LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting this setup: http://marylandspeed.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=41&products_id=494
with the kooks connection pipes.

My main question is this: My GTO is stock, and would remain so except for the headers. Would I see worthwhile gains for the cost?
Also, are the connection pipes with metallic cats worth it? Would it still be "street legal" and pass NC emissions?
And lastly, would it benefit me any to change anything past the connection pipes or is stock setup okay?

·
Parting My GTO Out
1,833 Posts
I bet you'll see about a 25rwhp and a 30rwtq gain from just headers. A tune will add a few more hp/tq. Get your headers coated to reduce heat.

The metallic cats are just connection pipes that make it look like you still have something besides straight pipes. The offroad pipes are louder. I'm not sure how strict NC is about headers, but I know people in Cali can't have LT headers. They have to go with shortys.

The stock exhaust is pretty good. If you want more of an agressive sound, change it. If not, leave it stock.

·
I'm gonna get you!
2,812 Posts
you need a tune to get everything you can from the headers,

·
I love my Goat!
5,963 Posts
I love the sound of mine, Kooks LTs thru stock muffler.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information guys! So, if I understand correctly: I'd have to get shorties to keep cats in the setup, or with the LTs and metallic cats use a tuner to disable rear 02s to prevent SES lights and it should pass inspection?

I think NC is pretty harsh with the emissions, so I might have to consider shorties.

What kind of gains would I see with quality shorty setup?

·
Registered
429 Posts
You will see nearly the same gains with shorties.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts