LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Used to have one
4,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i was MMOB cruising home last night from a delicious dinner with some friends, its about 1:30am so im thinking i'll go home without incident. well there seems to be lots of cops out so im takin it easy, when i see charger headlights coming up behind me. at first i thought it was a cop because i had seen a charger police cruiser a few minutes before. turns out its a 5.7 hemi (not the srt-8. the big HEMI on the side of it (as if you could miss it). anyway im sitting at a light he gets in the lane next to me, so i look over and hes got like limo tint in that thing so i cant see him, but he inching forward like he wants to play....sooo the light turns green and i give it about half throttle off the light to see if he wants to play. well hes way back then does a ricer flyby on me so i let him go. we come up to another light this time hes really rolling forward and takes off when it turned green...obviously he was looking for a fight so this time i really gave it to him. had a great launch (for the street anyway) and chirped second right in his window and proceed to layeth the smackdown through 3rd and shut down. then he just turned off the road behind me...shoulda got an srt-8 buddy! then you can play with the big dogs! anyway thought id share my kill story :gears:

·
Oh it's Friday night
5,658 Posts
Congrats ! Great Kill !!!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Congrats!!! Good Kill.

So far with me I have only got in one race with a Mach 1 and he was a pretty nice guy giving me a complement of "nice ride" after. I haven't had any ricers do the flyby yet or turn off before catching back up. I would like to think that I would catch up and complement the driver of the car that just toasted me. Especially to see if it is stock or what they may have done to make it run so well. (That must be the difference between car guys and not car guys).

·
My Couch Now.
916 Posts
The Chargers are so damn heavy. Even the SRT-8's cant run with LS2 GTOs.

And people bitch about the GTO not living up to the name...

·
Drive Hybrid, More Gas For Me
45 Posts
nzarnow said:
The Chargers are so damn heavy. Even the SRT-8's cant run with LS2 GTOs.

And people bitch about the GTO not living up to the name...
I may be completely wrong but i've come to the conclusion that LS2 GTO's and SRT-8's is a drivers race?

Correct me if i'm wrong here guys.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Nope your right. Some SRT8's are running in the 12's stock. I'd like to see a stock dyno for one because it seems like they are very under rated.

Before I did my test drives I was seriously looking at a Charger R/T and a GTO. I test drove the R/T second and i was very unimpressed. From a 70-80mph roll it felt as slow as my dads stock GTP. Nice cars but too much hype around the HEMI.

·
Registered
77 Posts
First time ever at the track (3rd week owning the gto), I lined up with an srt8 and spanked him with the worst launch ever and not power shifting. We lined up multiple times with the same results. I love the charger, but it seems they have a bad power to weight ratio.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Do you remember what it was running? I havn't seen any run in person but have seen some vids. I'm guessing the SRT8's only come in autos too?

·
Used to have one
4,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the only srt thats a manual is the srt-4. also any hemi car is an auto, they will have a 6 speed with the challenger though...an SRT-8 SHOULD beat a GTO at the track, ive seen them run as low as 12.5 bone stock (brent did it in his 300c srt8) but the regular hemi's are sllllooooow compared to the srt's

·
Acta Non Verba
1,023 Posts
I would think being heavier and having wider tires and more power and a better auto tranny that they'd be easier to launch and better off the line...SRT8's do not look slow on paper, I've never run one so I'm just speculating, but spanking one at the strip a bunch of times seems unlikely to me if you're both stock....maybe the driver stunk?

I know that my '04 A4 hands 5.7 hemi's their lunch routinely tho....

·
I said I was quiet...not nice
473 Posts
Nice kill. :turbonaug

There's a world of differentce between the 5.7's and the 6.1's in those cars.

Now if I can just FIND one to prove it...

·
Registered
7,196 Posts
Good Kill.

We had a stock SRT-8 at our last track rental. He started the day running mid 13s and got a 13.1 on his final run. It was his first time ever at the strip and his times got better as he got his 60 down. A more experienced driver could probably have gotten it into the very high 12's. From what I've seen on the Charger sites, very few of the guys are racing them and most don't get this good of a time.

·
Registered
782 Posts
My times are in my sig for both. My 60 ft. was 1.92 in the SRT8.

I'm surprrised the stock 5.7 guys try to tangle with GTO's, unless it's just purely for fun. I know of several n/a 5.7's running 12's believe it or not. They have top end mods of course, but that's hauling the mail for a big car. Won't belong before more of them are modded up, and then it's up for grabs when you come accross them.

·
Registered
335 Posts
the only srt thats a manual is the srt-4. also any hemi car is an auto, they will have a 6 speed with the challenger though...an SRT-8 SHOULD beat a GTO at the track, ive seen them run as low as 12.5 bone stock (brent did it in his 300c srt8) but the regular hemi's are sllllooooow compared to the srt's
The SRT 10 1500 also has a 6 speed( regular cab ) the 4 door version is auto.

·
Pure Power
485 Posts
It's only b/c you bought the fastest color :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Nope your right. Some SRT8's are running in the 12's stock. I'd like to see a stock dyno for one because it seems like they are very under rated.

Before I did my test drives I was seriously looking at a Charger R/T and a GTO. I test drove the R/T second and i was very unimpressed. From a 70-80mph roll it felt as slow as my dads stock GTP. Nice cars but too much hype around the HEMI.
Most are dyno'ed at 355-370 stock. Just asked a buddy over at their forums.

·
Is it really a V8????
1,038 Posts
I have personally talked with a SRT8 owner at the track this summer that couldn't break 13's. I could have beat him with my 04 A4. But generally the LS2 and SRT8 is driver's race. They are a damn sexy lookin car though. The new Challenger is making me contemplating trading in the Goat. Or maybe I'll just have both.

·
9 Second Club
14,781 Posts

Some time ago RPM had one on the Dyno making 388 as I recall, forgot the torque figures. Headers cost him some rwhp

1 - 20 of 31 Posts