LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was monitoring my predator tonight on my '04 m6 just driving around accelerating at a brisk rate, and i noticed occasional KR up to -4.5 degrees of timing being pulled on short moderate acceleration bursts only in 5th and 6th gear. otherwise KR is at zero. it only seems to happen occasionally only at slower speeds on part throttle acceleration. Is this normal? Are you not supposed to have any KR at all under any engine load? Or is a little bit of KR ok? It doesn't seem like detonation- i mean i can't hear it pinging at all when i get on it a little, and my LTFT's (between 0 and -3.90) and engine temps (around 195) are looking very good.

Is some occasional KR ok?

thanks-

·
Unregistered User (dont tell)
640 Posts
Below 2K RPMs? I had the same thing only with my A4. It seemed that every time the converter locked up around 40mph and I would accelerate I would get significant KR (up to 8*) between 1200-1800 RPMs. I took 1 degree of advance out between the 1200-1800RPM range and set my TCC lockup speed to 62 so it wouldn't lock up around town. That took care of my KR issues. Hope this helps. I am not familiar with the predator, but -1* of timing advance down low should eliminate all your KR. I also never heard any audible knock but I figured lots of 4-8* of KR can’t be good.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah mine was down low at the same rpms as yours. My predator which is the latest for an '04 does not have a timing advance option for part throttle, it just has it for WOT. So i presume that i would have to get the spark advance changed by -1 at a shop?

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have a sts on my 05 gto when i datalog with hptuners il get some kr at every shift but goes down to 0 but when i hit about 4360 rpms and i believe my speed is around 88-92 mph the kr starts going up to 4. We had this car dyno tuned without any kr so i was wondering why im seeing some now or can this be false knock.

·
Bye Bye Goat..It's Been Fun
3,934 Posts
brianL said:
I have a sts on my 05 gto when i datalog with hptuners il get some kr at every shift but goes down to 0 but when i hit about 4360 rpms and i believe my speed is around 88-92 mph the kr starts going up to 4. We had this car dyno tuned without any kr so i was wondering why im seeing some now or can this be false knock.
If it is tuned on a dynojet, that is probably pretty normal. The dyno does not load the car like the street does. Try pulling out 2 degrees or so in the tables whre the KR starts. If that fixes it, smooth the values around where you pulled the timing, to get a nice transition.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So if i get a little kr, mostly under 2* but never over 4* only in 5th and 6th at low rpms lugging it a bit, should i worry about it? again it's not hard detonation- you can't even hear it when it's happening, but it does happen fairly consistent (off and on) at or below 2,000 rpms in 5th and 6th.

·
3,934 Posts
ls1torkman said:
So if i get a little kr, mostly under 2* but never over 4* only in 5th and 6th at low rpms lugging it a bit, should i worry about it? again it's not hard detonation- you can't even hear it when it's happening, but it does happen fairly consistent (off and on) at or below 2,000 rpms in 5th and 6th.
I personally would adjust the calibration to remove any signs of KR. You are not going to notice missing a degree or two. Better to be safe than sorry IMHO.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
24v said:
I personally would adjust the calibration to remove any signs of KR. You are not going to notice missing a degree or two. Better to be safe than sorry IMHO.
thanks. the predator tuner does not have any settings that would apply to base timing nor any adjustments below 2,000 rpms unfortunately. the only thing that might have an effect is injector slope setting, but i doubt it. sure hate to spend $500+ dollars just to have the timing cranked back 1* down low. :(

·
3,934 Posts
ls1torkman said:
thanks. the predator tuner does not have any settings that would apply to base timing nor any adjustments below 2,000 rpms unfortunately. the only thing that might have an effect is injector slope setting, but i doubt it. sure hate to spend $500+ dollars just to have the timing cranked back 1* down low. :(
I would sell the predator, and buy HPT. It is a much better tuning tool if you intend to keep modding/tuning.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts