LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, question... I just had the Kaaz and 373's installed and the popping noise is quite harsh. Is this normal? It only happens while turning and seems to quieten alot after getting hot. I just would like some feedback to those who have this set up. I appreciate it. The fluid I am using is the Torco RGO 85-140 and I have one bottle of the Friction Modifier.

When cold and backing up on a turn the popping is extremely loud and can hear it echo through the BMR driveshaft and feel it in the shifter.

The reason I am asking this is, I have had dealt with Auburn lockers in the past with my Mustang and Dakota and never felt or even heard the popping that I hear with this one.

·
GTOAA 04-06 Tech Advisor
1,545 Posts
Yes, this is normal. Did you do the break-in EXACTLY like it is listed in the instructions? It is EXTREMELY important to do the break-in and then change the fluid while it is hot/warm.

I install the Torco oil only, no FM. A Harrop cover will amplify this noise.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I had to resort to adding the FM - 4 ozs. with a harrop. Couldn't bear it otherwise. I am told the binding decreases after some miles.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually purchased the whole center chunk from one of the forum members in Jax who I am sure properly broke it in. I bought his whole center chunk which included the KAAZ, 373's and the Harrop Cover, as well as the BMR drive shaft. I also broke it in my self. It's just way loud. Like a cracking pinging sound. Hooks up hard, almost like an air locker, sick. I couldn't believe the seat of the pants difference going from 346's to 373's. I wouldn't expect such a difference, I guess because it's in the ripe power band.

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Kaaz and 1 pc. driveshaft arn't quite NVH friendly, its not bad like a detroit locker, not abnormal for KAAZ to make some clunking.

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
CentralFLTRGTO said:
I actually purchased the whole center chunk from one of the forum members in Jax who I am sure properly broke it in. .
yeah.........bwhahaha :drink: :drink:

·
Objects in mirror dont matter
3,777 Posts
If the break in was done right, the chatter will decrease with time. A poor break in will = a noisey Kaaz, as the plates don't mate well.
I have just over 10k miles on my Kaaz, and you couldn't tell it from a stock diff during normal or HARD driving(hotlapping dragsx6 or twisty road with hard throttle and decel for 45 min straight). I get no pops now, just a very mild "gronk" sound(feel actually) which passengers don't even notice, but I, being neurotically sensitive to every little vibe, do. This is only at tight rights or from stop and idle to 15% level throttle.
The 1st 500 miles was the worst with all sorts of strange noises in there. Squonk, grrr, gronk, but only on light throttle stuff.
Hit it with torque, it should be dead quiet, even when fairly new because the plates all lockup and stay that way.
Torco 85/140 with 4oz.type F torco FM in a Harrop cover now. I broke it in on 1st Kaaz oil, no FM(first 100 miles and the crazy 8s);Valvoline HP 85/140 no FM(next 200), Valvoline again +Amsoil Type F(for about 500), then now run Torco as said above changed every 4-5k miles.

Enjoy it. Beat the shit outta it. If Mick couldn't break it, it can't be broken!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe that Mick broke it in as he said, I was concerned as to how loud the clunking is. I am going to figure 8 it again in the am and then change out the fluid. You are right at high torque, quiet as a kitten, only light or no throttle the clunking exists. Thanks for all the input. I know that Kaaz's site specifies 80-90 GL-5 but when I ordered the gear oil from a LS2forum vendor they suggested the 85-140 but the bottles state GL-6. What's the difference?

·
Objects in mirror dont matter
3,777 Posts
CentralFLTRGTO said:
I believe that Mick broke it in as he said, I was concerned as to how loud the clunking is. I am going to figure 8 it again in the am and then change out the fluid. You are right at high torque, quiet as a kitten, only light or no throttle the clunking exists. Thanks for all the input. I know that Kaaz's site specifies 80-90 GL-5 but when I ordered the gear oil from a LS2forum vendor they suggested the 85-140 but the bottles state GL-6. What's the difference?
GL6 is a suspercedent of GL5
Higher standard oil. Remember when motor oil was "s" approveed, then SE, and revised every few years to meet new standards? Same thing.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Not to stray to far off topic but anyone know if Quaife is going to make a diff or is making a diff for the GTO's. I ran one a while back in another car and it's just a 1st class setup.

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
I don't think you can break in a Kaaz wrong, long as your are trying to run it in. It will just take longer for it to break in.

You can't go back and try to break it in again. You can only do more figure 8s and hope it breaks in sooner. If its been over 5,000 miles it should be well broken in, no point of return.

GL6 is just a marketig term, it was years ago intoduced for diffrentials with a certain cut on the gears but has sinced been phased out for hypoid gears. (IIRC) GL5 is the highest API grade gear oil available, GL6 is compatible and Torcos markets their oil can obtain a higher level of anti wear/shock (basically).

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
GMH GTO said:
I don't think you can break in a Kaaz wrong, long as your are trying to run it in. It will just take longer for it to break in.

You can't go back and try to break it in again. You can only do more figure 8s and hope it breaks in sooner. If its been over 5,000 miles it should be well broken in, no point of return.

GL6 is just a marketig term, it was years ago intoduced for diffrentials with a certain cut on the gears but has sinced been phased out for hypoid gears. (IIRC) GL5 is the highest API grade gear oil available, GL6 is compatible and Torcos markets their oil can obtain a higher level of anti wear/shock (basically).
Thanks I think overall, this was the answer I was looking for. I am feeling better already.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Clutching in is critical during figure eights. It should be a given as you are coasting into the corner and not driving through it, this will release the rear and allow for proper breakin of the clutch plates. FM can be used but we never do. It will quiet down the plates but also put more wear on them. All this talk of FM being a must is false, we have had numerous calls on this. We have been running Kaaz well before the GTO and no FM has ever been necessary.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts