LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
IXLR8
Joined
·
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in Michigan visiting my brother and had the prime opportunity to drive his car all weekend. He has a 2004 GTO with active ram air and M6. First off, I am really impressed. These cars are a nice package. Second, I had a couple decent runs with a C5 from a dig where the guy couldnt get past me. I was impressed. (Driver error maybe, but I kept his nose at the door at two different lights.)

Anyways. (Minding my own bussssinesss, not really)I was driving, my brother was passenger and his buddy was in the back seat. We are approaching a light on John R when I notice an STi. As we are coming up to the light it changed to red and I thought we were going to get to line up next to each other. Well there was a car in front of him, and as we passed him I revved obnoxiously. He cut over into the lane behind me and through a rev. I was anxiously awaiting the light to turn green because I knew this guy was going to try to go all out and I also new that I would have a big advantage being that he couldnt take full advantage of his launch. Well, he didnt need it. The light changed, I rolled out and hammered it. By the time I hit second gear he was already over to my right and passing me. I took it up to third and he was a good car length ahead. I let off and we (three of us in the car) were shocked. We actually got to talk to the guy at the next light and he said that he was modded and dynoed 470whp. That did make us feel better. He complimented the looks of the GTO(my brothers is bada$$).

Thats all...

Summary: Raced a modded STi, was beaten pretty bad...
 

·
13 year owner
Joined
·
16,379 Posts
the combination of 470whp and 3 full size male adults in a car are a losing combo from the get go. :D
 

·
Doc, Just Doc
Joined
·
8,767 Posts
WKDWS6 said:
Summary: Raced a modded STi, was beaten pretty bad...

470 rwhp in that car. He didn't want to try a dig because he would have snapped his CV joints! That's a lot of hp! You would need heads/cam or S/C to run with that guy!

WKD, what atr you bringing to Silver Dollar?

Doc
 

·
KBAS
Joined
·
221 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:
could you please explain this "active ram air"
Yeah... I want to know about this "active ram air" too... I'm guessing hood scoops that someone thinks "magically" link up to the filter... maybe scoops straight to the intake?
 

·
IXLR8
Joined
·
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DiSTuRBeDGTO said:
Yeah... I want to know about this "active ram air" too... I'm guessing hood scoops that someone thinks "magically" link up to the filter... maybe scoops straight to the intake?

Whatever you want to call it,,, Hood scoops that go straight into an airbox. What does "magically" link up to the filter mean?

Ram Air=air brought directly in from an open intake on the car where the air is "pushed" into it.
CAI= Air that is "sucked" into the car from somewhere other than the engine bay.
HAI=Air that is "sucked" from the engine bay.
 

·
KBAS
Joined
·
221 Posts
LoL! I was just refering to another thread where someone said adding a Ram air hood (with nothing else) would increase your HP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
EeEkk, for that STi to have 470awhp he had to have A LOT done to it. I wouldnt feel bad being beaten by that kinda car. Especially since you had a good 350-400 lbs in the already heavy car.
 

·
Oh my f*ck!
Joined
·
6,464 Posts
WKDWS6 said:
Whatever you want to call it,,, Hood scoops that go straight into an airbox. What does "magically" link up to the filter mean?

Ram Air=air brought directly in from an open intake on the car where the air is "pushed" into it.
CAI= Air that is "sucked" into the car from somewhere other than the engine bay.
HAI=Air that is "sucked" from the engine bay.
I think it's been pretty well debunked at this point that air is always going to be sucked into the engine.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
915 Posts
I hava a near by neighbor who has a Subaru Imprezza SRT 4 or something like that as a toy. Whatever! The thing is Turbo, has some intercooler, CAI and exhaust modifications. The thing is a small car but it is fast. He details his car where I take mine and I got to see all that's inside the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
adearmas said:
I hava a near by neighbor who has a Subaru Imprezza SRT 4 or something like that as a toy. Whatever! The thing is Turbo, has some intercooler, CAI and exhaust modifications. The thing is a small car but it is fast. He details his car where I take mine and I got to see all that's inside the car.
Subaru Impreza WRX, or a Neon SRT 4 :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
That STI would have beat the GTO stock. They run Low 13s to high 12s without mods
 

·
Resident Douche M3 Driver
Joined
·
1,597 Posts
Wow, nice death. To be pushing 470awhp he must of put a bigger turbo in that STI.

I like playing with those STI's, Evo's, and SRT-4's. They are actually pretty impressive little cars.
 

·
May I quote you on that?
Joined
·
22,046 Posts
Speaking of Scoobies, where's our buddy STi? He bought the T shirt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
662 Posts
Haven't had the fun of racing a sti in the goat yet, but did in my SS. Just playing with him riding all over my bumper. I took off and he was all happy to have stayed up with me, well until after I told him I didn't downshift out of 4th at around 40-50mph. If I wanted to tear him apart I could have dropped to 2nd no problem and been far away :D
I love my cam :D
 

·
IXLR8
Joined
·
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bclarke said:
That STI would have beat the GTO stock. They run Low 13s to high 12s without mods
If he was stock, I was confident I would have gotten him. Reason being he had to start out behind me and couldnt blast off the line. This car was sick fast.
 

·
Doc, Just Doc
Joined
·
8,767 Posts
WKDWS6 said:
If he was stock, I was confident I would have gotten him. Reason being he had to start out behind me and couldnt blast off the line. This car was sick fast.

WKD,

you need to be on your way to Byron for the drags tonight!

Doc
 

·
Aussie GTO Owner
Joined
·
66 Posts
WhiteTXMach said:
Especially since you had a good 350-400 lbs in the already heavy car.
3 people working out to be 350-400 lbs... I wish - I'm 250 on my lonesome...
 

·
NFC Champs
Joined
·
883 Posts
mistermike said:
Speaking of Scoobies, where's our buddy STi? He bought the T shirt.
He's studying abroad this semester in Europe. Spent the first half in Germany, now he's in London...and his poor Scooby is camping out in a garage in Charlotte, getting cranked and run for 30 minutes once a week :(
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top