LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Suffering Fools
15,298 Posts
I don't see any reason to get a double-DIN receiver. We don't have a double-DIN space, it doesn't have a built-in changer, it doesn't have a cassette player, it doesn't have an LCD screen, and it doesn't have a powerful amp built in.

I think you'd be better served by a good single-DIN unit. Unless you really really want something that will take up all the available space.

I just got a single-DIN Kenwood with all of the exact same features (except mine has 3 pairs of 4V pre-outs, not 2 pairs of 2.5V like this one) for $170.

·
Suffering Fools
15,298 Posts
Here's the one I got if you want to take a look:
http://www.millionbuy.com/kenkdcx590.html

Oh, it doesn't have RDS either. Not sure if you wanted that (the thing that displays the name of the radio station you're listening to and what song is playing).

·
Where are the women and booze
2,089 Posts
eh, the USB on the front panel is kinda cool, but I agree w/ lothar. For the money it would be easier to get something along the lines of an X590.

·
Suffering Fools
15,298 Posts
DiamondJoeQuimby said:
eh, the USB on the front panel is kinda cool
I wanted mine in the back. I just ran that cable over to the glove compartment.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I've been waiting for someone to get one of those non-touchscreen units. I think they would look really nice in the GTO, probably nicer than the more expensive touchscreen models (which are cool, but are basically a huge black empty space) since they have a lot of interesting detail. I think Pioneer just came out with a DD that has an onboard 6 disc changer, too.

I've yet to see a single DIN aftermarket faceplate that didn't look horribly out of balance visually with the rest of the dash. The factory HU is most similar in size to the DD, not a single DIN plus a sunglass holder.

Make sure you hit the DD Faceplate thread here... Jimmy has two finished kits ready to ship (usually he builds them in batches and you have to wait).

Which would you prefer:

Good luck!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just installed DPX-701

I just installed the above deck in my '04 Goat and have been very pleased with it. I got the double din kit from chimchim and the unit looks great, sounds great and fills up the space nicely. Will try to take pics and post this weekend. Picked it up for <$300 off ebay (Crutchfield was $449).

·
Registered
110 Posts
fastdad said:
^^so what are your initial thoughts on this deck since you have had it?
I've been very pleased with it. It had all of the features I required...sub amp out, 2 pre amp outs, ability to connect to the wired steering wheel remote from Pacific (I think the lower models in this series can't do this), capacity for a direct aux in connection as well as a separate USB connection, future blue tooth connectivity. Also comes with a separate hand held remote, which I've never seen much use in.

I've been impressed with the improvement in sound quality from just the preamp outs (not using the deck's power amp, which btw you can disable) to my existing power amps. I was using the stock HU with a variable Line Out Converter and wasn't pleased with the muddiness of the sound.

The only problem I've had was connecting more than a 1gb drive to the front USB connection. I tried a 6gb portable hard drive, a 4gb memory stick pro duo and a 2gb memory stick pro duo and the deck wouldn't see it. It sees the 1gb flash drive no problem. Still trying to figure that out.

The deck will say the album titles out loud when you use the software, and the display will show album and track titles when you use the USB connection.

Overall, 9 out of 10.

·
6.0h man thats fast.
50 Posts
cool, thanks for that...I was looking at this deck and your write up may have sold me. One more ? when you use the steering wheel controls do you still get that graphic display as you change options...(CD, Radio,..etc.) I am figuring you dont get the station display anymore though. Thanks again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts