LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess the title says it all. I am going to keep the stock wheels until a larger variety are available. So, my question is. What tires would you get? I am thinking of getting 265/40 17's (for the rears) to maintain the sidewall height to width aspect ratio. The first ones that came to mind are the Toyo Proxies (sp?). Thoughts, opinions wanted...

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Well, the stock tires aren't bad. If you're just looking for a WIDER tire, the Toyo Proxes are good looking tires. Just be sure the 265 width will fit on 8" wheels. But if you're keeping the stock wheels, keep the stock tires. Buy new tires when you buy new wheels.

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
You don't have a lot of choices for 265/40/17 There's only a handful of tires in this size. Are you certain you can get a 265 on an 8" rim?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not 100% sure that I can fit them on the stock rims, but I am pretty sure. I'll have to verify that. Thanks for the input.

·
Been here for a long time...
4,662 Posts
AmesGTO said:
I want something for the stock rim that looks like the old Gatorbacks.
What size are the Mustang GT 17" tires? They have "Gatorbacks" that are 17", I just don't know what size they are. I was surprised that Goodyear even still made that tread pattern still :mullet:

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Tire depends on conditions. If you are in a dry climate with little to no rain driving and absolutely no snow stay with OE size and get the right rubber.

$$$$: 1. Goodyear F1 supercar
2. Michellin Pilot Sport
3. BFG KD

Budget

1. Kumho MX
2. Nitto 555

Kicking total ass at the cost of any wet driving
245-45-17 Nitto DR

For me.....
I need wet driving capability as a daily driver
OE rims 245-45-17 Winter tires for snow and
aftermarket or OE rims 245-45-17 Yokohama AVS E100 or BFG KDW

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I too am keeping my stock wheels, I plan to never replace them. I have spoken to several people at several different discount tires and every single one of them have said that you can put 275's on 8" wheels all day long. They have all told me that they have been doing it to mustangs for years and there has never been a problem. So all rubbing issues aside, they say the 275's are no prob. I want to put 275/40/17 Nitto 555R's on my rear, of course there is always the same tire in the stock size of 245/45/17. I just can't decide, how much more "performance" will I really get from a 275 vs a 245? These will be my daily drivers and they will also be what I use at the track.

·
Registered
593 Posts
To reactivate this thread, some of us are getting ready to replace the stock size tires on the stock rims. Any updates or recommendations on tire brands? I am favoring a summer performance type, softer than the 300 rating on the stock BFGs. Dry traction is the priority. Tire life not so important. Want something I can rotate so no DRs. The stock size seems the most prudent given the tight clearance in front. Ideas?

·
Registered
246 Posts
If you stick anything larger than a 255 on that rim (8") you are going to impact handling due to the tire bulging from the wheel and the integrity of the tire. Also, if you are going from a 245/45-17 to a 265/40-17 your speedo reading will be 1.3% too fast, speedo showing 60 mph you will actually be going 59.2mph.

My suggestion is wait on tires and get new wheels that are 9" wide and go with a 275/40 17 for a wider tire. The benefit of this is:
1) the tire will fit the rim
2) you can go with a wider tire than a 265 (265 is an odd size...with a 275 more choices)
3) your speedo will be only 0.1% too fast, thus speedo showing 60mph you will actually be going 60.0mph. No need for any correction

·
2,432 Posts
JRM346 said:
To reactivate this thread, some of us are getting ready to replace the stock size tires on the stock rims. Any updates or recommendations on tire brands? I am favoring a summer performance type, softer than the 300 rating on the stock BFGs. Dry traction is the priority. Tire life not so important. Want something I can rotate so no DRs. The stock size seems the most prudent given the tight clearance in front. Ideas?
I've been happy with the Goodyear Eagle F1's I put on. They look a lot better than stock. They are good wet/dry. I don't drive the car in the snow...

Here is a link to a bunch of pics of them on the car:
http://www.redgto.com/Default.aspx?album=GTO/Tires

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I did the 275/40/17 Nitto NT-555R Drag Radials on the rear only, the bulging was not even noticable and handling and wet driving were great.

Now, with that being said I WOULD recommend keeping the stock size tire unless you are changing wheels. I have since gone back to the stock 245/45/17's all around. Not because I had any problems, but just because I have stopped going to the drag strip. Also, I think Pontiac put that size tire on that size wheel on that car for a reason. I am going to wait to change tire size after I can change the wheels too. It's not like 245's are skinny anyways.

Now, I started a similar thread on this subject not too long ago and these are the tires that were mentioned for replacing the stockers, staying with 245/45/17's and keeping the stock wheels. I would wait until you burn up the stockers though, they are good tires (some guys are pulling 1.8 60ft times on them):

Nitto NT-555
BFG g-Force sport
BFG g-Force T/A KD
Firestone SZ50EP

These are all very reasonably priced high performance wet/dry tires. I hope this helps.

·
Ludicrous Speed!
1,041 Posts
I like the Falken Azenis in 245/45-17s. They are the tire to have, along with the Kumho MX, in SCCA street tire classes. Though they do wear fairly rapidly with their 200 treadwear rating, they stick like glue compared to the rock hard KDWS's.

·
Want Halo....
1,829 Posts
Everyone will have a different take and get verying degree of results from tire/wheel size changes. But I have heard 275's with 8" wheels, this is not going come without a cost to stability, handling and possibly safety. I know it can be done (and has been) but nothing wider than 255's should be on 8" wheels.

If you want bigger tires, change the wheels and go 275's.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts