LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Living the dream!
4,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did this earlier today. After re-assembling the fob, I thoroughly tested it and it works perfectly!

It actually took longer to pry the fob apart than it did to do the soldering.

Battery size is CR2032, and purchased from here: http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=42M1351&CMP=AFC-GB100000001

I didn't take any pics when opening the two parts of the fob, so you'll have to use your imagination for that first step...

Attachments

·
Living the dream!
4,784 Posts

·
Living the dream!
4,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
45 Posts
I Don't have a very good imagination. How did you get the Fob apart? Thanks for the write up looks good.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

·
Living the dream!
4,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
riding the wave!
2,293 Posts
hey H-NICEly done!!! and thanks for posting this excellent write up.

it seems you didn't have to add any solder. just heat, remove, heat, attach new battery, right? again, thanks!:patriot:

·
Living the dream!
4,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey H-NICEly done!!! and thanks for posting this excellent write up.

it seems you didn't have to add any solder. just heat, remove, heat, attach new battery, right? again, thanks!:patriot:
Thank you, and No, I didn't have to add any solder. I bought some before I started doing this anyways, just in case... There was plenty to use on the chip to start with, so it bonded quickly once I installed the new battery.

Thanks for putting this up, will be doing mine tonite.
Do you already have the battery with the terminals mounted on it? I would seriously advise buying it pre-made, and not attempting to burn them onto a standard battery!! You'll end up hurting yourself if it explodes...

·
1 of 262
10,283 Posts
I did this about a year ago. Each contact has a spot weld and if they are pried-up carefully they don't break (I curled them back). You can then replace the battery. To keep the fob together, you'll need a machine screw (short) and nut. If you look at the circuit board you'll see a screw hole. Mark it (remove board) and drill the fob, then assemble it and drill through the other side. Use the screw/nut to keep the fob together. When a new battery is needed unscrew it and replace the battery. I edited one of Hockeyman's photos so you can see the screw hole.

You could also epoxy the nut to the front inside of the fob and just drill the back half of the fob. The screw would need to be the perfect length.

Attachments

·
Militante
1,136 Posts
The bolt idea is pretty good but if you don't seal it with silicone or the OEM rubber seal you will lose the waterproof ability of the FOB. Just like the guys that cut open the buttons to replace them with the pretty red-blue ones on ebay. Looks good but don't get caught up in the rain, because you may not be able to get back in the car, or start it once you open it with the key.

·
1 of 262
10,283 Posts
The bolt idea is pretty good but if you don't seal it with silicone or the OEM rubber seal you will lose the waterproof ability of the FOB. Just like the guys that cut open the buttons to replace them with the pretty red-blue ones on ebay. Looks good but don't get caught up in the rain, because you may not be able to get back in the car, or start it once you open it with the key.
It's not waterproof from the factory.

·
one life to live...
416 Posts

·
Militante
1,136 Posts
It's not waterproof from the factory.
The buttons are in a 1 piece rubber and they are completely glued around, they won't come out without cutting them, and there is a silicone seal around the entire perimeter of the Fob (that was a PITA to get together without binding it). I'm in the Army and I keep my keys with me at all times doing PT or training and I have been soaked in rain and did drown proofing once with them on me (without knowing) and not a single problem with them getting water inside.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Hockeyman- have you noticed or could you check, do you have any better range with the new battery than before? I need to change batteries sometime, Ive got 2 cars and they other day tried the spare for one of them and it wouldnt unlock. The second key for my other car Ive never used, been hanging on the wall for 6 years, I didnt think it would work but I just checked it and it lock and unlocked.

·
Living the dream!
4,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did this about a year ago. Each contact has a spot weld and if they are pried-up carefully they don't break (I curled them back). You can then replace the battery. To keep the fob together, you'll need a machine screw (short) and nut. If you look at the circuit board you'll see a screw hole. Mark it (remove board) and drill the fob, then assemble it and drill through the other side. Use the screw/nut to keep the fob together. When a new battery is needed unscrew it and replace the battery. I edited one of Hockeyman's photos so you can see the screw hole.
I actually might try this on my second remote, once the battery starts going low. I like to fiddle around with things to see if I can find other alternatives for repair. Thank you!

Hockeyman- have you noticed or could you check, do you have any better range with the new battery than before? I need to change batteries sometime, Ive got 2 cars and they other day tried the spare for one of them and it wouldnt unlock. The second key for my other car Ive never used, been hanging on the wall for 6 years, I didnt think it would work but I just checked it and it lock and unlocked.
I haven't noticed it yet, but then again, I haven't really driven my car since I replaced the battery earlier today. Once the new battery was in, I stood about 10 ft from the car and locked/unlocked it, then I got in and started it. All worked great. I will try it out from different distances tomorrow and let you know.

·
This car goes to 11
1,505 Posts
You have got to be shittin me, they soldered the battery in? Some engineers come up with some really brilliant stuff, although sometimes it is the accountants that bring this sort of design to fruition.

1 - 20 of 180 Posts
About this Discussion
179 Replies
87 Participants
j_ds_au
LS1GTO.com Forums
LS1GTO.com is a forum community dedicated to the LS1 Pontiac GTO. Come discuss mods, horsepower, engine specs and more!
Full Forum Listing