LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
It was a...
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checked and / or changed all the fluids in the front end of the BFG this morning, so I thought this time I'd take a quick check of the rear diff fluid since the Kaaz is in there. Even bought all the stuff to change the diff oil (plus add some FM) and much to my surprise I found that the oil was as clean and clear as when I replaced it 1k miles after break in. I have another 5k miles on since last time - looks exactly like when I put it in.

Sooooo, for those of you with the Kaaz, how far are you going between oil changes and what is the condition of the oil when you change it? Sure seems good to me, so thought I should compare notes. Though the Harrop cover makes this job a whole lot easier, I'd prefer not to doink with it when it's not really needed.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
In still running mine in - so Im changing frequently as a precaution - probably average every 500 miles or so - I know - overkill. Im using the torco cause it costs lots less than the kaaz stuff. I ve got it down to where i can drain and fill in about than 30 minutes - the torco stuff is cheap - so no big deal to change frequently while its breaking in. I think frequency depends somewhat on how hard you hammer it.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
with a $800 lsd that says to change the fluid every 6k miles, i plan to do that. i have changed it twice so far (at 500 and at 1k) and the fluid looked good. then again, my stock diff had 20k on AMS and it still looked good.

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Change mine twice a year weather it needs it or not :) Once in april and again in July.

·
It was a...
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Change that #$^@!!!!!

Some additional info...should anyone come this way again....Just got done changing it out this evening...when I checked it, I did so by pulling the fill plug on the Harrop cover and dipping some out with my finger. That sample looked great, just like new. Then I drained the whole thing this evening and eewwwie was it nasty. I'm not sure how that can happen, but I think it might have something to do with how I change it. The car maybe completes 10 wheel revolutions before it's up on the ramps ready to change. So I think the truly contaminated stuff settles out and leaves the more-or-less good stuff on the top. Since you drain it from the bottom you get the most nasty stuff first and it was truly nasty!

SO - Kazz owners, yank that goop every 5k!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
its apparently important that you drain with the oil HOT

·
It was a...
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OldER Goat said:
its apparently important that you drain with the oil HOT
Or you need a bit of patience...85/140 takes it's own sweet time...actually reloading it this time went much better than it did in March when it was 40F...:banghead:

This nice thing with changing it (relatively) cold is that the bad stuff drains out first so you're sure it's outta there.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
BlueFlyingGoat said:
This nice thing with changing it (relatively) cold is that the bad stuff drains out first so you're sure it's outta there.
I believe the thinking is that any foreign particulate matter needs to be suspended in the oil solution for most complete removal when draining hense - drain it hot.

·
ChimChim is in the HD's trunk
4,966 Posts
Every 6k or every other engine oil change for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts