LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
2005, 2004, + 15 other GTOs
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do i change the battery in the key fob??? Key won't unlock door any more. looks like the battery is welded to the contacts.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I went through this last year and got my key to work by soldering a new battery but no matter what adhesive I used it kept coming apart in my pocket. The battery is 30 dollars and a new fob is currently 47 dollars on Gm Parts Direct, (PN 92123129) and programming is super easy. You just use the two screws to transfer your key to the new fob and follow a video on YouTube showing you how to program it.

If I could rewind time, I would have just bought a new fob from the get go. Not only does the battery work great, but its super nice having brand new buttons.

·
2005, 2004, + 15 other GTOs
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went through this last year and got my key to work by soldering a new battery but no matter what adhesive I used it kept coming apart in my pocket. The battery is 30 dollars and a new fob is currently 47 dollars on Gm Parts Direct, (PN 92123129) and programming is super easy. You just use the two screws to transfer your key to the new fob and follow a video on YouTube showing you how to program it.

If I could rewind time, I would have just bought a new fob from the get go. Not only does the battery work great, but its super nice having brand new buttons.
After prying up on the battery a bit, I measured the voltage and it was fine, 3.1. put it back together, and now its working better than it did before. i used super glue on the case and it does not come apart. It now unlocks from further away. Must have been poor contact on the buttons.

·
Registered
42 Posts
After prying up on the battery a bit, I measured the voltage and it was fine, 3.1. put it back together, and now its working better than it did before. i used super glue on the case and it does not come apart. It now unlocks from further away. Must have been poor contact on the buttons.
Possibly. Then again, I wasn't the first one to take mine apart either. Some PO of my car used some kind of black silicone on mine that kept it from sticking back together well and it looked like it had been attacked with a butter knife. (n) I suppose if more care was taken it would have had a better outcome.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts

30 bucks for a new battery?
Did you get vaseline and a kiss with that?

·
Worthless reject member
40,708 Posts
In my experience, it's a pain taking the case apart and it usually ruins the case. GTOG8TA sells new replacement cases. They work ok, but are a little rough to get on a keyring.

·
Registered
42 Posts
30 bucks for a new battery?
Did you get vaseline and a kiss with that?
Ha, oops I misspoke. It was 10 dollars shipped from the site in this thread.

Still not really worth the hassle, IMO.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Maybe cheaper to buy new but....what are the chances its not a 13-15 year old battery already?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts