LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Lots of 5-7 inch LCD screens out there...

Add 1 mini ITX PC board, case, processor, memory and hard drive.
Wireless network card (to manage files while its parked in your driveway).
1 digital audio output card.
1 FM tuner card.
1 GPS Nav card.

You'd have access to any music file you can come up with.

Drawback is no just throwing in a CD.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Wireless keyboard and mouse. Hide the T/R behind the screen or in the glovebox (I have a Logitech wireless setup and it works through walls out to about 25 ft so in the car should be no problem).

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
Just remember these smaller lcd's typically use composite video which is el stinko for text unless made huge, and I mean REAL low resolution. That plus the small size make them pretty useless for web browsing / file management IMHO. I've used these only for media playback... such as winamp visuals or tv or dvd.

It would be easier to put file out to the auto from the machine in the house ;)

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Here's a random DB15 LCD panel that I found. It's even a touchscreen. All you have to do is pop it out of the housing.

http://www.allcam.biz/products/lcd_touch_screen_7.html

These types of panels are out there - they're just hard to come across. Like Huntress said, you'll want to stay away from LCDs with only the RCA type of input.

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
the avic n1 is what i am getting, i just looked at one the other day and it was awesome. It has so much more to offer than regular flip screens. DVD, navigation, all the audio formats, the car dynamics to measure gs and stuff, and rear view camera.

I was watching pimp my ride and there is already a system based on windows called Drivesoft. Look it up it is pretty cool.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts