LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
King George GTO
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was MMOB:angel: heading into work tonight. I wasn't even supposed to drive my GTO, because it is a 72 mile commute into work. My daily driver(1994 Eagle) had a belt come off this evening:madsign3: . I was on 95N going toward Washington DC driving in the HOV lanes when I see two sets of headlights coming up on me pretty quickly. I'm going about 75mph at this point. I'm in the right lane and they both pass in the left. It is a 7 series BMW and a Charger SRT8. I think what the heck, so I follow their lead. I come up on the BMW first and slowly pass him at about 80. I then come on the SRT8 and look over. He is looking over at the same time. I see his front end start to jump a little. That is all I needed. I downshift into 4th:gears: and start pulling on him immediately. By 120 mph, I have 2 cars on him. I shut down at 150 because I was coming up on some traffic. At that point I had about 4 cars on him. The BMW didn't want any of it. I slow it down to 70 and let the SRT8 catch up. He gives a thumbs up and then goes on by. I thought that the SRT8's would have done a little better than that. That was my first real test so far. After tonight I am definatley a happy GTO owner.

·
9 Second Club
14,788 Posts
tripdaddy0801 said:
I thought that the SRT8's would have done a little better than that. That was my first real test so far. After tonight I am definatley a happy GTO owner.
Good lord, I thought Woodbridge was a long way off....Great post and kills. I haven't heard of a really no chit run to 150 between the cars til now. I've only run an SRT8 Magnum for sure and was pulling steady in 2d and 3rd. The conventional wisdom was that he would have found something to even it up later but I think you straightened that out for us. Good Job!

·
Resident SVT Defender
906 Posts

·
GTO went bye-bye
1,455 Posts
they must be heavy bastids. i was running down at the local 1/8th on Friday and there was a Magnum SRT-8 running. his runs were all low 9s, with 9.006 being his best.

Mike

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
That speed might be a deadspot on that DCX auto .... but who knows. Seems like a bit much for a an SRT .... sure it wasn't an R/T?

Either way, good kill :thumbs:

·
King George GTO
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
8ball said:
That speed might be a deadspot on that DCX auto .... but who knows. Seems like a bit much for a an SRT .... sure it wasn't an R/T?

Either way, good kill :thumbs:
It definately was a SRT. I was also looking at various models of the Charger when I bought my GTO. Almost pulled the trigger on the yellow Daytona R/T. I'm glad I decided on my goat.

·
So it goes.
6,899 Posts
150!? How was the car feeling at that speed?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Great Kill.

+1 How was the car feeling at that speed?

·
LS1 GTO
234 Posts
Yeah for me it was 140mph and still only one hand on the wheel. Not scary at all (except for the whole breaking the law thing).

Oh yeah nice kill. The SRT-8's are mean looking cars.

Rob

·
Torque Junkie
53 Posts
Had a similar situation last week with a SRT Charger, I was in the passing lane on the highway and saw one in the travel lane, (had the SRT badge). I slowed a little to taunt him and he took the bait. He changed lanes and came up on my trunk. I waited and then downshifted into 3rd at 60 and took off like a rocketship, he tried in vain to keep up, but I was walking away from him hard. After a while he gave up. I thought he would have done better. Maybe his automatic???

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Beach Goat said:
150!? How was the car feeling at that speed?

The Goat is rock solid at 150+ mph (on a smooth straight road). I got my GTO up to 155 mph racing a C5 Vette on the alley (perfectly straight highway).
I was very suprised by how well my GTO handled at those speeds.

On the other hand, my modded WRX which I got up to 160mph was a handful at those speeds. The car would move all over the road.

·
Release the hounds!
102 Posts
GTOrque said:
Maybe his automatic???
All SRT8s, e.g., Charger, 300, etc... Are autosticks. Auto with a manual mode, and they're clumsy, haven't met anyone who loves them...

When driving one, you can, and probably should, drop it down from a roll if you mean business, as trusting the tranny to is dicey... In my experience they usually drop down for you, but it's not a given...

Nice kill! :D

150 mph? That is moving!! :eek:

·
Used to have one
4,734 Posts
ive had her up to 155 or so and she felt solid as a rock...i could almost feel the car sink down from the downforce the body generates at about 140 or so... she handles well and feels very solid compared to my srt-4...that thing was so light that at 155, well lets just say if i had to change lanes it wouldnt have been pretty! nice kill BTW!

·
I am G.O.N.E.
2,005 Posts
omg these cars are amazing atm top speeds i was around 163-165 and it felt like i was going 80.

·
Registered
782 Posts
GTOrque said:
Had a similar situation last week with a SRT Charger, I was in the passing lane on the highway and saw one in the travel lane, (had the SRT badge). I slowed a little to taunt him and he took the bait. He changed lanes and came up on my trunk. I waited and then downshifted into 3rd at 60 and took off like a rocketship, he tried in vain to keep up, but I was walking away from him hard. After a while he gave up. I thought he would have done better. Maybe his automatic???
Quick, somebody post another link to a site where someone asks about an '03 GTO, and links it to this site where we proceed to call all other car owners ignorant.

All SRT8's are 5-speed auto stick my good man.

·
Just here for the infractions
275 Posts
eng943 said:
Quick, somebody post another link to a site where someone asks about an '03 GTO, and links it to this site where we proceed to call all other car owners ignorant.

All SRT8's are 5-speed auto stick my good man.
I dont see (the way I read it) that he questioned whether or not the car was an automatic. I suppose that having a full sentence at the end there would have cleared up any doubts... Maybe we should ask the folks in the mustang forum for their interpretation?!!?!! :stickpoke:

1 - 20 of 68 Posts