LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just got my kooks in last thursday and was looking at the directions for installing them and it said that i would have to lift the engine a little bit. Now theres no way i could do that or even trust myself if i could so i was wondering what kind of cost im looking at for taking it to someone else for the install.

·
Registered
132 Posts
drop the steerlng rack and install the drivers side from the bottom, use the dynatech installation instrutions, do a search...there on here somewhere, i just installed mine yesterday

·
Premium Member
7,700 Posts
chu_ra said:
So i just got my kooks in last thursday and was looking at the directions for installing them and it said that i would have to lift the engine a little bit. Now theres no way i could do that or even trust myself if i could so i was wondering what kind of cost im looking at for taking it to someone else for the install.
If you don't feel confident enough to lift the engine, maybe you should find someone to help you do the header install.

Hardest part is getting the steering rack back in the car. If you don't have a lift it's a PIA. But I couldn't get the left header in with out lifting the engine a bit, and the right side needed to be lifted to install also. (As well as the front spark plug)

·
Owns 3 GTO's
16,515 Posts
Kooks came with instructions? I did not get any. Just did what i needed to get them in. You can unbolt the drivers side engine mount, and carfully lift the engine a little. It will aid you in getting the drivers side header in. You will need to still drop the steering rack to.

·
Not Vengeance..Punishment
1,401 Posts
6.OWNED said:
drop the steerlng rack and install the drivers side from the bottom, use the dynatech installation instrutions, do a search...there on here somewhere, i just installed mine yesterday
+1...with the aforementioned technique, there is no need to lift the engine that I know of.

-K

·
Premium Member
7,700 Posts
Kook’s GTO Headers install from the top (passenger side) and from under the vehicle (driver’s side). Raising and securing the vehicle with jack-stands is a must when a lift isn’t available. Oxygen sensor extension harnesses will be needed to complete the installation. (2004 GTO – 1pr 12” #109004) / (2005 GTO – 1pcs 12” #109004-1 and 1 pcs 18” #109010-1) – Sold Separately.

DO NOT ATTEMPT this installation if proper Safety Equipment isn’t available to you. Seek assistance of a professional installer.

Disconnect Battery – Raise Vehicle and secure with jack-stands.
Remove spark plug wires from spark plugs.
Remove driver’s side heat shield to provide additional space to work. (Note: Shield simply slides straight up) Removal of passenger side shield is unnecessary.
Remove engine pipes and exhaust manifolds. Take extra care to prevent damage to Oxygen Sensors.
Remove belly shield below engine. / Clean exhaust port gasket surfaces.
Remove chassis to body bracket on driver’s side (Note: This bracket also secures the hydraulic clutch line that leads to the bell house.
Remove pinch bolt from steering shaft and slide off rack.
Remove rack mounting bolts to frame and lower rack for additional clearance.
Remove driver’s side motor mount bolt located under sub-frame. (Note: Driver’s side header installation requires raising the engine. Steering shaft locates between primary tubes ¼ and 2 – 3 on driver’s side header).
Raise engine on driver’s side approximately 2” and install driver’s side header. With header in position slowly lower engine and catch 2 bolts, but leave loose. (Note: supplied with your install kit is lock washers that must be used with the factory bolts).
With driver’s side header loose, install chassis to body bracket and hydraulic clutch line bracket.
Place rack and pinion into position and install mounting bolts.
Slide steering shaft in place and tighten pinch bolt.
Install remaining header bolts (Using lock washes) and tighten.
Install heat shield.
Install driver’s side motor mount bolt and tighten.
Install passenger side header (Note: This header slides in from the top. Removal of any parts or rising of engine is unnecessary).
Install belly shield.
Install remaining exhaust system including oxygen sensors. (Note: Forward oxygen sensors need extension harnesses).

If additional assistance is needed please contact Kook’s Custom Headers toll free at 866-586-5665.

Congratulations on your purchase of Kooks Custom Headers. We’re absolutely sure your new Kook’s Header System will provide many miles of satisfaction.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you don't feel confident enough to lift the engine, maybe you should find someone to help you do the header install.
My problem is i don't know to many people that could help me with something like this.

·
Unnaturally Aspirated
798 Posts
yeah Kooks come with instructions but they really suck. There like 21 lines of fragment sentences.

Dynatech installation instructions are really good.

Jacking the engine up is really simple, one 3/4 bolt off the bottom of driver side of engine and then jack it up, place your jack a hair toward the drivers side that way it lifts more on that side. You can leave other bolt on, because it's a rubber boot on both sides and will compress as your raise the driver side.

Kooks instructions don't tell you to unhook the two power steering lines from the steering rack. How your supposed to get the steering rack out of the way without taking out those two lines is beyond me. It will barely budge since the lines are bent solid against the frame. Once the steering rack was lowered out of the way the driver side header went in very easily.

People say the power steering lines are tuff but they were pretty easy, just handstarted them back on and then used a crows foot to tighten them. I bought a set of crowsfeet for 20 bucks at pep boys. You need 3/4 and 5/8 for the two power steering lines.

·
THE ROKET WAS SOLD ON 6/22/14
9,794 Posts
I was charged $150.00 from my dealers service dept to install them. They even re-tightened the the system after 100 miles.

ROK

·
Ka-Boom!
1,987 Posts
+2 on the dynatech instructions, I put my drivers side in from the bottom and dropped the rack. I didnt lift the engine. PITA install but definately worth saving the money for a install.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just installed my kooks today also. I agree dropping the rack is the right move, installed from the bottom without having to jack the motor.

·
I like pie.
267 Posts
$150???

damn are they that cheap to have installed?

I have no way to do it myself, nor the balls. Install price is my main reasin for not having LT's yet

·
Ka-Boom!
1,987 Posts
for $150 I would have had them do it, thats cheap. I dont think whoever was quoting that knows what they are getting into.

·
Unnaturally Aspirated
798 Posts
yeah for 150 I would of payed to have them installed for sure. Jump on that deal if you can get it.

·
9,794 Posts
It's true, that's what I paid my dealer to install them. ($150.00) It took them a little under 2 hours at $80.00 per hour, no other parts were needed.

ROK

·
Registered
240 Posts
2 hours is pretty damn fast, it took me and the old man almost 6 on a lift. We dropped the rack and had no problems until we tried to reconnect the PS lines. That was the only time consuming part.

Used the dynatech directions btw.

·
Ka-Boom!
1,987 Posts
Same here, about 6 hrs on a lift and it seemed like most of the time I was dsealing with putting the rack back in and connecting the lines.

·
9,794 Posts
BlueOnBlue05 said:
2 hours is pretty damn fast, it took me and the old man almost 6 on a lift. We dropped the rack and had no problems until we tried to reconnect the PS lines. That was the only time consuming part.

Used the dynatech directions btw.
The Mechanic had a helper that was in training, he did most of the bull work. They had some kind of tool for the rack hoses and bolts, kind of looked like a boomerang on steroids. The rest of the install was all straight forward as far as I could see. And I was right there watching the whole install. They started on it @ 8:40 am and was done @ 10:18 am. Most of the work was done with air tools.

ROK

1 - 20 of 24 Posts