see if the car moves.... it dont, at least not at the same speed that the a hole behind you is going that is about 5 inches from your back bumper. for a couple bucks, it was worth it!

·
Registered
199 Posts
gotzaGTO said:
gas milage, its cheaper to shift at lower RPMs then hold first, i know we're not talking about a huge difference, but it helps, and also too, traffic moves soo slow that you will hold 1st in the "shift from 1 to 4" range to long, and in second at the same range, youll be in lower RPMs. and who ever designed this 1st to 4th thing, try going to 4th at 15mph in the real world and see if the car moves.... it dont, at least not at the same speed that the a hole behind you is going that is about 5 inches from your back bumper. for a couple bucks, it was worth it!

Def agree, it was one of the stupidest things I'd ever heard of when my salesman was going over the car at delivery. I had already planned on buying a Predator from day 1, so I didnt bother with the $20 CAGS unit, but if I hadnt planned on the predator eliminating it, that $20 CAGS Elimintor unti would have been my first mod! The predator did eliminate it though as it said it would, becasue I havent seen it come across the info center since I've had the performance tune installed.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
CAGS was done to keep the LT1/LT4/LS1/LS6 manual transmission cars safe from a gas guzzler tax because supposedly if you're ***** footing around and it activates, you are keeping the RPM's down, hence not consuming extra fuel.

And yes, I do granny shift because these cars have enough "grunt" not to need to wind it out or add to noise polution to get the desired amount of "normal" acceleration. After nearly getting T-Boned in my Camaro one day crossing NW Highway @ Central Rd. I swore to override this stupid feature in any car that had it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I heard about that "Gas Guzzler" tax. It sure seems boggus to me. CMNT, I thought I heard that that tax is automatic (no pun intended) on all the Automatic cars... Do you know if this is true?

·
Registered
540 Posts
anmracing said:
I heard about that "Gas Guzzler" tax. It sure seems boggus to me. CMNT, I thought I heard that that tax is automatic (no pun intended) on all the Automatic cars... Do you know if this is true?
Yes, it is true.

--
Mike Lewis
PFYC

·
Registered
506 Posts
anmracing said:
I heard about that "Gas Guzzler" tax. It sure seems boggus to me. QUOTE]

The most profitable business on Earth... governments.

The 1-4 shifter was an engineer's idea to boost the EPA mileage figures. 'Course, these engineer's never drive these cars, that's for the union test drivers.

My bet is Pontiac will be forced to do a recall on all '04-05 GTOs to remove that after someone gets rear-ended and whiplashed. I figure that's a year or two away.

I'm also better another recall on the seat motors. There's no manual release and this will trap passengers in the back of the car during a fire, if no electrical is available and no front passenger/driver to operate the seat.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Man, I have never been on a forum that raises so much controversy over CAGS.
First of all, GM was doing this on their manual trans performance cars beginning as early as 1989 with the ZF S6-40, so its far from new or GTO-specific. Second, its really a great thing because it allows them to bypass the GGT and they make it a snap to disable. Would you rather not have the feature and get hit $1000+ for GGT? Third, for those folks who gripe about the ones who disable it - its America guys, we can disable it if we want. No harm to anyone else.

·
Detailing Guru
249 Posts
Fulton 1 said:
Man, I have never been on a forum that raises so much controversy over CAGS.
First of all, GM was doing this on their manual trans performance cars beginning as early as 1989 with the ZF S6-40, so its far from new or GTO-specific. Second, its really a great thing because it allows them to bypass the GGT and they make it a snap to disable. Would you rather not have the feature and get hit $1000+ for GGT? Third, for those folks who gripe about the ones who disable it - its America guys, we can disable it if we want. No harm to anyone else.
I agree, Jesus. I have never seen so much whining about it before. If you want to disable it, fine, if not, fine, who freakin' cares either way? I disabled mine because I want to shift my car into second gear when and how I damn well please, not when the computer feels I should. Get stuck fumbling between 2nd and 4th one time in traffic, then come back and complain about those who disabled it :slap:

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts
I hated mine. Its especially terrible when your in the snow.
I programmed it out with HPTuners

·
I'm gonna get you!
2,812 Posts
The 1-4 shifter was an engineer's idea to boost the EPA mileage figures. 'Course, these engineer's never drive these cars, that's for the union test drivers.

I think you have a terribly wrong idea about engineers. I would also rather pay 20 bucks to remove it than over 1000 in taxes.

·
Lab Lover
441 Posts
kn7671 said:

try making a left hand turn.

cags sucks balls. dangerous, damanges your car, and doesn't do crap for mileage, acutally it lessens it.

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts
spd98 said:
I think you have a terribly wrong idea about engineers. I would also rather pay 20 bucks to remove it than over 1000 in taxes.
Me too. I think CAGS is a dumb idea in of itself, but if it saves me $1k on taxes, put it in there. I can figure out a way to take it out :)

·
9 Second Club
14,778 Posts
gotzaGTO said:
stop and go traffic, this little peice is a life saver!
Amen...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts