LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I Ride A Goat To Work
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning the following mods and need to know what's the best dia. headers to get.

- Lingenfelter CAI:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=005&item=150018947974&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

- Lingenfelter cam + spring kit:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=005&item=150038658613&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

- Kooks LT's with catted mids

Does this cam justify a 1-7/8" dia rather than a standard 1-3/4" dia tube for the Kooks headers? I have a feeling there wouldn't be enough back pressure but wanted to be sure first. I have about $2,000 to spend and want to make this upgrade count. Does it sound like a good setup for this amount of money? Feel free to suggest alternatives.

Thanks!

·
Been here for a long time...
4,659 Posts
I have that cam. I think it's a little too small for an LS2 though. Its only a little hotter than what you have now. 1 7/8" is over kill for that cam.

Any cam you get will need a tune to go along with it so factor that into the price as well.

·
I Ride A Goat To Work
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know of anything a little more aggressive that won't sacrifice a reasonably smoothe idle? This is my daily driver and I don't want to kill my engine over time. I know it's all about a balance but from what I'm reading I could still afford to increase the lift/duration a tad while maintaining a somewhat normal idle.

·
I Ride A Goat To Work
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm assuming also as a general rule when you replace a cam you also replace:
Springs
Push Rods
Timing cover/oil pump gaskets
front seal
crank bolt
oil/filter ?

·
Look at me.
2,833 Posts
I have the same LPE GT2-3 cam and the Kook's 1 7/8 headers. You don't need to worry about the 1 7/8 being "too big" - they would do fine on a stock LS1, and even better with the cam/heads. The idle at 800 rpm is not rough at all, barely lopey.

jackjackjoe said:
I'm assuming also as a general rule when you replace a cam you also replace:
Springs
Push Rods
Timing cover/oil pump gaskets
front seal
crank bolt
oil/filter ?
The kit you linked to has the springs included, but yes you want to replace those.
Push rods are not necessary, depending on the heads you use.
Timing cover/pump gasket - optional
Front seal - optional
Crank bolt - buy the longer one.
wouldn't hurt to replace the oil either.

EDIT - I'm basing this info on an LS1, just noticed you're an LS2 - as others have said, I wouldn't waste the money/time on this cam with an LS2.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts