LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM has issued bulletin 04-03-09-003 to repair a knocking noise from the rear of the vehicle that may occur on a aggressive launch or acceleration (no one will do this with this car!!!!). The repair is to install updated rear cross member insulators p/n90447991 and 2 new bolts p/n92038482 between the body and the rear crossmember. Art Spong, Brand Quality Manager for the GTO, has requested all dealers update the GTO's as a Customer Satisfaction Repair. Vehicles involved are built prior to Vin break 4L246712. This is a very positive response to a minor concern. Shows GM cares. What a concept: fixing something before someone could complain about it. Great job GM!!

dms

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Nice to see this takin care of. GM :thumbs:

I wonder if we can find when the VIN break is to correlate with TPWs ??

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Vin Break For Insulators

04bluegto said:
so will my gto tpw 4/12 already have this or will they fix it when they get it in?
ALL GTO'S BUILT AFTER 4L246712 WILL HAVE THE UPDATED PARTS. ALL VEHICLES BEFORE THIS VIN BREAK HAVE THE OLD STYLE AND SHOULD BE
UPDATED IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO HEAR THE NOISE.

DMS

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I went to the dealer today and made an appointment to get mine installed. I had to call three dealers to get this done. The first dealer just flat-out denied there is a service bulletin. The other two were good about it.

Be warned though. You need to complain about the banging under hard acceleration. If you just ask for the fix they can deny you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
dont be so quick to compliment gm.It varies by area and part of the country.As of last Friday the GM field rep FOR OUR AREA told my dealer no such rear end issue existed even with the bulletin out.Also denied the clutch issue and hasselled me for over one week.Got the word today,finally, from the dealer that they were ordering all the clutch parts and installing them on Monday of next week without approval from GM.This car is very nice,but not a home run by any stretch and Gm is still not following the hope or wishes of Bob Lutz.Read his interview given to Edmunds ON THEIR WEB SITE . His vision for GM and the GTO doesnt meet where the rubber hits the road.Can you even imagine this car not having an oil pressure gauge.It sure shocked me when pre order was delivered. The brakes are weak,lack feedback and have to much pedal travel..In my view its a 7 on a scale of 10.Better than any recent GM,BUT FAR BEHIND THE LUTZ TARGET OF THE BMW M3.....read his interview,its brillant and on the mark,now if only his philosphy was being carried out!

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
scheer said:
dont be so quick to compliment gm.It varies by area and part of the country.As of last Friday the GM field rep FOR OUR AREA told my dealer no such rear end issue existed even with the bulletin out.Also denied the clutch issue and hasselled me for over one week.Got the word today,finally, from the dealer that they were ordering all the clutch parts and installing them on Monday of next week without approval from GM.This car is very nice,but not a home run by any stretch and Gm is still not following the hope or wishes of Bob Lutz.Read his interview given to Edmunds ON THEIR WEB SITE . His vision for GM and the GTO doesnt meet where the rubber hits the road.Can you even imagine this car not having an oil pressure gauge.It sure shocked me when pre order was delivered. The brakes are weak,lack feedback and have to much pedal travel..In my view its a 7 on a scale of 10.Better than any recent GM,BUT FAR BEHIND THE LUTZ TARGET OF THE BMW M3.....read his interview,its brillant and on the mark,now if only his philosphy was being carried out!

do you have the link?

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Concerns on the Noise

mlc said:
I went to the dealer today and made an appointment to get mine installed. I had to call three dealers to get this done. The first dealer just flat-out denied there is a service bulletin. The other two were good about it.

Be warned though. You need to complain about the banging under hard acceleration. If you just ask for the fix they can deny you.
Actually, I am not that surprised some may have problems. This info is fairly new. If the Service department is not keeping current with GM's voice mail engineering updates and information they can get from "Dealerworld" they may not even know there is a issue/fix. It would be easier if you do tell them you have the concern. But the Brand Quality Manager for GTO, said in his voice mail message to all service managers he wanted us to take a pro-active approach and get it taken care of to all vehicles involved. We called the owners we have today, and ordered the parts for them. i can tell you, every owner was very satisfied with our up front fix it now attitude and concern. I can also tell you we do have exceptionally great GM field reps in our area. If someone is having problems with a dealer, I recommend a very business like conversation with the service manager, and if still a concern, the General Manager. If that fails, then you should call Pontiac Consumer relations and seek assisitance and request them to help set up an appointment with the area manager. If all else fails, move to my area and see me!!

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Not required to be done

the noise is an annoyance and not a safety relate concern. If it does not bother you, then let it be. Again the bulletin is a customer satisfaction bulletin, and not a recall. In fact, i was talking to some friends about this concern. As mentioned, the noise only occurs on hard or agreesive accel. With the complaint, everyone will know how you dirve. However, when in rome do as the romans.....? the GTO was meant to be driven and enjoyed.

dms

·
Registered
42 Posts
The service mgr at my dealership was not, and is not aware of the clutch issue,nor was the GM rep for our area.The GM rep was at the dealership on Fri and very frankly didnt want to hear about it from any of us and didnt want to entertain any action etc.Sad but true.The Service Mgr visited this site at my suggestion,agreed their was a problem and ordered the parts for my GTO .On top of that my VIN

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
My dad - who worked at GM in quality handling management level warranty and service issues - has said that there should be no problems in getting a dealership to make this fix. He said once there is a TSB issued, the dealership will get paid for the work as warranty work, and there should be no attempts to duplicate the problem or any 'flack' given about the repair.
I know that a couple of forumer's had good responses from Jim Hopson when there were initial preorder issues. If there are ongoing dealer issues with getting this problem fixed, I wonder if an email to him might help?
My appointment is monday - we'll see how it goes. I'm going to the closest dealer to start - since it's 40 miles to the dealer where I bought my car and there tons of closer Pontiac dealers in my area.
Dan

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
cjlannoy said:
My "thunk in the trunk" has now been fixed. Took less than 1/2 hour and perfectly fine now.
It took that long to bury the body I assume.
:drink: :drink:

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Recall??

I dropped the Goat off to get the "thunk in the trunk" fixed and they told me it was now a RECALL repair! When I pick it up this afternoon, I will try to get more info.

They are fixing the following:
"Thunk in the trunk."
Nut missing where trunk housing attaches to underside of vehicle.
Screws missing from front fascia where it attaches to passenger side wheel well.
Exhaust leak where tail pipes attach to catbacks (both pipes show black soot exiting from bolted connections toward catbacks.)
Too much play in rear most tail pipe bracket, allowing tail pipes to "smack" underside of vehicle on (ahem) aggressive launch.

While we were under the vehicle, I verified that I have the yellow "OK" that indicates my "clutch stuff" is torqued correctly. My VIN numbers end with L193217.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Dang it, I forgot to ask about that recall notice info.

It may be my imagination, but the car seems to "push forward" better when I change gears, now that the "thunk in the trunk" fix has been installed. I have not verified the noise is gone because it is raining here and I don't want to "get on it" when the roads are wet. I'll find out this weekend, for sure.

Would you believe they had to order the screws for the front fascia? Damn, it's just a screw. You'd think they'd have some laying around. :confused:

·
Feynman fan
2,336 Posts
I heard "the thunk in the trunk" for the first time today (after about 350 miles) because it is rainy here! I goosed it a little too hard leaving a stop light and broke the back-end loose. Not the first time I've let 'em slip but the first time they started hopping. I felt like the Easter bunny! I'll be e-mailing my dealer as soon as I post this reply...

·
Registered
392 Posts
dms, Thanks for the up date. Made copy of the parts#'s and my VIN, then went to my dealer. We'll see how fast they get the new parts. I'll move up the chain if no results... I'm not far from ya. Up north 2hrs. Lakeport...

Scheer, I've noticed the soft brakes too. Did talk to a car friend / possible ABS system??? Have no problem stopping the GOAT. Anyone else having soft brakes??

Florit, glad to hear they are fixing your car!!!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts