LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, New to the forum here. Little back ground I have a 04 GTO. My key fob hasn’t been working properly sometimes it works sometimes it don’t. I think it finally gave out. Not sure if it’s a coincidence but I wasn’t able to lock my car when I got home left it alone brushed it off, came back after couple hrs tried to start it. But it wouldn’t stay on it would die after couple seconds. After so many Tries it finally kicked back on. The theft mode is activated (the red lock with car behind it)

What I’m asking is, if my key fob battery finally gave out, would it prevent my car from starting up and staying on?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, New to the forum here. Little back ground I have a 04 GTO. My key fob hasn’t been working properly sometimes it works sometimes it don’t. I think it finally gave out. Not sure if it’s a coincidence but I wasn’t able to lock my car when I got home left it alone brushed it off, came back after couple hrs tried to start it. But it wouldn’t stay on it would die after couple seconds. After so many Tries it finally kicked back on. The theft mode is activated (the red lock with car behind it)

What I’m asking is, if my key fob battery finally gave out, would it prevent my car from starting up and staying on?
Just had this problem. Your going to have to buy a new key fob because the transmitter in the fob has to be in working order to keep the car running. My car just did the same thing about a month ago. There is a guide on reprogramming the key fob on youtube once you get a new key fob.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would recommend just buying a new fob as well. You can pry the key open and solder on a new battery if you want, and I've done this, but a brand new fob feels so much better. gmpartsonline has a new fob for 47 bucks, all you have to do is swap your key over (remove it by undoing the two screws) and programming the fob (look up "program GTO keyfob" on YouTube, super easy).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts