LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While ago somebody posted K&N oil filter HP 1007 used for LS1 motor leaks, i've gone 2000 miles in 3 months just changed my oil tonight and no leaks. I did use some white lithium grease on the seal.

Far as tightening the filter just put it on hand tight, that 3/4 turn crap just gives people problems. I've done more oil changes then i've had baked dinners.

Just wanted to express my opinion on it.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Can't Fault K&N

Yeah, I posted problems with the K&N filter. I used three in a row and they all leaked... but then, so did the Mobil 1 filter and the Purolator filter I used after that. It's not a "tightening" problem because it doesn't matter if it's hand tight or "3/4 turn" or whatever... my oil filters still leak.

OG told be about a possible problem with the block itself. I'm taking my GTO in at 15K for a "once over" and I'll ask the dealer to check it out.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
You sure that you got all the rubber grommet off from the old filters before installing the new one?

The Good Old AC Delco's have never leaked!!

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Yep, CMNT, the filter mount LOOKS clean as a whistle. I've always been careful to wipe it off and inspect for residuals. Whatever is causing this "seepage" must be related to the filter mount itself, because it happens with all brands of filters. Hey, OG, if you're out there, how about a refresher on your hypothesis...

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
OK, just checkin! :D

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
FLORIT said:
Yep, CMNT, the filter mount LOOKS clean as a whistle. I've always been careful to wipe it off and inspect for residuals. Whatever is causing this "seepage" must be related to the filter mount itself, because it happens with all brands of filters. Hey, OG, if you're out there, how about a refresher on your hypothesis...
Had more than one GM block that the oil filter adapter (basically pot metal casting) was cracked on from maybe being too energetic tightening a filter. After that they all leaked because the adapter could not maitain an even pressure on the seal. Simply replacing the adapter cured the issue. Hope this helps!

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Hmmm, interesting... upon visual inspection, the filter adapter looks OK. It's possible, however, that there is a small crack I can't see, which, under pressure, would surely seep some oil.

I had put this out of my mind since my oil level stays good between tanks of gas. Now you guys have me thinking about it again. My baby is flawed. :(

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
FLORIT said:
Yep, CMNT, the filter mount LOOKS clean as a whistle. I've always been careful to wipe it off and inspect for residuals.
I never do that, are you lubricating the seal before you install???? Any residual oil on the filter mount is whats needed for the filter seal(in my opinion) I even brush on a dab of white grease.

I made this post to clear K&N's name with their oil filters.

of course a filter seal sticking to the block I always check for but i've only seen it happen twice, spiffy lube filters of course.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
GMH GTO said:
...are you lubricating the seal before you install???...
Absolutely... but not with white grease. I coat the filter seal with clean oil when I fill the filter. (Say THAT 10 times fast.)

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Nothing but K&N oil filters here..

My new goat...
My Olds Rallye 350...
The wife's C5 vert...
Our NMRA Mustang racecar...
Even the Suburban and CK pickup tow vehicles...

BTW... NEVER use anything Fram... :barf:
I used to work there and they have been using inferior filter media since 1994!!! Somebody is paying for that John Force sponsorship!

Ed

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
I use the AC Delco PF44/46. :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts